RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen this issue listed on the forms here so hopefully this may help those who have it or prevent the problem. My RR has 133k.

SYMPTOM: medium pitched squeak, at low speeds, corresponds to small bumps, gone at motorway speeds

PROBLEM: brake line is run through a retaining metal ring lined with a rubber washer to each wheel - over time the rubber gets worn down, allowing the tube and metal to have direct contact causing the squeak. By the time I found and fixed it the brake line was fairly worn down, left unattended this could cause a hole to be worn, fluid to drain and then brake failure.

SOLUTION: clean the area, rotate the rubber washer to a thick side apply a thin coat of white lithium grease

Hopefully this helps others out! It only takes 5 minutes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently, the fitting is not on the drivers side.. Maybe the previous owner removed it.

On the passenger side, follow the shock absorber up to the half way point. The fitting is right behind it. (And, you can see I was spraying lithium grease everywhere trying to find the location of the noise...)

IMG_1549.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey Weston,

Do you mainly hear the squeaks near the middle of the cabin in the RR when driving? Whenever I have kids in the back, they always mention that squeak. My RR only has 75000 KMs on it so don't know why I get that sound.

Asad

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Asad,

It did sound like it could be the middle area. However, I could certainly hear it as the driver at low speeds. On a low mileage truck like yours I could't see that as being a problem as mine clearly wore down over time. But it only takes a few moments to check. You'll know right away too as the rubber will be worn flat on one side.

If the squeak seems to be related to suspension, get a helper, raise to off road height, open your lower tailgate and get under the truck with a can of white lithium grease. Have your helper push up and down on the tailgate and start listening for the noise. Go at moving parts with the grease until it stops and you'll have found your problem.

Hope this helps - nothing like a squeak to ruin a nice ride.

Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I replaced all of the rear bushings on my vehicle a few months ago when the rear started to squeak badly while driving at low speeds. A month afterwards, a new squeak developed 106K on the left/driver side - very similar to the hub bushing squeak. It was very apparent and I could make the vehicle squeak by rocking the rear bumper. Initially I thought there was a defective bushing. However, after inspection the noise was from the brake line rubbing against the worn rubber grommet loop on the left side. The rubber grommet loop on the driver side is located closer to the wheel, near the shock absorber and height sensors. I did the same thing - spun the grommet around and then added grease. My dealer told me that the brake line was for the parking brake. I also found it odd that there wasn't a post on this.

RR_Rear.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts