RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of fitting a stainless steel freeflow exhaust system (manifold to tailpipe) to my 98 RR 4.6 hse to improve the performance and fuel consumption as this was done on my 01 Disco with pleasing results. My concern is : would this affect the maf or any fuel/air sensors on the RR?
Is there anything else i should be aware of if i do this.
It should be noted that here in SA we do not require a catalyst converter for emission control so these conversions are popular.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Go for it, chop out those useless polluting cats and enjoy more power and improved fuel economy
I chopped out my cats and was pleased with the results.

A good company by reputation up here in JHB called TNT do a full stainless exhaust for R2300 and use presently
disadvantaged guys to do the work, down there its a matter of asking around at good auto work shops whos good
Noote what name comes up more frequent and Im sure they'll be the ones to use

As for maf sensor there's no issues there, seeing that its a 98 you wont have oxygen sensors to worry about either

Enjoy, makes a huge difference

·
Registered
665 Posts
mine had the muffler in the middle cut out, and the tail end replaced with a flowthrough stainless job. I love it but very loud, I can hear my 4.6 two country blocks away.

bought it that way, I'm thinking about a performance muffler in the middle to quieten her down a bit

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Just to add, a performance exhaust be it standard steel or stainless need not be loud, a good exhaust shop will be able to build up one thats smooth and silient with no power loss vs a loud one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK , I will scout around here for a reputable exhaust shop and check that it's not tooo loud.Let that V8 breathe!
Thanks.
ps. viperover - did u get my e-mail re valve assembly o-rings?

·
Registered
155 Posts
bandit86 said:
mine had the muffler in the middle cut out, and the tail end replaced with a flowthrough stainless job. I love it but very loud, I can hear my 4.6 two country blocks away.

bought it that way, I'm thinking about a performance muffler in the middle to quieten her down a bit
There is a guy just west of Brantford that will do you a stainless exhaust with only the center box from cat back for $265can. plus tax. He does any car cat back for $265 plus tax in stainless. I had a small leak after but zorro welded all the joints for another $50. Nice sound but not to loud.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here in NA we are doing everything we can to reduce polution.

Why are we bothering to do this if other people are cutting out those nasty polution reducing components?

LOL.......what a world.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
it has been conclusively proven that a good cat will NOT affect performance, and is some tests the cat equiped vehicle had a better dyno result.
the older cats, fair enough. they were a mystery at the time and probably were restrictive. now years have passed, i dont see a reason for pulling them. i have built rigs after motor swaps etc, and whenever i left out the cat it stunk on the trail. granted these are open top rigs, but still.....after a cat was installed, no stinky and zero drop in performance.
just my .02

martin

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
LoL

I'd do it if I could get away with it. In the big scheme of things, central heating boilers polute much more than cars do. In true Clarkson style, my logic says a warmer climate equals less CO2 production which in turn reduces the temperature again. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts