1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered this kit from British Atlantic for future oil changes:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR007160SKA

But instead of getting the pictured oil filters that I paid top dollar, they sent me FRAM filters that I could have gotten at Walmart.

Hasn't it long been determined that FRAM filters are the worst filters in the world? Would you be sending these back?

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Fram, Fiamm Cooper and PurFlux are the same thing made in the same plant. You actually bought Fram and received Fram. Sorry.

·
Banned
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fram, Fiamm Cooper and PurFlux are the same thing made in the same plant. You actually bought Fram and received Fram. Sorry.
First off, I think you're taking way too much responsibility for this situation. It wasn't your fault, so stop being sorry.

Second, just because a product is made in the same plant doesn't mean it's the same as all of the other products made in that plant.

Third, I did not buy FRAM, I bought what is in their picture and their video, which is not a FRAM.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
First off, I think you're taking way too much responsibility for this situation. It was your fault, so stop being sorry.
HUH? I am not taking any responsibility for the situation. I am just pointing out a bit of behind the scenes info. The difference between Fram, Cooper and Pur is strictly in the labeling. Differrent colours for different markets. A base $12 Fram, $12 Cooper and $12 Pur are all the same filter. Just as a top of the line $18 Fram with flow back valve and metal mesh is the same as $18 Cooper and $18 Pur. Yes there will be a difference between an $8 base Fram and $18 Cooper.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
Think of this a from another angle. If you buy an OReilly branded/packaged product do you really believe that OReilly has their own production facility and their own packaging plant? No, a larger company simply brands an existing product for OReilly.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
Fram has a "chinsy" reputation but I have not heard of any specific issues with their products.

It's my understanding that some Frams are made in China and some are made in the U.S. Which is yours? Personally, I won't buy or use Chinese-made products. If it's a U.S. made one then I have less of an opinion but I would probably return it from a purely emotional standpoint.

I agree that it's a bit of a heart stab when you think you've ordered unique products from a specialty shop and a generic low end product arrives, however, as Toad pointed out, it's probably of similar quality to the one you ordered.

·
Registered
520 Posts
FRAM is probably OK - but if I ordered something else I would probably send it back. I did some research on bobistheoilguy about oil filters for our cars a while back - and my conclusion was that Motorcraft is the best quality for the price. (Landrover part is good but expensive). So either get a Motorcraft part from Ford dealer or rockauto. For air and cabin filters - I use Mann.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I read "air filter" instead of "oil filter". I would absolutely send it back. The oil filter is so incredibly important and with the long mileage intervals that Sport owners tend to run, having the absolute best filter is mandatory. Filters go bad long before oil does!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts
It's my understanding that some Frams are made in China and some are made in the U.S. Which is yours? Personally, I won't buy or use Chinese-made products.
My 2013 Land Rover labeled OEM oil filter cartridge is made in China. So is the Mahle Original replacement. I suspect all of them are made in China, probably in the same factory.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I read where Bobtheoilguy had his oil tested with and without a filter and the results showed no difference.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
My 2013 Land Rover labeled OEM oil filter cartridge is made in China. So is the Mahle Original replacement. I suspect all of them are made in China, probably in the same factory.
Odd, my OEM LR filter is made in Poland

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,015 Posts
They are made wherever it is cheaper for Land Rover to get them made, I guess. 2010s and later (with the 5-liter engine) are just cartridges by the way, the housing is reusable.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Well that should make you feel a bit better about it!

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
NAPA/Wix products are another great example. you can look at a rack of "identical" filters and they will be made in Mexico, Poland, USA... It's all a matter of what a particular plant is manufacturing at a particular time and how a distribution centre fills an order.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Third, I did not buy FRAM, I bought what is in their picture and their video, which is not a FRAM.
If you watched & listened to the video FULLY you'd have your answer... The tech in the video CLEARLY STATES as he's pointing out & touching the 2 filters you purchased in the kit "The parts you are getting in this kit, are parts that meet Land Rover Specifications" IE read between the lines, they are being truthful & releasing themselves from admitting the parts aren't actually a Land Rover made oil filter, & can be ANYTHING as long as it meets Land Rover Specs.. http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/oil-filter-change-lr3/

·
Banned
224 Posts
If you watched & listened to the video FULLY you'd have your answer... The tech in the video CLEARLY STATES as he's pointing out & touching the 2 filters you purchased in the kit "These parts you are getting are parts that meet Land Rover Specifications" IE read between the lines, they are being truthful & releasing themselves from admitting the parts aren't actually a Land Rover made oil filter, & can be ANYTHING as long as it meets Land Rover Specs.. http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/oil-filter-change-lr3/
Then why would they spell out in their part description that you are getting a Coopers filter?

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
When all is said and done it is only an oil filter. What you received is the same as a Cooper in every way, shape and form except for colour. It's no different than ordering an original part from a supplier and receiving an updated part number that superceded what you ordered. THis is strictly a case of change of suppliers or a different fill from the fulfillment warehouse. With all the years I have done business with AB I seriously doubt there is any possible fraud or intent to deceive. Return them and move on if they are the wrong colour for you. If you want Cooper by name buy them on eBay or direct from Cooper's catalogue.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
800 Posts
If it meets LR specs then it is most likely the right materials and flow rate. I have to admit I'd also be VERY pissed if I payed all that money for a FRAM filter plus shipping when I could have just bought it at walmart or Canadian Tire but hey, live and learn. If i were you I'd suck it up and not hold it against them. Then for the next oil change, I'd simply buy the filter at Walmart or Canadian Tire, if it's cheaper all round. ;)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts