RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I gave up on figuring out my gearbox fault on my own and took my P38 in to the local Rover doctor. My problem is that I am not getting a speed signal from the transmission, I went through everything electrical that I could to no avail. The shop i took it too took the pan of the transmission and said that the reluctor ring in the transmission is freely spinning and not fixed to the shaft as it is supposed to be.

Is this a thing that anyone else has had happen? They are looking for a fix short of a new transmission, might the assembled experts here have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
yes, I have seen it before. I believe there is a set screw which holds the speed sensor wheel secure on the output shaft. valve body must come down for better access.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Huh? Isn't the speed signal coming from the ABS?
And if it isn't coming from the ABS, it's coming from the gearbox, but from the transfer case..

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Huh? Isn't the speed signal coming from the ABS?
And if it isn't coming from the ABS, it's coming from the gearbox, but from the transfer case..
computer controlled transmission totally unrelated to abs signal and speedo signal, it needs to see input and output signal for proper performance thus 2 sensor on main shaft measuring engine/torque converter rpm versus rear shaft. if it does not see signal or there is a variation from set parameters it goes hay wire thinking it is slipping or not running at all.

·
Registered
355 Posts
computer controlled transmission totally unrelated to abs signal and speedo signal, it needs to see input and output signal for proper performance thus 2 sensor on main shaft measuring engine/torque converter rpm versus rear shaft. if it does not see signal or there is a variation from set parameters it goes hay wire thinking it is slipping or not running at all.
Aha, thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts