RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the mall this morning, parked the car and hit the lock button on the door handle, two beeps, didn't think much of it and just hit the remote lock and walked away. Came back to the car in 15 minutes to drive away, it wouldn't recognize the key. Help the key under steering wheel column for several minutes, several times, NOTHING, called Roadside which was about as much help as not calling them. They sent a tow truck and towed the car to my house where I tried the second key. NOTHING. Then they towed the car to the dealer. ridiculous. Completely shat on my very well planned Sunday. This car sucks at the simplest things in the world. Who gives a **** if it can climb a freaking mountain if you can't start it. I can't imagine what I would have done if this had happened out in the middle of nowhere. RIDICULOUS!!! I'll have to call the dealer in the morning to see about a loaner since this happened on a Sunday and they were closed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I feel your frustration man, that sucks. :(

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So since I'm going to be talking to the dealer tomorrow, I made a list that maybe some of you could also use:

1. Car does NOT recognize smart key. Could not start car with either of the two smart keys and had to have it towed in to the dealer. Held the key under the steering wheel column as book instructs to no avail. Smart key buttons still lock and unlock the vehicle. No alternate way to operate vehicle.
2. Navigation language setting does not retain selected language (English (US)). Keeps reverting back to English (UK) TSB # LTB000240
3. Navigation system freezes Completely blacks out (once a month). Doesn’t come back until car is turned off, walk away, 15 minute wait, restart.
a. Range Rover and Range Rover Sport.
433 MHz LR020366
315 MHz LR020365
4. Rear driver side window does not roll all the way up. When it gets to the top it rolls back down. To reproduce, hit auto-up button for that window.
5. Navigation volume does not stay low when stereo is turned back up. To reproduce problem:
a. Turn navigation volume down
b. Then turn up music volume. Navigation volume comes back up with it. Best to try when in guidance.
6. Driver side hood latch does not operate properly and is VERY UNSAFE. From time to time it releases on its own and the hood has to be opened and shut again to fix.
7. Phone issues:
a. Steering wheel button cannot be used to answer a call (75% of the time)
b. On screen button must be repeatedly pressed 5-10 times to answer call (75% of the time)
c. When call waiting comes in and line is switched over, cannot switch back to original call with handsfree.
d. Generally poor phone audio quality
8. Generally poor Satellite radio quality
9. Driver seat memory intermittently wrong. Steering wheel memory not functional.
10. Driver Seat does not go far enough back. Fix has been reported.
11. External audio sometimes starts where it left off and sometimes from beginning. No logic.
12. Car kept saying rear hatch was open. I opened and closed it 5 times. still said open. I restarted the car and it was fine. 5% of the time.
13. Squeaky brakes

·
Registered
96 Posts
Man.....I was at the dealership the other day getting my second key programmed and had time to kill so I was admiring the 2010's. This makes me love my 2008 that much more.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CB08 said:
Man.....I was at the dealership the other day getting my second key programmed and had time to kill so I was admiring the 2010's. This makes me love my 2008 that much more.
I would NOT upgrade, yet! Give it two more years.
What is hilarious is I just found out that my cousin in an electrical engineer at Land Rover UK. I sent her the list and told her to get to work. LOL. She was shocked. Which is a bad sign.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a few of the same problems with my 2010. I copied your previous post and added what I learned from the dealer below:

1. Car does NOT recognize smart key. Could not start car with either of the two smart keys and had to have it towed in to the dealer. Held the key under the steering wheel column as book instructs to no avail. Smart key buttons still lock and unlock the vehicle. No alternate way to operate vehicle.

I got nothing. That sucks. Sorry.

2. Navigation language setting does not retain selected language (English (US)). Keeps reverting back to English (UK) TSB # LTB000240

Dealer explained that this will be addressed in a software update that was not yet available when I took my car in for service (in late February). I think I read somewhere on this site that the new software would be rolled out sometime in March. That's probably no longer true.

3. Navigation system freezes Completely blacks out (once a month). Doesn’t come back until car is turned off, walk away, 15 minute wait, restart.

This happened to me once. I was able to immediately restart the car and fix it. I haven't seen it since that time.

4. Rear driver side window does not roll all the way up. When it gets to the top it rolls back down. To reproduce, hit auto-up button for that window.

The dealer has a software fix for this problem. I had the same issue. I don't use the rear windows very often, but it seems to have been fixed.

5. Navigation volume does not stay low when stereo is turned back up. To reproduce problem:
b. Then turn up music volume. Navigation volume comes back up with it. Best to try when in guidance.

I have this problem. There was no fix the last time I checked. The dealer will act like it is designed to do this. The navigation software is very similar to the software used by Lexus. In a Lexus, the navigation volume is set to a certain level, and it stays there. In the Sport, it will increase if the volume in the car increases. The problem with this approach is that it also mutes the front speakers when it talks to you. You're cruising along with the music up, and suddenly this British bitch starts yelling at you to turn left. It's annoying. In the meantime, set the navigation volume to the lowest setting. If it gets loud while you are using it, turn the volume knob down while it is talking to you. That seems to reset the volume -- at least until you restart the car.

6. Driver side hood latch does not operate properly and is VERY UNSAFE. From time to time it releases on its own and the hood has to be opened and shut again to fix.

Same problem, too.

7. Phone issues:

I have never had this problem with my Blackberry.

b. On screen button must be repeatedly pressed 5-10 times to answer call (75% of the time)

I have never had this problem with my Blackberry.

c. When call waiting comes in and line is switched over, cannot switch back to original call with handsfree.

Oddly enough, I've never used call waiting in my Sport. :(

I'm not sure if mine is "poor" or just normal for a bluetooth connection. It's not great.

Again, I don't know if this is normal for satellite radio. Part of the problem is that the iPod and HD radio sound so nice in this car. I think the satellite radio just sounds crappy by comparison. Regardless, I'm canceling Sirius because it sounds so bad. To explain it to the uninitiated, it sounds like listening to an audio sample on the internet circa 2001. Super low quality digital sound with no definition in the high ranges and really high compression.

9. Driver seat memory intermittently wrong. Steering wheel memory not functional.

I've had this problem only a handful of times. At least once, I later realized I pressed a different memory button when I got out of the car instead of the lock button. Try programming all of your buttons the same and see if you still have the problem (if that's an option in your family).

I'm 6 feet tall. I have about 1 inch of unused travel on my driver's seat. It's definitely not a lot. Should I be getting more?

11. External audio sometimes starts where it left off and sometimes from beginning. No logic.

I noticed with my new iPod Nano, this was very common. With my 2G iPhone, this never happens. From what I can tell, the Nano shuts down and starts from the first track (alphabetically) in my library. This may have something to do with the fact that the car won't charge an iPod when the car is off. The iPhone will remain on the last track. One additional thing I've noticed is that sometimes the car itself will forget that it should be playing random tracks from a playlist. When I restart the car, it will still be on the last song except it will then play the very next song (alphabetically) in my library until I press the shuffle, shuffle playlist, etc. button again. This happens only every 25 starts or so.

12. Car kept saying rear hatch was open. I opened and closed it 5 times. still said open. I restarted the car and it was fine. 5% of the time.

I have not had this problem.

13. Squeaky brakes

I have only had this problem with my car when feathering the brakes in reverse. My brakes do not squeak when moving forward. My brakes usually stop squeaking about a week after I wash it -- i.e., when the brake dust starts visibly collecting on the wheels.

I hope this helps you. FYI, my Sport was born in 9/09.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I know my RRS is only 3 weeks old but none of the above have appeared in mine. I am having a minor issue with the SIRIUS radio menus but was told to wait for a sw update. I suspect all of the items you list related to the screen - i.e. phone, nav volume, language, etc. are simply sw updates.

As for the window - you can fix this yourself. It's rather easy as a service tech showed me:

Hold the button down until the window fully lowers - a faint "click" will be heard. Now roll it up and keep holding the button (up) - wait for faint "click" again. Repeat this action once more and the pinch protection/auto feature should be re-set.

Also, the window switches have (2) "positions"; if you press/lift just to the point of resistance you can control how far they move. To active the "auto" feature you would press/pull past this resistance point (you can feel the click). It is here where many drivers "confuse" the system and the windows will appear to not work properly.

What's been happening for some (including me) is we will pres/pull the switch past the resistance to activate the auto-feature then press/pull it again to stop it mid-way. This will over-ride the auto-feature and pinch protection.

Hope that eases some frustration for you. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've only had my 2010 for a couple months but it has been absolutely perfect. No wind noise, no squeaks or rattles, no gremlins... Obviously more miles are needed to judge a vehicle on reliability but I get the feeling there are some well made Range Rovers out there. I've been reading the UK forums and there are many happy owners with relatively problem free cars. For the OP -- sorry to hear about the headaches. I'd be frustrated too. Especially about not being able to start the vehicle. That sucks. For the casual reader considering a Land Rover or current owners thinking ALL of the 2010's have problems, take this forum with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
126 Posts
The navigation software is very similar to the software used by Lexus.
With that in mind .. is the 2010 nav screen easier to type with or is it still slow like the 06-09"s?

I can type a street name in the lexus almost as fast as I could on my home computer keyboard .. It is great ..

RR on the other hand is a slow painful process...

My lexus is an 06 .. I am positive LR would be aware of better nav screens by now and it would be mind blowing to know they continued to do anything about it ...

To bitch a bit more which have done on another post... the lexus nav screen handles the radio, ac, along with maintenance, calendar, address book, trip mileage, mpg, etc etc ..

Let me know if the 10 has changed at all.

·
Registered
382 Posts
beachfront said:
... the lexus nav screen handles the radio, ac, along with maintenance, calendar, address book, trip mileage, mpg, etc etc ..
Let me know if the 10 has changed at all.
So far the 2010 RRS (for the most part) does the above as the Lexus. The 2010 RRS has a much better audio interface now and a new screen for off-road settings for the Terrain Response. So while it may not have some things the Lexus has, it has other things that Lexus doesn't.

That said, while I am EXTREMELY happy & satisfied with the 2010 RRS updates/improvements, I am disappointed the screen interface isn't as useful/functional as my XF. I was really expecting the RRS to be (almost) the same as my XF given the incestuous nature of the brands. It is similar but lacks a myriad of functions the FX possess. :(

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
Trez, They'll fix it, don't let it get to you. Just be cool, if you can. Ride it out, They will figure it out, there's a software fix for all these issues, in a few days you'll be back to loving the rig.
I'm still pretty pissed at hearing your story and knowing that the brand might loose us to MB and BMW due to initial satisfaction.
My wife is shopping for a new car so I did the whole Sunday BMW, MB dealer holiday, and boy, am i re-thinking LR as a family brand; I still love my RRS but can't imagine doing gremlins for another 2 years. She'll likely get the X5, and just from "look and feel" alone I wonder if LR is for me in the fiuture.

I'm just sayin'

Rafa

BTW, after driving all those supra-cool cars we still got back on the RRS and thought, boy this is so cooool.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So they basically fixed the window. But otherwise just reset everything with no other updates. Awesome. I wonder if they know if this happens to me 2 more times I'm going to lemon this car.

G

·
0 Posts
man, sucks to hear that. Was yours one of the early 2010's? Have they released any updates for the car yet or are they just "resetting"?

·
Registered
74 Posts
trez63 said:
13. Squeaky brakes
... I was calm, cool, and collected reading the first twelve items. I mean, dude, calm down right? No big deal. But after reading #13, I just stomped a few kittens in a fit of rage. There's no excuse for that!!

;-)

Hope you have better luck. I enjoy the hell out of my 08 RRS but after bringing it to the dealership 4x for a squeaky suspension, I'm over it. I'm happy I'm giving back the keys in a few months.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Sport2010 said:
You're cruising along with the music up, and suddenly this British bitch starts yelling at you to turn left. It's annoying .

Thats so funny hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :thumb: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
Sport2010 said:
You're cruising along with the music up, and suddenly this British bitch starts yelling at you to turn left. It's annoying .

Thats so funny hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :thumb: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
the only way it could be funnier is if you were really supposed to go right, or God forbid...straight (slapping my knee right now).

·
Registered
36 Posts
trez63 said:
So since I'm going to be talking to the dealer tomorrow, I made a list that maybe some of you could also use:

Have not had this problem. When locking, car sometimes does not recognize key FOB is outside the vehicle and gives me a double beep. Second press locks. HOWEVER, in 5 months of ownership, have had car alarm go off twice when opening car. Clearly car recognizes FOB since it unlocks the door for me to open, but it failed to disable car alarm. Nice.

Yes, have this problem.

Have not had Nav system freeze in months. Happened twice within first two weeks of ownership. Stop, restart cleared the issue immediately. Did not have to wait 15 mins.

Ditto. But to reset, pull up on rear set window controls for 20 or so secs. Will reset pinch protection. Beats me how it periodically gets that way. Known issue.

Yeah, really annoying. I think this is one is my peeve. Even though the 2010's allow you to adjust the volume via the music symbol screen (Press and HOLD... the manual is incorrect), it still goes up with radio volume. Now there is a setting that allows you to set volume sensitivity to speed, but not the same thing. Problem is the Nav voice volume is much louder proportionally than radio volume. I have an iPod plugged in and if you don't use sound leveling in iTunes, then different MP3's play at slightly different volumes. Besides, there are times where you just want to crank the tunes. But yeah, the nav volume, when it decides to talk is deafening loud. I sent an email to LR about this. Have played phone tag with their service rep who called me about it. Most of the time, I mute nav volume, but when driving in new areas, nice to have The Voice give advance notice of upcoming maneuvers.

7. Phone issues:
a. Yes, but not as bad an issue as yours'. For me, this issue crops up about 15% of the time (non-empirical swag). For me, both steering wheel buttons will not work when it shows up. Cannot answer or hang-up using steering wheel buttons.
b. On screen buttons ALWAYS work for me.
c. Have not tried this. I do call waiting on the phone.
d. Not an issue for me. The other parties (to include very picky hard of hearing parents) often don't realize I am on bluethooth via vehicle.

Haven't activated it yet.

Haven't noticed the driver seat memory being in the wrong position. Steering wheel is occasionally wrong (20%). I am not using lazy entry. I programmed a memory button to my liking. However, I notice that periodically, the steering wheel does not return to my set position (I am the only driver) and that on even rarer occasions, the seat and steering wheel are completely out of position (a.k.a. Goldilocks syndrome... someone's been sitting in my car). Pressing Mem recall returns seat and steering wheel to preferred positions.

I'm 5' 8.5". Have not noticed this.

Hmm.. don't follow you on this one. Are you talking like an MP3 player... iPod? If so, that is more a function of your device and not the vehicle software.

13. Squeaky brakes
Yes, when backing and feathering breaks (same as other poster). Also notice squeaks when making a slow left turn, feathering breaks with steering wheel full left up to the stops.

Bottom line... there's a reason LR isn't known for their electronics... asking them to develop good operational software might be too much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems...
I have an '08 RRS SC with about 17k miles, and it has been a disaster as well. I actually got it back from the shop a few hours ago...the 4th time in a year totaling 14 days out of commission, about the same as all of my BMWs over 10 years. And several items have been "fixed" all 4 times...loose passenger door lower trim panel, driver's seat track, brake squeal (which they say can't be fixed). I love the looks of the car and the engine and want to believe in the Land Rover story, but this has been a very disappointing experience. I've also had inoperable DVD players (never used), driver's seat memory problem, broken windshield wipers (fell off the hinge), a broken window regulator, and a suspension that sounded like a 1940s Ford with no shocks....apparently it was the sway bar bushings and frozen sway bar bolts, and anti roll-bar mounting rubbers. The noise was so bad that it was embarassing to drive. Your 2010 experience is not very encouraging. Too bad for the best looking SUVs on the road. Maybe I should have gone with the X5 4.8...seemed a little too soccer mom, but at least it would function on a daily basis. Or better yet, the X6M.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Before I say this, of course I will knock on wood. Our 2006 RRSSC had problems to start, and ever since the ECU was updated as well as the SC cooling pump was rewired, that thing has run very well. The 2010 SC has been flawless. That thing is a great runner. I realize that the build date was much later, (Feb 17th 2010) but so far, perfection. No hiccups at all. The idle is a little, tiny bit rough at times, but it's not missing. I'll summarize that by saying it's not a Lexus V-8 idle. By the way, the thing just freakin' flies!

I was thinking about the squeaking brake thing. Our 2006 SC squeaks, and so does my 2009 FX35 and my bro's 2007 Jeep SRT8. Good pads and rotors squeak sometimes. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. The 2010 seems to be quiet so far, but if it would start squeaking, so what! They're awesome brakes! More dust=better pad. This last little paragraph is just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts