RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was this foam filter/screen under this grill for, and how important is it? What do i ask for and where would I find them? It requires 2 of them. I just don't like the way it looks ragged.[attachment=1:2dhgckrl]Filter 1.jpg[/attachment:2dhgckrl][attachment=0:2dhgckrl]Filter 2.jpg[/attachment:2dhgckrl]

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
http://rangerovers.net/newrremedies.htm#airconditioning

Air Intake Filter: There is a long piece of foam filter under the panel in front of the windscreen, and after a while it decays and gets pushed out of position by the air flow. FItting a new one is not too difficult, but Robert Watson found a cheaper solution. He reports "I have just used black pond filter foam to replace the rotted foam HVAC external filter in the plastic plenum cover below the windscreen. Lots of different filter material could be employed and presumably keeping this effective will reduce the load on the pollen filters".

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
There is one, it's long and it keeps needles and leaves out of your A/C system. The panel is easy to pull off, hopefully the retaining wire isn't rusted in place and the filter material can be bout at pond supply stores.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all very much. Off to the pet store this week. Let you all know how it works.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Consider for a moment where all the missing foam from the old plenum filter went.

I used fly screen wire on mine a couple of years ago and it still looks like new. Sure, it only stops the stuff bigger than a small insect but I change the Pollen Filters regularly on service and it has been very successful.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,427 Posts
green_rangie said:
Consider for a moment where all the missing foam from the old plenum filter went..
It could blow into the engine bay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up, BigMack. I too have wondered the same thing but I always forgot to look into it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
p38arover said:
green_rangie said:
Consider for a moment where all the missing foam from the old plenum filter went..
Thanks Ron. Maybe I am missing something, when I read Rave I thought it could end up in the ventilation air intake:

'Fresh air is drawn through the grille at the base of the windscreen and into the plenum, from where it passes through pollen filters into the air inlet housings.'

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,427 Posts
Yes, that's correct.

See the second pic above, I've always wondered about the purpose of the lower vents to each side of the intake area. They look like they feed into the engine bay. I don't think they do as the rubber bonnet seal would stop it.

They have no foam across them and I've no idea as to their purpose.

·
Registered
494 Posts
there's a member named 996turbo over in france who did this with aftermarket material and it looks real sharp. he knows what he's doing. i have to get around to that and some other things (see my nagging injuries thread) but i'm not going to use oem filter only to have it disintegrate later. please post pics along the way if you DIY.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
dutchfrompredator said:
there's a member named 996turbo over in france who did this with aftermarket material and it looks real sharp. he knows what he's doing. i have to get around to that and some other things (see my nagging injuries thread) but i'm not going to use oem filter only to have it disintegrate later. please post pics along the way if you DIY.

The DIY is no different from RAVE. Only the sturdy pond filter material has changed to save labour later.

·
Registered
494 Posts
so you're saying i can use the existing hardware in there (the skeleton isn't rusty, it just resembles the mast of a pirate ship) and attach filter medium with it?

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
msq17 said:
Thanks for bringing this up, BigMack. I too have wondered the same thing but I always forgot to look into it.
No worries. It's my job to ask. LMAO! I really like the "Screen Door / Fly Screen" approach. I think it would look nicer.
Temecula. Just visited my sister up there Sunday.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
p38arover said:
green_rangie said:
A not insignificant portion of mine ended up in the blower causing it to vibrate violently. Passenger side thankfully so removal was relatively painless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts