Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
i am installing an electric oil pressure gauge in my 97 4.6 HSE.
what is the best way to route the sender wire through the fire wall to get it to the centre of the dash. I don’t feel comfortable just driving a drill bit through the fire wall, who knows what the drill could damage in the dash space.
I am mounting the gauge in the little cubby hole next to the clock, where I already have the trailer brake control..
I‘m sure this question sounds rather trivial but if someone has done it before it might save me from a mistake.

As an aside, yesterday I started the engine for the first time after a very extensive (and expensive rebuild). I had some difficulty sorting out the oil pressure relief valve so I was very concerned that the engine did have oil pressure. I temporarily mounted the oil pressure gauge in the engine bay. I mounted the sender to a nut brazed to the cooler return line where the Union screws onto the cooler. I got quite a scare at start up, when, although the oil warning light extinguished, no oil pressure was showing on the gauge. It turns out that the oil cooler is not earthed to the body. The moment I earthed the cooler the gauge registered 60 psi, thank goodnes.

thanks for any suggestions
Al

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
484 Posts
I ran the wires for my coolant sensor through beside the hose for the cruise control. A little bit of silicone spray might be needed.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
There are several grommets that allow cables to pass from the engine bay to the dash. Find one close to where you want to route the cable and wiggle it through. The hardest part will be finding the cable behind the dash, unless you remove some trim.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,633 Posts
If I recall correctly the wiring loom enters the passenger compartment via a large grommet on the RHS low down behind the coolant expansion tank. I could be wrong about the location - it’s been a long time since I did it.

Get a length of 1.6mm welding rod, lube with washing up detergent and slide it along the loom under the lip of the grommet until you can get the other end under the dash.

Solder the wire from the sender to the welding rod and pull it through the grommet. Lube the wire with detergent.

I’ve used the same method to get UHF radio coax cable through the firewall on my P38A and the L322

·
Registered
804 Posts
Another way is to get some 4mm airline, which is more forgiving than welding rod. Feed that through the required grommet alongside the existing loom. Then feed the flexible wire through the airline to where you need it. finally pull the airline trough & off the wire !!

Just used this method to replace several wires inside a Vauxhall Corsa loom & through the fusebox without unwrapping it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I believe there is an unused hole near that passenger side pass through. Ran the power supply wires for my VHF radio through it.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Gordo, don't forget he's in Australia so your passenger side will be his drivers side.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sorry, didn't consider he would be upside down. Maybe the same hole is still there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts