RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I registered to this forum this afternoon to get some input. I lost 2 cars in the Houston flood: 2013 RR Evoque and 2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S. The insurance company totaled the Evoque and expedited the payout so that I could secure new transportation. I've done very little research, but don't have the luxury of time at the moment.

I have determined that replacing the Evoque quickly will be difficult and have started looking at MkIII RR instead. Specifically I'm looking at this 2009 SC tomorrow AM . I would very much appreciate help with these questions:
  1. Is there anything with this year model that would cause you to walk away e.g. fluid leaking in a specific place, recognizable noise etc
  2. What checks could I run outside of standard pre-purchase inspections? Is there any on-board diagnostics for the suspension engine or tranny?
  3. There is a dent on the tailgate that the seller says will be difficult to repair (he seems to be pretty upfront), how much would you negotiate the price based on that?
Any other input at all would be welcome. I normally don't post before researching

IMG_20170827_124531.jpg
IMG_20170827_080528.jpg
IMG_20170827_080518.jpg
IMG_20170827_080431.jpg

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plight! It doesn't look too bad from the pics? A fresh new oil should keep it running, even for the P car. Did the battery shorted out? If not then you're in luck. It is still okay. The evoque is made to ford creeks and shallow rivers.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
Unfortunately, if the car is written off as flood it may not be able to be sold. In many cases they Insurance company will not allow you to buy the car back, they are stripped and sent straight to the crusher. Texas changed the titles from Salvage to Flood damage or Sal****er damage after Allison as a bunch of flooded vehicles were sold or auctioned off without telling the buyers. Even though the electronics and mechanical parts may be fine, if the water got into the carpet or seats, then you will never get the smell out and fight with mold and mildew issues as well as allergies.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
That's true, the Evoque has a 500 MM or 20" wading depth, I'm sure that everything is fine in the truck, excuse me, car. Now, good job with looking at a 09' L322, you won't be dissapointed with the truck. I've owned one, and I would own one again if I needed to, very luxurious, it has good technology for the year, and I do believe that the L322 is more premium feeling than the Evoque. Less plastic, etc. You also get a nice V8 instead of an i4.

As for issues, none specifically for the 2009, nor 2008, the 2007 had an issue with the steering lock, though most of those have been repaired by now. 2006 just stay away from. Though obviously you are looking at a 2009. A PPI should be done at a good Land Rover shop, or Land Rover dealership that has the guys that worked on Classics, they know more and are more detailed in my history. Call around first, I've found the dealership occasionally is less expensive than an indy LR shop.

The dent is very arguable. It could be an easy paintless dent repair fix, or it could be as the seller stated. Can't be sure until you bring it in. I'd use it as a negotiating point, see if you can have a shop look at the dent and give you a quote. Start from there.

Sorry to hear about your Porsche, hopefully you'll get a nice replacement!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
I am shocked the insurance company chose to write off a truck that was built for exactly this type of extreme conditions.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
I am shocked the insurance company chose to write off a truck that was built for exactly this type of extreme conditions.
Why? Flood waters are full of unknown chemicals, sewage, hazardous waste... etc. Anytime an interior has been in a flood would you want those chemicals and sewage? It simply is not cost effective to replace an interior of a flood vehicle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why? Flood waters are full of unknown chemicals, sewage, hazardous waste... etc. Anytime an interior has been in a flood would you want those chemicals and sewage? It simply is not cost effective to replace an interior of a flood vehicle
Hold it. Are you saying water would seep into a RANGE ROVER at the height seen in OP's photos? Also I fail to see how the flood water differs from the filthy foot-deep muddy water during off-roading. I am saying all this purely out of curiosity, not to make light of the Houston disaster.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's not even past the tires. I would change oil, run it, flush oil again, maybe do a transmission oil change, diff oil/grease change and see if she runs fine. Since they are totaling it out, the insurance company will try to salvage it, no? I would buy the salvage title back at next to nothing, and have my evoque and make money.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Wading height may very well be 20". However when wading you are moving and the water is flowing past the seals and plugs and the water is parted at the front with a proper bow wave. A vehicle parked in standing water does not have these benefits so yes, the water will seep past the door seals, electrical plugs etc.

As far as muddy water vs flood water. Yea wading in muddy water out on a trail somewhere is just that... muddy water and a bit of deer and bear urine tossed in for flavour. It's not water that has risen up through the municipal sewers, flowed through gasoline storage tanks and is full of what ever herbicides and pesticides are stored in the neighbour's garages and sheds. Any industrial areas upstream add even more unknown components.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've rebuilt two Hurricane Sandy flood cars - both took a hit on the beach near JFK so they got very wet.

While some States mandate 'Certificates of Destruction' once a claim exceeds a certain % value of the insured replacement $$ many others (TX included) do allow salvage titles to be issued, if that % cutoff value isn't exceeded.

A salvage titled car is considered to be rebuildable and will be assigned a new title with the words "rebuilt" included, once repaired and inspected. If the event causing the salvage title to be issued is known that too will be appended to any subsequent rebuilt title - for e.g. flood salvage etc., theft recovery etc., vandalized etc.

A vehicle issued a certificate of destruction can NEVER be re-titled for the road (in any State). It's good for parts only (except the body shell or cab in the case of a pickup cannot be re-used due to the CoD VIN's being specifically prohibited in most States).

Back to the post...

As ToadHall stated, door seals are for temporary repelling of water, not sitting/standing in water for several days.

Most modern high dollar value vehicles with 20"+ of water will be totaled immediately.

The risk for follow-on repair costs (especially electrical in nature) means that most insurers just eat their losses from the get-go.

Water flowing up the exhaust pipe will almost certainly find its way into a cylinder or two (only needs an exhaust valve open to back fill).

Unfortunately, from the photographic evidence, your Porsche is toast. I'd let the Evoque go too. However, if you're inclined to consider trying to buy one or both back from the Insurance Company do yourself a big favor and DISCONNECT the vehicle batteries NOW.

Sorry for your loss but hope you and your family (if any) are in good health and good spirits.

Glad that you are looking to stay in the LandRover family!

Rob

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
616 Posts
Thirty months too late.
But..... since I’m moving to Houston, actually Spring or maybe Conroe area, I’ll try to remember this service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts