RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to fit the Arnott Gen III Air Bags but can't find anyone doing extended travel dampers for the P38 to let me use the extra 2" travel?

Any takers?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Chas.

Which part of the globe are you in from your post ? If you're Stateside and specifically West Coast I've ordered Doetsch-tech's with their extended travel before !

Some recent forum members have had difficulty ordering product from their web-site since they specifically do not have a listing for the Land Rover-Range Rover, but by undertaking a bit of measurement below the chassis and referring to their technical shocks page, you can identify which of their DT8000's meet your needs.

Their "Pre-runner" is an exceptional design & are one of the only performance items that collaborate with our airbags. The other is OME's new Nitrocharger Sport.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the UK and oddly, given it's home for the brand, that seems to be a problem. Both the US and Antipodes seem to have a thriving aftermarket presumably due to their large areas of extreme terrain. Aftermarket for Series, Defenders and Discos is great in the UK but the P38 hasn't faired as well... I keep seeing cool gizmos and when I get there they aren't recommended. I like the measurement idea but fear I don't really know what I'm doing enough to get that right.

I found the OME Nitrochargers and they look great... maybe some kind soul can tell me which ones to order... I'm interested that you seem to be implying that manufacturers sometimes have something that will fit but don't realise it 8~

·
Registered
543 Posts
G'Day Chas.

The issue with original P38 Rangies was design of the OEM airbags at various height modes was felt operated opposite to what was intended from the beginning !
This was later corrected in the MkIII model from 2003 onwards, when at standard height mode offered a comfortable around town ride and off-road mode firmer.
So the predicament you're in requires all dampers to provide smooth soft valving around town and hard rebound when off-road, i.e. a Progressive rated shockie.
Bilstiens are a mono-shock design and offer the best compromise between handling & ride in our Rangies, which is why they were factory developed for the MkIII.
Old Man Emu from down-under created their new Nitrocharger "Sport"(a copy of DT8000's 20 years before) to satisfy the north americian market for soft valving ?
Just ask your local steering/suspension supplier to provide a damper with an additional 2" of travel, or drop the rig into them to measure up your P38 ride dude.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
71 Posts
chasman said:
I want to fit the Arnott Gen III Air Bags but can't find anyone doing extended travel dampers for the P38 to let me use the extra 2" travel?

Any takers?
http://hardrange.com/
http://www.rover-renovations.com/

if you do a Search you'll find most people are using the appropriate Bilstein shocks.
the above sites have them and will deliver O/S. or wherever you are purchasing the GEN III's from should also be able to supply the shocks.
both of the above suppliers support this site, i have dealt with both of them and they are top blokes.

...........tasi

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
550 Posts
Last year I ordered a set of front shocks for my P38 from Doetsch-tech and they took the trouble to take my old shocks and the height charts from GENIII to produce a custom set for my P38. Ask Carol, and she should be able to help anyone. As for the shocks, they are OK but not brilliant. Some where between magic carpet and and hard ride. Since, I don't go off road with my P38, I can't comment on the off-road performance.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
thanks for the plug Tasi,

I'm working on a full lift "kit" now, with GenIII's, shocks etc... I have the shocks ready, but as they come from the UK, it'd be silly for me to ship them to you from here (double taxation and all...)

shoot me an email and I may be able to have my supplier send them to you direct

[email protected]

·
Registered
43 Posts
chasman said:
I found the OME Nitrochargers and they look great... maybe some kind soul can tell me which ones to order... I'm interested that you seem to be implying that manufacturers sometimes have something that will fit but don't realise it 8~
OME N175 for the front with GEN III
OME N79 for the rear with GEN III

Measured on my 2000 P38.

You will have to make a plan with some custom bushes for the top eye mount, fairly easy though.

CRV.

·
Registered
543 Posts
CRV.

I could help living a lot closer to the African continent, just that the OME's contain nitrogen gas which means priority air freighting results in "Dangerous Goods" !

The ARB store is just down my road here in Australia which is easy enough to place orders, except the freight will be more expensive than other shock absorbers.

Haven't noticed any listings on the 'Rover-Renovations' website yet, but I'm sure Dennis is working on it as we speak and PM off-line if you need any further help ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I"ve not worked out a deal with OME yet, as they have HIGH minimum order requirements, that I can't meet yet....

and a local supplier would save allot of freight. I'm really liking the terrafirmas I'm running now.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sinned.

I get your picture ! Might want to follow up "Desertboy's" work and speak to [email protected]. in Santa Fe, as I've had positive results with their Pre-runners overseas ?

Some of the shock products available Stateside or overseas may not be available or visa versa, which means tuning each fitment to their P38A's gets a lot harder.

OME's are really well regarded down-under as 'The Benchmark' when comparing twin tube dampers against each others, which is why they have a new sports range.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vinniman said:
So the predicament you're in requires all dampers to provide smooth soft valving around town and hard rebound when off-road, i.e. a Progressive rated shockie.
Given the varying spring rate of the Gen IIIs from 145 lb/in in high mode to 155lb/in in normal and 225lb/in in low/highway this strikes me as quite a tricky thing to get right.

I'm quite surprised Arnott aren't offering a matched set. :think:

Still I'm in touch with Dennis now so I'm sure we'll sort it out.

sorry I was slow joining in I forgot to tick "Notify me when a reply is posted" I've changed my posting defaults now...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Some feedback,

I eventually received my front OME's from the US and the rears from local.

N175 - Fronts with my GEN III's and the axle hanging on the shocks.
[attachment=1:29l6d65b]G3LF.jpg[/attachment:29l6d65b] [attachment=0:29l6d65b]G3RF.jpg[/attachment:29l6d65b]

These shocks allow full extension of the ARNOTT GEN III's, slightly over the specified length but the bottom mount stay's firmly on the axle mount which means there is no hanging on the bag. I have only calculated the compressed situation and as soon as I have the full set on and the wheels back on I will let it all down on the bump stops and see if I have some safety margens on the compressed side.
The front height sensors do not need any extending but some more flex in the joints or bearing joints (rose joints) could help with stress on the sensor arm at full extension.

Fitment was surprisingly easy. The OME supplied polly bush was used as is and I removed the steel bush from the OE shock rubber by cutting away the rubber. It then pressed into the OME bush perfectly and I used the stock bolt again. On the bottom I trimmed the supplied polly bushes down by 2mm each and used the OE top washer and the OME supplied bottom washer. They did supply the wrong nut (metric) in the kit though, had to go buy a 0.5" UNF for the shocks.

No test drive yet, still to do the rears tonight and then replace some of the tubing and install my isolation and x-over valves.

Will update when the rears are in but I think these will require the sensors to be extended so a bit more work to be done.
They are N79's and should be a perfect fit for the ARNOTT GEN III rears.

Cheers,
CRV.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
All in.......

So I thought the rears will be a bit more challanging but similar to the fronts it was a basic bolt-in with minor mods done with a pocket knife.

Again I used the OME supplied polly bush and removing the steel insert bush from the stock shock presed it into the new polly bush and the top bolted right back in. The N79 shock has a thinner stud at the bottom than the stock and the front N175's so I used the locating washer supplied in the kit on the top bush and the bottom one just the supplied bits and tightened all up. After removing the hight sensor I let the axle hang on the shocks and checked for any tight cables or pipes. Onlt the left side ABS sensor wire had to be dislocated from it's securing bracket and just cable tied to the brake line for support.

Tried the height sensors and they offered up to the extended position with some room to spare! So now I'm thinking these don't give the full extension of the GEN III's so I measured from the axle bumpstop seat to the top bumpstop retainer, 253mm, pretty much the full 10"

So I'm thinking because I found shocks that will give stock compress lengths but with longer extended lengths I get the full travel without having to extend the rear sensor arms. Well at least mechanically they don't need extending, tested it and here are the pics:

[attachment=1:131e19m0]G3LR.jpg[/attachment:131e19m0] [attachment=0:131e19m0]G3RR.jpg[/attachment:131e19m0]

With the bags at that angle I don't think I want to have any more extension :shock:

Perhaps signal wise I would have an issue, but the sensor was only about 85% to the end of it's travel.
So, for now I'm not even going to adjust the height settings, when needed the wheels will drop down that extra 2-3" all on their own :D

Going wheeling on the Wild Coast of South Africa this weekend so will test it out fully `)
Oh, I'll take some pics of the action and post here.

Cheers,
CRV.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
The test drive .....

Out the gate and down the bumpy one lane road to the main road. Where did the bumps go ?
Wow, either those OE shocks were completely uslesss, or therse OME's are good!

Much beter axle control and no nose diving.
As suspected, a tad harsh with the vehicle completely empty.

Higway driving with the ARNOTT's down on 225lb/in it is solid with well controlled cornering, for a P38 that is.

I'm happy, my target was to get a heavy duty suspension for a heavy vehicle off road with good axle travel for extreme terrain.

The last chapter will be after this weekend when I'll be flexing the rubbers :thumb:

Cheers,
CRV.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Back from the weekend,

Well, lost all my pics of the weekend :x but some feedback......

Half loaded, 4 people, food & drink for 3 days and a trailer with the camping stuff.

High speed driving with the suspension on highway setting is still slightly harsh up front, but the rear is perfect.
This should even out when I mount the bull bar with winch and highlift jack up front and have the roof top tent mounted forward on the roof rack.

Dirt road with holes and ditches, very good. No bouncing or nose diving.

Slow paths with holes and high centers are smooth and the axle will flex over from one to the other without the vehicle roling or swaying.

Max axle extension is without bumps and unwanted body roll. However, the rears I am not happy with. The angle of the bag when extended causes the rubber to have tension on the joint where it is clamped to the lower 'piston' and when you go over an obstacle where the vehicle 'falls' back onto the rear after this extension it makes a disturbing noise when the rubber 'pops' back in. I will make an angled mount to fit under the lower mount to correct this angle.

No problems with the height sensors having made no mods to them and having flexed both axles to the max of the GEN III's on a few occasions.
No EAS faults or warnings either.

Cheers,
CRV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all

So, after almost a year, is there any news? Updates? Flex pictures?
For now I can only dream about new airbags and shocks so I can only live your own experiences, and hope, one day, have the money to upgrade.

Regards
rfsimoes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts