RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I hope the following is self explanatory.

It took about three days to do, and for the moment is working well.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Impressed; very neat.

Those brackets are much better than mine, could you get a second set made up by any chance? How is the sound insulation with them?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Get brass valves/fittings to replace the plastic ones with. The plastic is only rated to 190F (I think, may be 170,and that's only for spikes) and will eventually blow out with the underhood temps.

I speak from experience.

besides that, well done :thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well done, Spiggy! I'd love to have a look at your setup sometime.
If you're looking for decent fittings, I can recommend Isando Pneumatics (www.ipneumatics.co.za). They sell the Sistem Pneumatica range, and the ones I bought from them seem to be of a good quality.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Interesting, I note you mention 'New valve block" was your old one no longer of use as in re-seal state.
Done a few of late and works well and now have a couple of spare blocks for parts.

Im about to go the 337 pump upgrade, also note the filter mod as mentioned on a previous thread works well, done loads
and worth the effort, all compressors I've rebuilt recently were rather dirty inside meaning the original filter is not ideal
and seems the dust is the main culprut for wearing out the piston teflon seal.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
waveydavey said:
Impressed; very neat.

Those brackets are much better than mine, could you get a second set made up by any chance? How is the sound insulation with them?
Yes, I still have plenty of aluminium left. I just used tap washers, roofing cup washers and insulating strip, all found at Building Warehouse or Pick'n pay!

And, no, it is not too noisy! No metal parts of the mounting touch the chassis rail.

I made it by "feel" really!

BTW, staying in Constantia in Jan with the family, if you are around I would welcome some relief! :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shupack said:
Get brass valves/fittings to replace the plastic ones with. The plastic is only rated to 190F (I think, may be 170,and that's only for spikes) and will eventually blow out with the underhood temps.

I speak from experience.

besides that, well done :thumb:
Thanks, Dennis!

I notice that the plastic valves become sloppy with the heat, so I'm going to remove them and fit stop ends until I can get brass replacements.

It was more of a project than an essential upgrade.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
digita said:
Well done, Spiggy! I'd love to have a look at your setup sometime.
If you're looking for decent fittings, I can recommend Isando Pneumatics (http://www.ipneumatics.co.za). They sell the Sistem Pneumatica range, and the ones I bought from them seem to be of a good quality.
Welcome to drop by any time!

I'm in Rivonia.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
viperover said:
Interesting, I note you mention 'New valve block" was your old one no longer of use as in re-seal state.
Done a few of late and works well and now have a couple of spare blocks for parts.

Im about to go the 337 pump upgrade, also note the filter mod as mentioned on a previous thread works well, done loads
and worth the effort, all compressors I've rebuilt recently were rather dirty inside meaning the original filter is not ideal
and seems the dust is the main culprut for wearing out the piston teflon seal.

Enjoy
I think the old valve block was leaking slightly; I got all the bits, including a new diaphragm, to restore it, then found a new one for about R 4,000 in UK.

Took the plunge and bought a new driver pack at the same time.

Good for 5 years I reckon?

I have run the compressor inlet to the air box; I looked at the risks but couldn't resist it!

Did you post your mod for the inlet to the oem compressor?

·
Registered
483 Posts
SpiggyTopes said:
BTW, staying in Constantia in Jan with the family, if you are around I would welcome some relief! :)
I have to be home in Jan; my wife is having our 3rd baby about then so I will need relief more than you!

If you don't mind can you bring the spare bits then and hopefully I can follow your lead.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
waveydavey said:
SpiggyTopes said:
I have to be home in Jan; my wife is having our 3rd baby about then so I will need relief more than you!

If you don't mind can you bring the spare bits then and hopefully I can follow your lead.
I won't be driving down, but I think I can bring the aluminium. If not, I got it from the Building warehouse.

You have the tools? Drill, hacksaw etc?

Shopping list:
All fixings 6mm - just get lots of each in packets so you can return what you don't use

*6mm threaded rod, 1m long (cut it into 4 equal lengths)
*6mm acorn nuts, stainless
*6mm nyloc nuts
*6mm plain nuts
*6mm spring washers
*6mm couplers
*Plenty of large rubber or nylon washers
*large 6mm galv washers
*plenty of cable ties - 300mm minimum (to tie back the surrounding pipes)
*locktite

That's just for the compressor mounting, I guess you have the pneumatic fittings?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Running pipe to airbox is not a problem as you say 'run the risk' but I kinda of gather you're a tinkerer so Im sure you will
be keeping a eye on it.

337 compressor is the way to go, mine now just about bunny hops when it kicks in

·
Registered
865 Posts
SpiggyTopes said:
Tinkering is my downfall - can't leave well enough alone!
mmm I know what you mean, other wise I'd have bought a ...."yawn" Toyota landruster
There's no denying it the rangie certainly has plenty of tinkering ability..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts