RangeRovers.net Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
449 Posts
Meanwhile back with my existing photos; This one shows the motors and microswitches mount - with the tiny superlock actuator motor on top of the main motor.

(Incidentally I have now replaced the microswitch 'block' on this mount with three individual 'DB' type microswitches; I also have some photos of this modification if you are interested..)

-It is (probably) recommended permanently disconnecting the feed to the superlock actuator - in order to ensure that the 'pawl' previously mentioned stays in its 'normal' position - and so disables the troublesome superlock facility within the latch....

Attachments

·
Banned
449 Posts
It is not, however, recommended to remove the superlock actuator motor physically - or else that all-important pawl falls out !

If you do remove that motor though you can at least make it into something useful - and mobile....

Attachments

·
Banned
449 Posts
Decided to investigate the latch more closely....

Photos below show the normal sequence; Lock/Superlock / On catch / OPEN.

There is no reason why this should mechanically 'foul up', thus leaving the cogs/nylon cams/motors/etc as the primary culprits when this happens: Once that mechanism - as illustrated previously- is in the 'superlocked' position it does take more force to reverse it though... putting an extra strain on the main motor.

The 'Hammer Technique' is also illustrated in the first frame: A hard wack where the arrow is (breaking the plastic) allows the spring to be extracted so the cam contact at 'X' can be released.

Attachments

·
Banned
449 Posts
Apparently WD40 will not harm the lock.... but not much will actually get inside it anyways.... unless you drill into that plastic plate ?!

Plenty will get everywhere else though, as on the LHD example below.

Just one last ('Columbo-style') question however, what is/was that extra metal arm for ?

Any ideas ??

Attachments

·
Banned
449 Posts
Yes, I may not have been clear enough Jos: I realised a while back that bracket is 'surplus to requirements' (and indeed gets in the way when the lock is being installed): The real mystery is why is it there in the first case !?

It is also on the passenger latches too.... but not for long !

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Sterling work fanman!
Well, I got the BECM, ECU, receiver and remote back. I fitted it back in the car but when I tried booting up the BECM it didn't beep, I took the fuses back out and investigated. The battery is brand new and fully charged, the fuse box had 12 volts going to it, all the plugs were in. I tried again, still no response from the BECM. I tried to sync the remote in the door lock but it didn't happen.
I tried again but this time I turned the key to start it, the display started up "engine disabled"!
I'm back where I was. How alarming.
Looks like hammer time has come.

·
Banned
449 Posts
NO, don't use the hammer !! Well not before you have at least tried Kryptonite, the only thing known to defeat Super-Lock !

When you do get if off you may just find the main motor is burned out and a microswitch is dead (ie. due to corrosion ?).....

·
Banned
449 Posts
Forgot to post up this photo but it may not be significant anyways !...

Beyond the various electrical issues -bogus BECM/Outstation signals and/or corrosion etc- there may be some other reason/s why the main motor can not (easily) unsuperlock the mechanism; All I could find within that may be responsible was the 'spring loaded catch' (SLC), which operates on cams beneath (Superlock/Lock/Open) as it unlocks - and there is only marginally more effort (ie. motor torque) required to move from Superlock -> Lock as compared to Lock -> Open...... If the 'Superlock' area of the cam is only used infrequently (and is not well lubricated either) it may cause some problems though ? Who knows ? [Columbo/off !]

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just cut the two legs and you are done....I did this to mine when i had problem with superlocked drivers door.I cut it two times until fix this horrible thing!

·
Banned
449 Posts
Yes indeed, RelicHunter, it also makes sense to chop the superlock wire/s too.... That way those little plastic pawls never move again !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I got it going at last!!
I had to get a new door latch and a door handle so I could use the EKA that Lee had enabled in the menu. Once I disabled the alarm everything was good. Thanks for everybodys help.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts