RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon forcing the new Android 2.2 (aka Froyo) firmware on my "original" Motorola Droid today, I was happy to discover that the phonebook on my upgraded 2006 RRS' Nokia PTI module was downloaded complete of all phone numbers, including those from individuals with more than one contact #. For example, Adam Smith now shows up listed multiple times in the scrollable phonebook of my radio's LCD, followed by "/H, /W, /M" (to identify Home, Work, Mobile, etc.) Previous to Android 2.2, the car would arbitrarily download only the first phone number for each contact in my Droid's phonebook, ignoring any additional numbers I had saved for the same person, which was quite annoying. Hopefully every Android device receiving Froyo - most of them are scheduled to get the new firmware, I think - will experience the same improvement when paired to a 2006-2008 Sport with "upgraded", phonebook-over-Bluetooth capable telephone module.

On the minus side, the phone registers (listing the most recent dialed, missed, received calls) no longer seem to transfer to the car as they used to in the past, at least in my 2006. No big loss for me, I am much happier to have my entire phonebook available for scrolling.

The only limitation is the size of the silly head unit LCD, since if the contact name is too long to fit in one line you won't be able to see the "type" of phone that follows his/her name as the name doesn't scroll. A tip: Whenever in Bluetooth mode (pull the Send paddle on the right of the steering wheel to enter Bluetooth, if your phone is properly paired), you can use the "Track up/down" button on the steering wheel to scroll through the downloaded phonebook contacts and view them on the center info LCD within the instrument cluster instead of the radio display: Besides showing more characters per contact compared to the radio LCD, the name and phone number of each contact alternate back and forth in the cluster display, making it easier to select the right number before dialing.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Umbertob, do you want to give this a try when you get a chance?

Before I dropped my nexus one I am almost positive that the program sms/caller id speech alert was playing the voices on the speaker through blutooth when someone called. Do you want to download the free trial and confirm that was right.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
djsaad1, what's the app called in the Market, exactly? I use a different app for sms (Handcent) and that has no "talking" Caller ID...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I use handcent too. This app just says the caller id name or number out loud when someone calls or texts. The newest version worked over Bluetooth too, so it should say the name through our car speakers. I only got to try it once before I broke my phone and I am pretty sure it worked.

it is called sms/callerid speech alert

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I downloaded the trial version just now. Nope, at least with my Droid no voice announcement over the RRS's Bluetooth system, only the usual buzzer ring when the phone is connected to he car and someone calls... Although the caller ID speech feature works just fine over a Bluetooth headset and as a replacement for the Droid ringer. Nice app, I might actually keep it. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts