RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 06 has had horrible peeling of much of the interior trim as has been noted by many. The silver plastic trim on the rear center console, where the heated seat switches are mounted as well as the cigarette lighter outlet, has been particularly bad. It's mostly because my kids put their feet on it when they sit back there. It's been replaced once under warranty but the same problem recurred within a few months.

Finally I got around to figuring out how to remove it and remove the switches. I then used duct tape to peel off the remaining silver coating (sticking the tape on and yanking it off peels it right off). Then I fine sanded it with 400 grit, and used interior trim spray paint to put 2 primer coats on followed by 5 coats of medium charcoal metallic which is a very close match to the factory color. Reassembled it looks so much better and no doubt will be much more durable than the original finish. I'm planning on doing the silver plastic pieces around the rear door handles next. Can someone tell me how to remove those?

Gladly in my 2010 S/C I see they have greatly improved the surfaces of the interior pieces so they won't peel.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Fixed the peeling coating on my rear center console finally

I'd have been able to fix that much easier:

"Kids get your feet off there, or get out and walk."

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah it's my wife's car so I'm not there to lay down the law.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
200 Posts

remington said:
...Then I fine sanded it with 400 grit, and used interior trim spray paint to put 2 primer coats on followed by 5 coats of medium charcoal metallic which is a very close match to the factory color.
Remington I can't help with the door handles, but I do have a question, if you don't mind. What is the brand of the medium charcoal metallic paint?
Thanks,

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Duplicolor.

It's not a 100% match. A little darker than factory. But it's definitely close enough to look factory to the average observer, especially since it has the same metallic flake. You may want to try a lighter color if 100% matching is critical to you.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts

Can you describe how you removed that piece? I've had the same issues but, have been unable to remove it.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I should have taken pictures but here goes. Sit in the back seat facing the rear console. On the hinge of the center armrest/console there is a torx bolt, one on either side. Unscrew these. The right hand side one comes out, the left hand side is attached to a rod that goes all the way through the hinge to the other side. Pull this out. Lift up on the center console cover. Pull the plastic piece in question up and back and it will come off. Remove the wires from the back of the cigarette lighter and the heated seat switches. Push the heated seat switches forward through the front of the plastic panel, they are held there by friction basically.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
211 Posts

Yea I've dont this too. The center console was a pain but the door handles where the easy part, you just pry them off.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey, thanks for the info! I am currently trying to do this for my '04 RR. But, I can't find the paint you used. Do you have any more information on which Duplicolor Medium Charcoal Metallic it was? I called Duplicolor and they we no help. They said they make thousands of paint and even with telling them it was "Medium Charcoal Metallic" they couldn't tell me how to locate the paint. Do you remember which line of Duplicolor it was in? They said the only one they recommend for dashes is their Vinyl and Fabric paint. I'm pretty sure this is not the one you used.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinyl.html

If you look at their site you will see a long list of products.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/product_index.html

Would you mind telling which of those it was? Do you remember where you bought it?

Thanks much for the help!

Stephen

·
Registered
405 Posts

GKP said:
I'd have been able to fix that much easier:

"Kids get your feet off there, or get out and walk."
.... and don't use the front drink holders because they also peel. `)

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just found the paint at O'Reiley's in Houston. It's labeled as "Ford" paint and it only says Medium Charcoal Metallic on the sku sticker. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts

The door handle pieces come off pretty easy. Just take a screwdriver and gently pry around it, particularly at the joint in the bottom. It will eventually slide off towards the front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Do you do this from the outside of the truck? Or, do you have to remove the interior panels to get to it?

I want to do this, this weekend...

Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts

woldd90 said:
Do you do this from the outside of the truck? Or, do you have to remove the interior panels to get to it?

I want to do this, this weekend...

Scott
I was referring to the interior door handle trim. I am not sure of the specifics of the exterior door handles but I think it does involve removing the interior door panels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
remington said:
.... Unscrew these. The right hand side one comes out, the left hand side is attached to a rod that goes all the way through the hinge to the other side. ....
Thanks for the info. I actually ordered a replacement trim piece from bputah and trying to replace it. However the torx screws on both sides of my 04 HSE spin happily when I try to remove them. They do not unscrew...just spin. I've tried to jiggle them out with the torx screwdriver but no luck. Short of grabbing some pliers and going postal on them is there a step I am missing. Perhaps I need to put pressure/counter tork somewhere in order to get them to unscrew and pull them out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
703 Posts
rangeroversj said:
remington said:
.... Unscrew these. The right hand side one comes out, the left hand side is attached to a rod that goes all the way through the hinge to the other side. ....
Thanks for the info. I actually ordered a replacement trim piece from bputah and trying to replace it. However the torx screws on both sides of my 04 HSE spin happily when I try to remove them. They do not unscrew...just spin. I've tried to jiggle them out with the torx screwdriver but no luck. Short of grabbing some pliers and going postal on them is there a step I am missing. Perhaps I need to put pressure/counter tork somewhere in order to get them to unscrew and pull them out?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I just replaced mine a few months ago. If I remember correctly, you have to use two Allen wrenches. Hold one stationary in one end while you spin the bolt in the other. But then it gets even more fun. There are two black plastic housings that hold the two Allen bolts that are a PAIN IN THE ASS to remove. I wound up breaking one and just decided to leave it out when I put the assembly back together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I got the itch and tried it tonight. I was able to get the whole thing off including the plastic housings, unplugged the heated seat connectors but for the life of me I can't figure out how to unplug the cigarette lighter!!! I know the mechanism separates from the plastic (greenish translucent) covering but I don't see how to take it appart so I can finally get that freaking rear console off to replace it with the new one.

It's past midnight here so perhaps I'm just tired but how did you do it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am assuming that you already have unplugged it and it is out of the car? You are wondering how to get the actual lighter out of the old trim piece? I had the same problem when I replaced mine, I ended up just breaking the old one (since I was not going to use it again) to get the damb thing out. I could not figure out how to get it out any other way. Then it just pops into the new one.

How this helps.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Again... This is why it took me literally 4 hours to replace this one piece of trim. I could not get the cigarette lighter out either. I don't remember exactly how I finally got it out but I do think I broke some of the gray plastic around it and finally twisted in out. Nothing was easy in this project. I also vaguely remember that putting everything back together was a colossal pain in the ass as well. You have to put both bolts back in while aligning several parts of the closing mechanism at the same time. You really need 3 hands for that job.

Good luck!

rangeroversj said:
So I got the itch and tried it tonight. I was able to get the whole thing off including the plastic housings, unplugged the heated seat connectors but for the life of me I can't figure out how to unplug the cigarette lighter!!! I know the mechanism separates from the plastic (greenish translucent) covering but I don't see how to take it appart so I can finally get that freaking rear console off to replace it with the new one.

It's past midnight here so perhaps I'm just tired but how did you do it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts