RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, new member here. I found a neglected 2000 4.6 Vitesse locally for sale, although poorly advertised. It appears authentic in Java Black, yellow turn signals, wood trim console, nav, walnut interior etc. I am having trouble finding production numbers on these, and possible value. From what I read, there really isn't much that's special about them, just the fact that its a "special edition". The 1997s seem much more desirable and seem to take away some interest in the 2000s. Any insight would be very helpful.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Your photos are not showing. But what ever, it is not a Vitesse. Vitesse was only produced 1997 in only2 colours, Monza Red and AA yellow. The only special models in 2000 were the Linley...Highly unlikely to find one of those, H & H and the Rhino Edition.

EDIT:Geez I have read those pages dozens of of times and various books and never clued in on the rebirth in 2000 or the Dartmouth.

·
Super Moderator
2,087 Posts
Your photos aren't showing but from the link it definitely looks like you have a 2000 Vitesse which was black compared with the 97 Vitesse which was red or yellow. Amusing that they used up the last stocks of amber indicators on the Vitesse rather than using the clear ones like on all other models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last try with the photos, this time using code. Anyway, does anyone know how many of these were made? It is even worth buying because it is a special editio even if its a turd? Or focus on a regular HSE in better shape?

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/N75le6WLnw1icc7CybkgL2Dd-UXjTWHzwbcH7iM7rReHln-K8RjVzpd_PxQT8f-D1vYvay8gjsfOgILijcLbD0UNYNY20Q1Wlffm644VjvUGYF-c0_u2NF7hq78PqaGsXhheSN2fpsnMuofivQ0hubAku0FhSB24-Sz9YTpOWx6yBn7GDJMvpwbSlp5416rNtUIHVsxzEDFPYePHnICg6o8P0s-tq-QTbghksrPSZI6TWWkWEZ_InoVDYGjC4tLQk6hhFC4ZgeUYdWnWRrQCQH7GQ-CTH_KoLmABqmFnAqtfMVjfIymGEfuZCfX9hbBJHLYESIHod75gtUdY9sAfBC-iyLg1Th2c9UcT54p8W87hZLDMogA08KWwn0OJVNiUA7clFhxE3dlmCt7OY4cJFuiKTq9Ecff3MJattlCU1zw8aVuQn4u9xQ4emoNMNd4gEKk1Hp2EocyCjXccySlv44aHVUC7EDbKeWJ8fp_txCNZqXZZdnm3NqJUjEhmpvXLfu66rlf8hKxxryt0ku3NIGH8oYS50LBgzp9X08oihGCMEKfuTgpTBwVCBnuvTcWdA0lvk7k1jiJQtYjzNPZg21Qks2cUMdUW7GV_YKeiT3JTvSsWDFEQ1qLzvuQi_EX1WM4jTB4eqfheOYm41W8rhz02=w352-h626-no

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Aside from the super rare Linley, I haven't seen the market recognize any extra value on P38 special editions. Considering how cheap P38's are, I can't see it happening either. What happens to the market in 20 years is anybody's guess. For the money, you could buy a 40's or 50's farm truck and restore it, knowing it already has collector value. Of course anything like that is personal taste. To me, a P38 is fun to drive, not keep as a garage queen.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A cargurus search between years 1995 and 2002 for Range Rovers pops up a few special edition models. I spotted a '97 Vitesse, a Rhino, a Borrego, and a Westminster on there. Tempted to scoop them all up and drive a different one every day.

edit: I will add that their prices are no different than a clean non special edition. My gut tells me one day these P38's will be worth a lot. They are constantly being parked in fields to rot because of no mechanical know how, unwillingness to pay, or lack of care for the car. They also get easily "totalled" and "parted out" by insurance companies because of their absolute lack of value today. If possible, I intend to own at least 5 special edition P38's with in the next 5 years.

·
Registered
549 Posts
+1 on the prices. Lots of chancers on eBay with overpriced P38's, but look at the sold prices and you see a different story.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The collector market is a fickle thing. I think that if there is a car general loved by the public, then a special edition of that car can become a valuable "classic". Like '57 Chevy, '65 Mustang, various other american iron that weren't particularly good cars. Special editions or special orders (large motors) makes them collectable. But compare a P38 value to a Toyota Landcruiser or Lexus LX from the late '90's. I have a friend who bought a high mileage '97 LX for $5k and felt that it was a good buy. Very reliable but crappy interior and overall feel is nowhere near a P38. But that perceived reliability keeps them selling for more. Old Rovers are for enthusiasts and I'm not *****ing. It allows us to own these at a fraction of new price. Got to take the bad with the good.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can dig what you're saying NorCal. I've driven older 'Yodas and Lexus. They feel nothing like a P38. On that note...just this past day after Christmas I hung out with a long time friend. We needed to buy some brew for the evening so I let him drive her to the ice house. He literally offered me 5 grand on the spot for it. I said no. But he was dead serious. He'd never driven a Land Rover EVER! Comes from Fords and Dodge. Anyhow. If only people knew how incredible these tanks feel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts