RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for any suggestions and or examples of fog light installations or light bars on a 2015 range rover hse or similar , looking to add some yellow fogs , thanks!

·
Banned
107 Posts
I'd do this in a flash, but it would have to be wied into the high beam.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi I have done this install hidden light bar behind grill . If you get a good light bar they will supply plug and play wiring harness that has a switch for enabling the lights inside the car. and a wiring loom that connects to the headlight high beam connector behind your headlights . I got power supply by lifting up the positive jump start terminal under the hood and tucking the positive connector under the nut that holds the positive terminal for jump start. It looks very neat, then just unscrew negative jump start terminal next to this and place negative power lead under this, and screw back down.Done you now have power for you lights.
To get to back of headlight connector remove top of air filter box, very easy and this makes put headlight plug and play easy to install.
Then remove front grill, there are two upright supports for the radiator, I drilled two holes through these to mount the light bar. Positioned the light bar at the very bottom, sitting on top of the front bumper bar this seemed to let light bar line up with holes on grill.
I know it is not the perfect spot to fit light bar behind grill, but it does throw a lot of light, and you don,t know its there.
The bar is a 20" and just clears the grill if you fit it at the lower position because the grill slopes back as it goes up to the hood.
The grill takes about five mins to remove.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any images of your install?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doing an install on my rover monday for some rigid amber leds lights custom fit next to the factory driving lamps, ill post some photos of the completed job , its crazy how hard it is to find examples of aftermarket lighting on new rovers , life was better when the dealers would actually sell and install hellas! =)

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
The days of LR in any form offering off road lighting, winch beds, brush guards...etc are long gone. LR is nothing more than a status symbol and mall crawler for 90% of their customers. Sadly even third party suppliers that have kept up with the heritage are dropping like flies because there is simply no market any longer for off road gear, improved lighting or capability accessories.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi I have done this install hidden light bar behind grill . If you get a good light bar they will supply plug and play wiring harness that has a switch for enabling the lights inside the car. and a wiring loom that connects to the headlight high beam connector behind your headlights . I got power supply by lifting up the positive jump start terminal under the hood and tucking the positive connector under the nut that holds the positive terminal for jump start. It looks very neat, then just unscrew negative jump start terminal next to this and place negative power lead under this, and screw back down.Done you now have power for you lights.
To get to back of headlight connector remove top of air filter box, very easy and this makes put headlight plug and play easy to install.
Then remove front grill, there are two upright supports for the radiator, I drilled two holes through these to mount the light bar. Positioned the light bar at the very bottom, sitting on top of the front bumper bar this seemed to let light bar line up with holes on grill.
I know it is not the perfect spot to fit light bar behind grill, but it does throw a lot of light, and you don,t know its there.
The bar is a 20" and just clears the grill if you fit it at the lower position because the grill slopes back as it goes up to the hood.
The grill takes about five mins to remove.

I'm trying to do this same install but stuck on which wire in the headlight loom triggers for the high beam. I've got the Topix layout of the wiring but with a voltmeter still cannot find which wire gives power to make the bi-xenon go to high beams....Thx,Will

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
31 Posts
If you looking at Rigid take a look at the Durabrite minis. These suckers are brighter than the sun 100 miles offshore and the profile might make a subtle install easier.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Figured it all out. Now the bar turns on when the highbeams go on (usually leave on auto). And I have a wireless switch as an over-ride. The bar itself is a BlackOak 30" Curved double row 5W LEDS. It fits nicely behind the grille so its stealth. The LED has is a dual Spot in the center and wide angle on the edges to create a HUGE about of light when on. Even tucked behind the grille it still is an insane amount of light!

file.jpg

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
463 Posts
Could you take a picture at night with it both on and off showing the pattern on a dark road?...also which wire did you tap into for the brights?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Any issues with heat coming off those LEDs? I imagine that it would get hot enough over time when stationary to melt the plastic grill - though if you do have it powered to the high-beams only, then I suspect you won't have that problem.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Looks like the hardware is about £500GBP, and shipping to the UK, another £70... That is a chunk of cash!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, there is probably a cheaper way to get light to come out of your grille!!! Did some research on the light bars...there are a ton you can get that are cheaper...I just knew that this one with the mounts on the side was the exact length to mount right where there are existing holes in the bumper!!!

As far as giving off heat, its almost nothing...I had them on for about 10-15 minutes and gave off barely any heat in the front where it is near the grille.

·
Banned
107 Posts
To be fair, the company have applied a fairly good checkout discount when I priced it up. However, as the Spring is upon us in the UK, and days are getting longer the need for additional illumination is reducing. I need to get the Rangie in tip top shape cosmetically, so that will consume my £££ instead. Thanks for sharing all of this though. It is rare to have a modifications thread for the L405 that does not invlove bigger wheels, painted plastic, or more chrome for the interior. ;-)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Figured it all out. Now the bar turns on when the highbeams go on (usually leave on auto). And I have a wireless switch as an over-ride. The bar itself is a BlackOak 30" Curved double row 5W LEDS. It fits nicely behind the grille so its stealth. The LED has is a dual Spot in the center and wide angle on the edges to create a HUGE about of light when on. Even tucked behind the grille it still is an insane amount of light!

Nice. Would love to see some pics at night. I have a sport, but want to do the same thing. I'd be interested in the wireless aspect - I saw someone posting about a remote. I don't want to have the physical switch because that requires drilling and I wouldn't want to hook it to the brights. Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice. Would love to see some pics at night. I have a sport, but want to do the same thing. I'd be interested in the wireless aspect - I saw someone posting about a remote. I don't want to have the physical switch because that requires drilling and I wouldn't want to hook it to the brights. Thanks
Yeah, I don't have a physical switch wired thru the firewall either. I just use a FOB to turn the light on and off (for me when the high beams are on). One thing on my wireless switch is that when it is not getting constant power to the switch (the trigger wire), it always defaults to on (when it gets power). So when you wire it up with your relay, you need to feed power from the battery right to the wireless switch for the trigger wire, which then also means that you can turn the light on and off without the car actually being on....which I didn't like. Don't know if my wireless switch is stupid like that (defaults to on when it gets power from the trigger) or if you can get one that is different!!! Good luck!

BTW - I may get a SVO grille with the design more like a Sport to let a bit more light through the grille!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts