RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today we went with so cal land rover club to off road trip. it was good except this defender i donno why and how flipped in front of me easy trail
and after we flipped it over it wouldn't start because of the oil came on top of the cylinders and it was locked, so we had to remove all the plugs to get the oil out. and you can see from the pic how much oil was sprayed out of spark plug holes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I really dont like defenders so this dosnt much bother me. But does he want to sell me that bullbumper? `)

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
It will a 76' Scout with a little bracket modding

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
It was good to meet you Eric. Too bad about that oopsie, as we were having a great time all day on Cleghorn otherwise. S**t happens, nobody got hurt and you guys did a great job with the recovery and resuscitation, that's all that matters in the end. Body damage didn't even look that bad, considering. I wonder if we will ever see those kids on another club run again... :wink: Some pictures I took of a few of the 16 vehicles in action yesterday, including the clean D90 that eventually flipped. :cry:

http://photobucket.com/sclr-cleghorn_02-20-10

Quick video of the recovery:

[youtube:3k806hr2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecN3INfxABs[/youtube:3k806hr2]

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umbertob said:
It was good to meet you Eric. Too bad about that oopsie, as we were having a great time all day on Cleghorn otherwise. S**t happens, nobody got hurt and you guys did a great job with the recovery and resuscitation,
HI it was very nice to meet you to. tnx 4 the pics. we really had a good time, flipping is ok as long as nobody is hurt thats part of the offroad experiance :)
hoppe to see you next time.

ERIC

[youtube:mhj23xyf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFxKgerk-6s[/youtube:mhj23xyf]

[youtube:mhj23xyf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLxXVOi4Xk[/youtube:mhj23xyf]

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Nice Pic's :clap: :clap: I'm glad all was ok..

Scotty

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
HUMMER H1 said:
....flipping is ok as long as nobody is hurt thats part of the offroad experiance :)

Really? Hhhhmm...there are quite a few people who would disagree with that philosophy...and not many who would want that as part of their offroading experience.

Judging by where he's lying in the road, it looks like he may have taken the high road a bit too far...

Umberto...nice pics as always!! How's your summer look for (Unofficial) Great Divide V?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Umberto...nice pics as always!! How's your summer look for (Unofficial) Great Divide V?
I heard through the grapevine that Spiker may not put it together this year... Have you heard otherwise? Haven't seen Adam in ages.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
That's correct Umberto, hence the "unofficial" moniker, I don't see any more formal GD trips.

Hopefully there will enough interest from individuals, but it won't be an organized trip as in the past...

Early talk here of doing some of the Utah locations (Grand Escalante, the Swell) as well as perhaps parts of Colorado...all ideas in early stages of formation so far.

Hope all is well.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
PJPR01 said:
That's correct Umberto, hence the "unofficial" moniker, I don't see any more formal GD trips.

Hopefully there will enough interest from individuals, but it won't be an organized trip as in the past...

Early talk here of doing some of the Utah locations (Grand Escalante, the Swell) as well as perhaps parts of Colorado...all ideas in early stages of formation so far.

Hope all is well.
You keep me updated; might not be able to make it the Rally this year. :cry:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Yup...the rally is looking very dim this year despite the temptation of the location, bad timing for us from a work perspective, but Black Bear Pass/Imogene/Ophir Pass and others are beginning to call again and nothing like a wagon train of LR's trekking over the pass to put a smile on your face.

Still working the vacation dates though...

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
PJPR01 - Are those routes ok for a rookie - please let me know as well. Need to get out there for some fun

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
PJPR01 - Are those routes ok for a rookie - please let me know as well. Need to get out there for some fun
Some of the trails are very much OK for beginners but with a spotter, others are not recommended for novice drivers and people have paid the ultimate price, especially those who are unfamiliar with gravity. You should know your vehicle quite well, have no fear of heights and be quite comfortable driving along the edges of a cliff, but you can certainly work your way up to some of the more difficult trails after a week of gaining experience.

Black Bear - I don't recommend at all as a beginner
Imogene - not too bad, some very narrow spots with full drop offs, just stay on the trail and you're good...
Ophir - pretty easy, but again, narrow and no room to pass anywhere so you have to scan the trail to make sure no one is coming the other direction.

As with all of these, you'll need to be equipped with your recovery gear, spare tires, good jack (not the crappy one from LR), tire repair puncture kit etc...

Get some practice with the Texas Rovers out at SCARR this year in Hidden Falls or go up to Barnwell Mountain, and some of their monthly runs...by summer time, you'll be ready for some Colorado thrills.

If you want to do some prep work, buy the book from Charles Wells (I think that's his name) called Colorado 4x4 trails. There's one for Arizona, Utah, California, Colorado..well done books, good trail descriptions and a few photos.

If you're going to be in Houston on March 21st, you can be our guest at the annual Dealer event we host out in Columbus. Good fun, easy trail to learn on if you haven't been offroad yet, basics of Terrain Response, HDC etc.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm recognizing certain trucks in there. Why am I not on the list for Los Angeles LR offroading?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
PJPR01 - Thank you for that info.

I guess there is a lot of prep work I need to do ahead of time. Not checked out TX Rovers yet. I wish your event was on a Saturday, makes it hard to come from out of town on a Sunday.

Well I have the shoes just need to get my stuff together now, got recovery/tow strap today . Need to look for a jack - can you recommend one or I can read up in the book when I get it.

Thanks again

·
Registered
334 Posts
Are you sure the Defender's owner wasn't just doing a spot of work on the exhaust?

It's much easier to get to everything under the Rover, if you just lie it down on its side.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
PJPR01 - Thank you for that info.

I guess there is a lot of prep work I need to do ahead of time. Not checked out TX Rovers yet. I wish your event was on a Saturday, makes it hard to come from out of town on a Sunday.

Well I have the shoes just need to get my stuff together now, got recovery/tow strap today . Need to look for a jack - can you recommend one or I can read up in the book when I get it.

Thanks again
Well inless you have steel bumers a Hi-Lift will be useless to you. Here is what my dad uses on his LR3
http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Tow-Stra ... ks/46.aspx

Remember there is a diference in a tow strap, recovery strap, and winch strap. If you snatch with a tow strap or winch strap its going to brake or just waste a ton of energy, recovery straps are designed to expand and contract which will make snatching alot eaiser.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts