RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents, I have just taken a great leap and bought a non-runner 89 classic that was left in a field for 5yrs. This is my first RR, and I know absolutely nothing about them. She looks like she has a good body, interior and suspension but the PO said that he thinks the airflow meter went, so she "coughed a bit and would not start". As he didn't need her, she got left in the field and forgotten.

So now I own her, what do I do first??

How do I diagnose the engine fault?

/:(:???::eek:

·
Administrator
27,800 Posts
Same as with any neglected car. Clean her up, inspect every thing you can see. Be prepared for rodent damage and wiring in poor condition.

You need spark and fuel. Is the fuel pump running? have you drained the 5 year old fuel and flushed the lines with new fuel? Check the fuel filter as well.

The MAF is not going to keep engine from running. It will run with the MAF disconnected.

Long and short is you need to go through any rig that has been out in the elements. You may very well have issues most folks would never see with rigs driven on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
apart from all above, put a good battery in the car.
Put ignition in stage 2.. is the fuel pump running?
if not, start there.
DON'T buy chinese c..p there is a little french repair kit available with a really god pump.
if it pumps fine, and spark is fine go to a suitable place and have all the injectors professionally cleaned. You may have accidentally filled them with 5 year's worth of gunk.

GOOD luck, it is a worthy project
PS I sort of feel funny being greated as 'gent' :) I have heard Sheila from aussies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts