RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The folding cup holder in the center console of my 2003 RR is not functioning properly. The latch that secures this within the console does not appear to catch. I searched for a diagram to remove the cup holder and was unsuccessful. I also searched for a replacement on the Atlantic-British website and could not find one. Has anyone replaced or repaired this on their own?
Thanks, in advance.
Steve

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Does anyone know how to remove the cup holder??

Steve

·
Registered
122 Posts
i would check to make sure that something didn't fall in the space the cup holder folds into. I was going to take mine out because it didn't close until i stuck a shop vac hose in there one day i was cleaning out the truck. it sucked a small screw that fell in there and it worked fine every since.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. I did check it out and there does not appear to be anything mechanically obstructing the cup holder. The problem appears to be with the clip (?) that retains the cup holder is the recessed cubby. There appear to be two bolts that hold the unit fast, but I do not know how to access them through the center console.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I always find this forum to be such a big help. Some prospective buyers were looking over my Range and somehow they managed to get the apparatus stuck about half way back ( and left without drawing it to my attention) and I couldn't get it to close. With a little play with it I managed to get it to go back down but it wouldn't stay closed. So I did a search and found this thread and decided to have a check to see if there was anything down inside it which was preventing it from latching. Sure enough there was, possibly some of it from the first owner, more than four years ago, including:
1 small golf scoring type pencil
1 very small rivet end
1 candy wrapper
1 piece of what looked like the outer plastic wrapping from a cigarette pack or something like that
1 small piece of fishing line leader
a small screw
various bits of dirt and stuff
some apple seeds and what looked like thin stem from a grape.
Cleaned it out with a vacuum and with h a ball of scotch tape stuck on the end of a long screwdriver...

and presto, it closes again. `)
Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine doesn't work properly either. I recently replaced the black plastic part that surrounds the cup holder and gear lever. It's pretty simple to take apart.
- remove the gear lever trim. This just pops up.
- remove the black trim. I think there are a couple of sets of screws under the gear lever trim.
- Once this is off, there are a couple screws (I think 3 in total) under the folding cup holder, which hold it in. You can then remove it and clean it out.

I guess it depends on how badly it's stuck, but maybe you don't actually need to remove it. I replaced the trim piece in a bit of a rush and realized I missed a screw. I'll take it apart again to put the missed screw back and will take some pictures of it apart. I think there were some instructions on the site somewhere if you do a search.

The folding cup holder is so small anyway, that there is not much point in using it!!!

Good luck.
J

·
Registered
690 Posts
Norval said:
Sure enough there was, possibly some of it from the first owner, more than four years ago, including:
1 small piece of fishing line leader
Cleaned it out with a vacuum and with h a ball of scotch tape stuck on the end of a long screwdriver...

and presto, it closes again. `)
Thanks, guys.
Nearly got in trouble with the wife. Left what I thought was part of a fishing leader lying around the house and she identified it as a broken lady's earring ( or more likely a lady's broken earring) and asked me what it was doing in the Range......!!

Of course I blamed the former owner....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts