RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I've got a P38 4.6 HSE from 1996 or 1996 (dodgy compliance plate)

Unlocking with the FOB always works.
Locking with the FOB lately doesn't work, a while back when I synced it it was good for a few days, but now after sync it still doesn't work.

So, I can unlock her by FOB, not lock her... Light on the FOB lits.

Any sugestions what it might be?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
The pushbuttons in the fob are dual pole and if only one pole is working you'll get a light but no transmission. Sounds like your fob needs a refurb.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
I found taking the rubber off and giving both pushbuttons a good blast of electrical contact cleaner got both buttons working for a while but it wasn't a permanent fix. You may be luckier.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Easier to replace the switches and recase the key, I’ve changed various switches on key fobs, not a hard job.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have a look, I bought new buttons for it a while back.. I had to be creative to get it going, because conducting plates for the battery was snapped off..

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other day I was busy with the car, drained the battery, charged it, and then the car locked with the FOB again... For a few times, after that it did it every now and then again.

I also had Ignition key in message in the display as long as I have the car, apparently that has something to do with it.
Sprayed some brake cleaner in the barrel, the message has cleared now, foblock still works, see how this goes.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Ahh, you didn't give us all the information. If it thinks the key is in the ignition, it isn't going to let you lock the keys in it. Or at least it shouldn't so the fact that it worked sometimes is the fault, not that it wouldn't lock.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't know it was relevant..
But I tested it, this was the problem.
Yesterday I sprayed some brake cleaner in the barrel, what resulted in a very hard to turn key.. Just took the barrel out and sprayed a lot more cleaner in it and blew it out, she works alright again.

But it looks like I found something I don't like, does the P38 has auto lock? No key in ignition, and out of the blue it locked..

If the P38 has auto lock, can it be disabled? If not I have to hide a key somewhere on the chassis. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
If all the doors are closed and it is unlocked but no doors are opened within 30 seconds, it will relock. This is to prevent the car being left unlocked if you accidentally press the unlock button with the fob in your pocket. So ordinarily it wouldn't be a problem as it won't automatically lock when you don't want it to. Otherwise, locking by itself is a sign of a failing microswitch in one of the door latches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts