RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fix list (+ dumb ?'s) for my "new" 1991 RRC Great Divide Edi

** just picked up a 150k SWB "Great Divide Edition" and am sorting through it. Major mechanicals checked out and given blessing by independent local land rover garage in Connecticut where I bought it. Truck was originally from out West so very little sign of rust. It's spending it's next chapter as a street dwelling city daily driver in Brooklyn.

First up -- quick, before it rains! -- I need to sort out my sunroof situation. Currently can see daylight through it when it's shut. When I bought it the SR was taped shut. Previous owner bought it that way, broke tape to ensure motor functioned (did and still does) and then retaped it. With clear packing tape that's now baked on in layers. Will deal with that disaster later.

I've started removing tape myself and indeed the SR seems to be functioning properly. Only exception is it won't open all the way in one shot - I have to release and re-press switch a couple times to get it fully opened or shut. No big deal.

It is missing the inside panel - so if anyone happens to have a lead on one I'm all ears.

Previous owner indicated this truck just needs a sunroof seal. Seems indeed it's missing a seal of any kind (minus packing tape). He also indicated this 1991 was built to 1990 specs. Build date is 4/90. SAL are first few letters of vin. And of course the year cutoff for sunroof seals is between 90 and 91 so I guess I'll try the 1991-1995 option first?

Questions: any GDE owners out there to confirm or deny this truck is built to model-year 1990 or 91 specs?

>> And also anyone out there able to provide photos of proper seal installation? Mine seems to be absent any seals at all -- any tips/tricks on install much appreciated. The Parts image (attached) seems to show two pieces. One goes on sunroof lid the other around opening?

I am aware there are drains for the sunroof that dump down into the A pillars and I'm sure they're clogged. I have a 6' micro snake on order to try cleaning out drains. From what I've been told there are 4 plastic drain tubes that go from the 4 corners of the sunroof?? Guessing these will need replacing after 25 yrs of pine needles and water. Need a headliner job anyway down the road. Hoping to get sunroof rain-proof first before I have to rip liner out and re-plumb.

Thx in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Re: Fix list (+ dumb ?'s) for my "new" 1991 RRC Great Divide

I believe the change over date for the sunroof from metal to glass is around 92, I'm not sure if the tracks are interchangeable
between the 2 styles, I know the motors do not interchange. the glass sunroof (moon roof) pane is very close in dimensions to the metal unit but just enough not to fit, (the glass is larger by about 2 square inches). worse case scenario if you cannot obtain the proper seal and only glass seal can be found, you may be able to trim the glass fitting seal to fit metal roof.
further more metal sunroof was available from mid 88 as an 89 to the change over date when the lwb appeared with moon roof.
good luck with all and if it is a rust free unit, I would get it rustproofed before the first winter storm.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I actually just bought a 1990 GDE also but it hasn't arrived yet, still being shipped. So i will be able to tell you soon. All the GDE were built to 1990 specs, even the 1991 GDE models. I believe these have a thin seal attached to the metal run roof that doesnt provide a 100% waterproof seal. They rely heavily on proper working drains. So I would first clean out the drains the best of your ability. Then poor some water over the closed sunroof and watch the water as is it seeps in and goes through the drains.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Not a definitive answer, but there's some more information on the 90/91 combo for the GDE RRC here.

http://www.rangerovers.net/modelspecs/1991.html
Thanks - found that. Seems the Great Divide Edition is essentially made up of leftover 1990 parts. So it's a 1990, with a cool bumper and a sticker. And it came with coil springs not air suspension.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I believe the change over date for the sunroof from metal to glass is around 92....

and if it is a rust free unit, I would get it rustproofed before the first winter storm.
So I've since met a guy in New Jersey (Via Craigslist, he's parting out a RRC) who has gone through 11 of these trucks. He buys them and then brings them down to Belize where he's from. He swears the cut-out is the same across the years for RRC and with a few bots you can take out the whole sunroof unit (tracks and all) and swap it out for another one - and he says metal and glass are interchangeable in that regard. Also the way the seal fits onto the metal lip I'm guessing that the glass is configured differently. The metal panel is basically a pressed pan - like an upside down baking pan. I've found a front sunroof seal and it fits right onto the lip and makes a wind/dust/some-water seal, but yeah the drains do all the work.

Question on rustproofing -- what method do you recommend?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I actually just bought a 1990 GDE also but it hasn't arrived yet, still being shipped. So i will be able to tell you soon. All the GDE were built to 1990 specs, even the 1991 GDE models. I believe these have a thin seal attached to the metal run roof that doesnt provide a 100% waterproof seal. They rely heavily on proper working drains. So I would first clean out the drains the best of your ability. Then poor some water over the closed sunroof and watch the water as is it seeps in and goes through the drains.

Indeed - I've since pulled the headliner to find that although my drain tubes were intact (I was afraid one of them had cracked within the A-Pillar) they'd been kinked. Somebody must have been in under the headliner before because the drain tube had an unclipped zip tie keeping it in place - which had, over time, left a nasty kink in the tube. Would be curious to see photos of the factory routing method for I picked up some vinyl tubing (5/8 I think, seems about as thick as what's on there) but it seem soft and prone to kinking over time if the routing isn't spot on. Anyone have experience with replacing these tubes and can recommend a tubing spec? Rather than deal with re-routing I might just put on some small metal pipe clamps to give the kinked section some structure and let if flow.

You get your GDE yet and how is it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)

An update with important improvements (cup holders!), and a few questions.

Namely - anyone know if seats from a 1995 will fit into a non-1995 RRC? And if so, will the same switches work?

Also anyone happen to have photos of the proper routing of the sylight drain tubes?

I've pulled the headliner to figure out the drain situation. Someone had zip-tied the drain tubes at a tight angle and halfway kinked them. Thinking a metal hose clamp for support will help keep them opened up w/out needing to reroute more tubing - what's there is at least intact if slightly deformed. Discovered a bunch of pine needles in the headliner too - someone parked this thing under a tree for a while at some point in its life. Truck seems mechanically and structurally sound but some water has gotten in via the skylight at some point. The wood on the console is in bad need of refinishing and the front seat cushions are cracked and faded way more than the rest of the interior.

I also did an archeological dig to figure out the stereo. If I didn't have a friend who once owned a car audio installation business I'd never have gotten it done. Ended up excising a blown amp, a crossover and a ton of extra wire. Also an adorable old Motorola cellphone box the size of a phone book bolted into the rear-right cargo compartment near the jack handles. Also replaced two 4" speakers in the front doors and the two 4"ers in the back, and the 6" sub in the rear-right cargo compartment. And crammed a Kenwood receiver into the dash. Hard to see in the daytime because of the angle - brilliant design putting the stereo in the center console where the cupholders should have been!

Speaking of cupholders bought some small trim parts from a guy who was parting out a RRC out in Jersey, including a cupholder set that fits into the hinge in the center console. Apparently wasn't an option in the 1990/91 model? Plastic is so brittle throughout the center console I don't have a lot of faith in the design but we shall see.

Also doing some cosmetic touch-up work on the tail-light grills. The grills themselves are in great shape. The top and bottom brackets on each side were badly rusted with the paint flaking off in sheets. Took them off and ground all the rust off and then hit them with 3 coats of rustoleum. Got all new hardware and new/used tail lamp lenses from the guy in NJ so hoping it all goes back together cleanly with all new hardware.

Last, I found a replacement tailgate window and frame assembly in Virginia via eBay. Mine is bowed and doesn't stay latched and is mostly intact but rusting in the corners. The replacement looks pretty clean and straight. Need to get the latch keyed to my mater key (my current tailgate window isn't keyed to anything) so I'll finally be able to fully lock the truck leave stuff in my car at night in Brooklyn w/out worrying too much about opportunistic thieves.

The plastic support tabs for the window tailgate were busted too, possibly contributing to the old tailgate window frame bowing like a banana. Sso I bought a couple repops from Congleton (LINK). Also the replacement unit I got which looks straight comes with a tail light. I thought I was going to have to figure out how to wire it in then discovered wiring already coming out of the headliner - must have come with a tail-light back window originally so wiring it up should be a matter of just hooking up the wires and calling it a day.

Also began to tackle the years of baked-on clear packing tape residue from where the two PO's had taped up the skylight. Paint is a slightly different color now but a good wax job and buffing should even it out. This Turltel Wax Sticker Remover stuff is great -- plus plastic Permatex scraper blades. And a lot of elbow grease.

Oh - and also got a new resistor. Within the first 2 miles driving home I tried the A/C or at least cool air blower and was treated to the melting plastic smell of the original resistor melting down. Now it only blows at full blast or nothing. Looking to solder in the replacement w/out having to remove the dash. Looks easy enough: http://www.okierover.com/fanresistor.htm

IMG_4959.jpg IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg IMG_5372.jpg

IMG_5388.jpg IMG_5405.jpg
IMG_5404.jpg IMG_4937.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

·
Registered
372 Posts

Nice to see a GDE in the hands of someone who cares - good job so far.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
321 Posts

Chris
My method is:
1. Get the rust out. Dremel, sawzall, grind, etc. Until it's clean and shinny.
2. Cut a template of where you will be adding steel (if req.)
3. Paint all around with rust encapsulator and/or rust-converter
4. add new metal (if req.)
5. seal and paint
6. cover everything in a thick layer of undercoat
7. if exterior, add a layer of fluid film

Rustoleum has some pretty handy products for this all readily available at home-depot.
PB Blaster also makes a marine grade fluid-film knockoff that's pretty handy for a quick application too

·
Registered
166 Posts

I think, the most forgiving and effective I used is:
https://www.rustbullet.com/rust-bullet-undercarriage-car-kit.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts