RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 RRS... Does anyone know if it is possible to override the fog light shut off when using the high beams. I'd like to upgrade the fogs and high beams to xenon and have more flexibility, avoiding the need for additional auxilary off road lights. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Wow..tonight must be headlight night on the forum.

If you have bi-xenon headlights, then there is no separate bulb for the high beams. High and low are the same bulb, you just have a mechanical shade that drops down to create the low beam.

I'm not sure how much the standard foglights would bring to the game if you're on the high beams offroad, I can barely tell the difference on low beam. I don't have the driving lights on mine though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you add the double fog lamp accessory (replaces existing single) you'll get extra light. Works for me....but I have bi-xenon so I use them rarely.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I didn't know the Sports came with Bi-xenon. Is that an NA thing, MY thing, or something else?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Every model year RRS with HID headlights - whether adaptive or static - has bi-xenons, AFAIK. In Europe there are some base RRS models with halogens only (we get halogen high beams as well, but only as fill-in for the xenons and for flash-to-pass situations.)

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I was vague because I didn't know if the poster was from the US, and if every RRS around the world had them.

Nobody posts where they're from anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
umbertob said:
Every model year RRS with HID headlights - whether adaptive or static - has bi-xenons, AFAIK. In Europe there are some base RRS models with halogens only (we get halogen high beams as well, but only as fill-in for the xenons and for flash-to-pass situations.)
Well shoot, I don't think I've ever noticed the bi-xenon feature in action when I use my high beams. I would think I would see the some upward movement of the cut-off, but I really only see the "yellow" of the halogen high beam projection - so I always thought it was not bi-xenon, just regular HID/xenon. :|

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I tried to see if I would notice the moving shutter in my own HIDs when switching from low to high beams, but it's like trying to stare at the sun... Not a good idea. `)

Anyway, since I am in workshop manual cut-and-paste mode today, this is the section describing MY06-09 RRS "static" and adaptive xenon headlights (the only two types available in the US. To keep the document small I removed the parts describing halogen headlights, DRLs and cornering lamps, since they are not available options here.) MY2010s have been revised with the addition of 10 LEDs as side / parking lights, although the bi-xenon design has been retained as far as I can tell.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
umbertob said:
I tried to see if I would notice the moving shutter in my own HIDs when switching from low to high beams, but it's like trying to stare at the sun... Not a good idea. `)
:lol: That's what I was thinking... The only other idea being disconnecting the high bulbs. 8-|= <had to use the new smiley.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
So I just tried this in the garage and I could clearly see the cut-off change. Luckily I had a nearby set of tires (hmmm, where could these be from?) stacked up off to the side that the xenons where hitting, but not the halogens, and I could see the change. On the road I think the yellow halogens will wash out the cut-off so you may not see it change. I could also distinctively hear the shutter mechanism open/close; it was not gradual, and more of a spring loaded type click open, click close. 8-|=

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Thanks again Umberto!! :thumb: and for sacrificing your vision... both of you. I learned lots of stuff about the fuel tank and headlights today. So much so, I'm actually beginning to long for the simplicity of my old E30 M3... about 5 cars ago

I was also mistaken in that I thought the halogen bulb (#7) was only used in the flash to pass situation--did not realize it came on with the xenon high beam as well. Never looked that close at it. :doh: I think it would technically be illegal for on road use but I guess you could convert that to xenon for offroad to answer the original question.

I have the AFS headlights, so if I read this correctly, they don't have a shutter, they adjust up and down for the high/low beam? Was the AFS not standard in the earlier years because I don't particularly remember ordering that so it must have been standard on my year.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
my old E30 M3...
Wat. Pics dood. 8-0=

gooseyloosey said:
I have the AFS headlights, so if I read this correctly, they don't have a shutter, they adjust up and down for the high/low beam? Was the AFS not standard in the earlier years because I don't particularly remember ordering that so it must have been standard on my year.
If that's Adaptive, I have them too, but my use of "shutter" was really because I had nothing else to call it, so I can't say if it just adjusts up/down for high/low; the quickness of the change to "high" compared to the startup sequence leads me to believe no.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
No, I think the bi-xenon shutter mechanism is the same in the AFS headlights as it is in plain vanilla xenon headlights, as the swiveling mechanism of the adaptive headlights only happens on the horizontal axis depending on steering angle, speed. etc. The vertical swivel of the adaptive lights is limited and only used for faster "dynamic" headlamp leveling explained later in the document (versus the non-adaptive headlights, which rely only on the EAS module to keep level...)

In MY06 adaptive headlights were part of the LUX package for HSEs but came standard on S/C, not sure about later model years but I believe they have always been stock equipment on Supercharged and extra cost on HSE trims, at least here in North America.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Umbertob, thanks for the write-up. Saving all your inputs, I almost have a complete shop manual, or so it seems.

When Xenon's first came out, you could only get them on low beams such as my wife's old 320CLK. That is because (as noted in the writeup) Xenons produce light by initiating and then maintaining an arc between two electrodes. Back in the days of Drive-in movies, we used a carbon arc to produce the amount of light need on the big screen. Welding arc are so bright that you can't look at them. Same arc in Xenons, but the arc is generated within a quartz bulb in a specially formulated gas to minimize electrode melt. It takes time to establish and stabilize the arc and therefore, cannot be switched on and off quickly. So, the auto makers used Xenon for low beam and added a halogen bulb for high beams. This was the same time period that 'projector beam' style headlights were taking over from Fresnel lens in headlights. I have never been a fan of projector beam with halogen, feeling they were a styling thing not a light improvement. The Fresnel headlights on the P38 were by far better at illuminating far down the road than all of the projector's up until the time of Xenons.
The low beams of Xenons is bright, even with top of beam cut off, as the car went over a bump it would blind on coming traffic. So the engineers attached the headlight to a servo. The servo sensed the rear spring position and angled the light up or down to keep the beam parallel with the ground.
Then some smart engineer came up with the idea that Xenons were capable of producing so much light, that a shutter could be used to block off the top part of the beam. The shutter can be activated very fast. Once the Xenon is running, the shutter is used to change the beam from high to low in normal driving situations without turning on and off the arc.
If you park about 10 to 20 feet away from a wall and have AFS, at night, wheels straight, start the engine first, then turn on your head lights. You will note the beam seams to pop on, is a small diameter, and aimed down. The beam will get bigger and rise to level, go through some gyrations and then stop straight ahead. With low beams on, you will see a very sharp cutoff from left to right angling up on the right from the center on out. This is due to the shutter being in place. If you turn your steering wheel left, the two beams will seam to separate with the left beam moving left. Similarly, turning the wheel right moves the right beam right.
Turn on the high beams, and the shutter moves away and the beam increases upward.
The Xenons arc is so bright, and concentrated that projector lens work very well to created a bright circle of light which illuminates far down the road. However, because of the lens shape, there would be dark areas in the pattern. The secondary halogen lamps are used to fill these spots when the high beams are on. As stated in the writeup they are also used for day time flash passing, since the Xenons would not turn on with a quick flip of the stalk. Trying to convert these to Xenons would eliminate the flash capability , because of start time, and probably destroy the igniters in short order.
I drive a lot of rental cars at night, on two lane twisting roads, through Pa. I hate not having the RRS headlights. Many deer, fox, rabbits, cats, and other animals would not have had coronary attacks if I had the Xenon headlights. I would estimate they illuminate 3 times farther than the best of the halogens (except for the P38's) which were twice as good as other halogens, projectors included, but 2/3 as good as the Bi-Xenons.
Using Xenons for driving lights or fog would only work if you disable the "off with high beam" feature. Otherwise, the continuous 'start-stop' switching would probably give short life to the bulb electrodes and igniters.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
In MY06 adaptive headlights were part of the LUX package for HSEs but came standard on S/C, not sure about later model years but I believe they have always been stock equipment on Supercharged and extra cost on HSE trims, at least here in North America.
That's why I never remember ordering it, it came with the Lux pkg.

Thanks for the additional education bop08!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
TripleE said:
gooseyloosey said:
my old E30 M3...
Wat. Pics dood. 8-0=
Sorry 3E I know how you love pics. I was never much into taking pictures of my cars and the few I may still have on that one would be on paper :( . In fact the only pictures I have of my RRS are the two pictures I took "fording" the "river." :D

But the E30 was the one car I wish I never sold :doh: It had a Korman 2.5L, remote reservoir coilovers, and well...a ton of fun. It was when I was contemplating installing a cage inside, routinely spending $1000+ a month on parts (and weekends installing them)to take it to the track, that I got married and became domesticated. In contrast, the E36 and E46 M3 I had were successive letdowns.

The current iteration looks interesting but I refuse to spend that kind of $ on a 3 series.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
That's why I never remember ordering it, it came with the Lux pkg.
Same here, I know I didn't check it as an option!

gooseyloosey said:
TripleE said:
gooseyloosey said:
my old E30 M3...
Wat. Pics dood. 8-0=
Sorry 3E I know how you love pics. I was never much into taking pictures of my cars and the few I may still have on that one would be on paper :( . In fact the only pictures I have of my RRS are the two pictures I took "fording" the "river." :D

But the E30 was the one car I wish I never sold :doh: It had a Korman 2.5L, remote reservoir coilovers, and well...a ton of fun. It was when I was contemplating installing a cage inside, routinely spending $1000+ a month on parts (and weekends installing them)to take it to the track, that I got married and became domesticated. In contrast, the E36 and E46 M3 I had were successive letdowns.

The current iteration looks interesting but I refuse to spend that kind of $ on a 3 series.
Bastid. Sounds sweet. I remember the day I met my wife - had a terrible sunburn from working on the car that day - she was rubbing ice on my back ;) It took another 7 years until I bought and installed more parts. :geek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm in Canada, my '07 RRS HSE has xenon adaptive headlights (lux pkg). Canada has a daytime running light law....and LR uses the xenons to meet this law, so mine are on all the time. A burnt out xenon adaptive bulb costs $500.00 to replace, but is covered under warranty. You can have LR turn on the DRL option if you want.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts