RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

3 months into RR ownership and loving it, just a small query that I have. There's a button on the drivers door to fold the mirrors, which I understand you just need to press once when stationary and the mirrors should fold in. When I press it, they do indeed fold in, but as soon as I take my finger off the button they fold back out again. They both do this at the same time. I've found a number of threads on here about mirror issues, but none seem to cover this situation. Any thoughts as to what's causing this as I would prefer to have them working ? - UK parking can be a bit tight !

·
Registered
952 Posts
They're supposed to stay folded until the button is pressed again. Must be an issue with your switch.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It maybe an issue with one of the micro/limit switches in the mirror head.
Stewart.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
166 Posts
I have the exact same problem and took the car to the dealership about a year ago. After $140 in labor they told me the microswitch in my right mirror was faulty and that the entire mirror needed to be replaced (they dont sell the microswitch seperately). I decided not to spend the $500 on a new mirror and have since been trying to source a used one on ebay.

I am pretty sure I caused the issue, I remember driving through a very narrow alley in Boston and hitting the right mirror against a dumpster - luckily the mirror broke away (folded in) not causing any asthetic damage but I beleive the sudden impact fried the microswitch. More than likely the previous owner of your car had a smiliar run in. If you find a replacement microswitch solution please let me know..as i would much rather replace the microswitch as opposed to a $500 mirror.

L

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I'm sure your micro switch isn't fried, the actuator arm is probably just dislodged... Probably take you a total of 5 min to pop the mirror backing off and repair the damage.

Worst case you remove the micro switch, type in the serial number found on the switch into google and just buy the thing.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
brad s1 said:
type in the serial number found on the switch into google and just buy the thing.
Agreed, LR/BMW dont make the components, they just assemble them. Google has nearly 4,000 results for microswitch in the shopping section.

Did you know that the Range Rover's doors are supplied as a complete unit glass n' all to Land Rover by some random company.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Did you know that the Range Rover's doors are supplied as a complete unit glass n' all to Land Rover by some random company.
That's amazing!

Welcome back, Dan!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had this situation a couple of times and have only had to manually move one or other of the mirrors a little, then click it back into the normal open position. The electric closing/opening then worked normally again. Worth a try.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there a write up on popping out the mirror housing and checking the switch? Thanks!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
One way to get to the insides of the mirror is by removing a small cover underneath it, just pops out, then there are 4 small torque screws you have to remove and the mirror comes off. Once there, you'll have access to the guts of the mirror, there is a small electric motor and you'll see the micro switch.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
252 Posts
I had a similar problem - sometimes one mirror would fold, sometimes the other, sometimes both in and out, and others it would work like expected. I popped the small cover off the underside of the mirror (US Drivers side, it was the one with the most problems) and just started unscrewing things until the mirror came apart. I took apart the small motor regressed everything and put it back together. Its been 1 ½ months now and they are both working perfectly. Hopefully it lasts!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts
There is a small worm gear attached to the motor, mine had play in the end of it where the support is, well, I devised a small washer to take up the slack and now works great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts