RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My weekend was spent tearing down my Bosch 4.6 and replacing a leaky head gasket. All said, I think things went pretty well (sheared valve cover bolt notwithstanding). However, this morning while I was describing to my wife the problems I ran into last night getting things back together, I noticed a pile of injector clips sitting on my workbench (the bits that hold the injectors to the rail). I totally forgot to put them in when reassembling despite them sitting on a sheet of paper plain as day, with clear labeling (in my defense, it was 1:30AM). The injectors seems like they are not going anywhere as they are and I really am not in the mood to tear the engine down again enough to get to them. Am I going to make the truck explode if I leave them off? I'm sure I'll be in there again eventually for one reason or another and I'll refit when I have the chance.

Thoughts?

P.S. I've also decided that the guy who decided where to put the coils on that engine has a special spot reserved in hell... and the guy who designed the SAI bits for the matter.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
From a realistic view you have multiple anchoring points for the fuel rail allowing for pretty close to zero flex. Assuming you installed fresh ORings on the injectors you have a nice tight seal top and bottom on a each injector. With all that in play there really is no likelihood of an injector leaking. I fully under stand the pain of removing a Bosch intake. HOWEVER, although the clips are not a sealing issue but more of a safety issue I certainly would not want to risk it for the sake of a couple hours frustration.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
move the sai valves about 1/2 inch away from mounting studs and lift the plenum no need to go deeper unless all piping and coils are secured with every fastener supplied by factory.
normally mechanics (independent or dealers) leave some of those fasteners on bench.

·
Registered
343 Posts
no need to go deeper unless all piping and coils are secured with every fastener supplied by factory.
normally mechanics (independent or dealers) leave some of those fasteners on bench.
The four 8mm bolts of the coilpack (which are a pain to do/undo) do have a groundfunction if I"m correct.
Should not leave them out.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
535 Posts
I ran mine for 2 years with only the top 2 bolts on the coils. Still do!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Loosen the bottom 2 coil bolts,remove the top, lean the coil back, remove the bananas, takes 5 minutes. My LPG pipes run along the firewall, so I had to find an easier way, there it is !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts