RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening those wiser than I in all things P38!

Okay, where do I start with this one? Those of you who read my intro will know that I'm not particularly gifted where spanners and socket sets are concerned...but in these times of austerity, it very much is a case if you don't have a go, you'll never know! `)

So, I purchased this 1998 4.0 V8 with 122k on it and full service history up to 88k....I took a gamble because it was cheap enough and looked nice! I am now learning and coping with the various issues! Given the lack of service for the past 40k, I thought 'prudence dictates' get one done, changed the oil, fitted new Champion plugs, leads oil, air and pollen filters, once this had been done and before doing the belt, I fired the beast up to make sure everything was tickety boo....well in short, it wasn't! It was running rougher than a bear's arse! I firked about making sure everything was tight and tried again.....still nothing better, lots of popping, fizzing and banging, and to top it all, what sounded like a death rattle from the offside CAT! Bugger, I thought to myself, I'll look at that in more depth tomorrow (being Sunday) and went on to look at the fuel filter....that would not budge an inch, it appears to be seized onto the fuel line! RAVE is not very helpful in this regard, does anybody know if it is a left or right hand thread? Has anybody had one of these things seize onto the fuel line?

Having re-checked the plugs and leads, I've decided that maybe the MAF has packed up and ordered a new one...hopefully that will cure it? Thoughts and comments anybody?:oops:

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Re: From Basic service to disaster in a weekend! Ideas please?

check engine light? OBD2 codes?

·
Registered
108 Posts

not to sound stupid here but have you verified the reattached plug wires are in the correct firing order?

The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

The cylinder order, looking at the block from standing in front of the truck(LHD), is...
Driver's side, front to rear: 1-3-5-7
Passenger side, front to rear: 2-4-6-8

·
Premium Member
626 Posts

If you're thinking its the MAF but it was running fine before you started changing plugs etc then its not the MAF.
If in doubt then take off the MAF and clean it and then re-attach it but I'm with trichard on this as I think you may have zigged when you should have zagged and either reattached the plugs in the wrong order or replaced the plugs with plugs that are not suitable for your rig or are not spaced correctly,just my 2 cents.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts

I'm going to run with double checking the order of the HT leads - if they're fitted incorrectly, then will make it run like a bag of bolts (if it runs at all)

The MAF on the GEMS vehicles doesn't seem to be as much of a failure item as the later Bosch ones. The GEMS MAF also seems to be able to be cleaned with good results - whereas the Bosch ones seem to just fail.

If it's not the HT leads, then let us know and i'm sure there will be more suggestions!

Cheers,
Marty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts

The car will run better then what your describing with the Maff. removed. Again check the leads, at the plugs and at the coils..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks everybody, it seems now to have settled down and is running well, I suspect that for some reason, it has taken a while for 'Hugo' to realise he has new oil, plugs and leads...he seems to have been abused by his previous keeper and is now receiving and getting used to the milk of human kindness so to speak! Well, actually, when i say running well, the offside CAT is completely shagged and as I'm driving along there remains a cacophony of pops and bangs coming from it.....So, my next question is.....do I replace both CATS at the same time or just the shagged one? And does anybody have an answer to my seized fuel filter problem?

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

Not much can resist a Stilston if you can get it on, that's what i used. If you can crack boths sides (there's enough play in the lines, just) then you can just spin the filter, if that's makes sense and i've remember it right.

Watch your CKP/reluctor if you have pops and bangs, the original honeycomb cat breaking down is more of a knock, again if i remember right and they come as a complete system generally but make sure your fueling is good and your not going to send raw fuel down the pipes and ruin them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts