RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected p38, put some fuel in, on m25 injector light came on, into limp mode. Got home, did all usual checks, changed in tank pump/filter. No go, starts refuses to rev. Changed no. 4 injector in case sensor gone ( known fault) no go. Shows low fuel pressure on diagnostic, bled through, same again, got 3 good injectors, known good units, do I change them out and hope that works, or look at diesel pump.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
957 Posts
What type of diagnostic are you using? Generic ones can't access ECU and give wrong faults. You got to have a Nanocom /Hawkeye/ Test book.
Give more details like your location, may be someone close to you can help..

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It sounds like the FIP (Fuel Injection Pump). It is a complicated piece of kit with solenoids and potentiometers inside. Expensive even for a reconditioned one. Don't mess about with it unless you know what you are doing.
There may be a chance that the pump has gummed up with deposits or varnishes. What mileage has the car done? Maybe try some injector cleaner in the tank first but it is going to be hard to drive around in limp mode.
Could be something else. Crappy diesel? Have you changed the fuel filter? Any bubbles in the clear pipe to the FIP? Bleed off pipes to the injectors OK?
You need proper p38 diagnostics to clear the fault and see if it returns.
A duff battery or bad earth points can cause similar problems.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dave is very correct. Also, check the wiring/ connector for the No 4 injector. It's wire could easily damage if you are not carful when installing the intake manifold. Once I got it because I forgot to push in the connector properly.
Why did you replace the in tank pump and injectors in the first place? was there any trouble?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts