RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have upgraded the hands free kit in my other car and I am planning to fit the left over Nokia CW-7 to my classic. At the same time I am hoping to replace the tired Clarion head unit with a surplus Kenwood unit I have had sitting on a shelf.

The guy who fitted my new kit today reckoned the Nokia kit would plug into the ISO sockets on the back of the stereo. My kit also has an Elan Intelli-mute box which has a receiving ISO socket for the stereo leads and connectors that plug into the back fo the stereo, that in turn connects in to the nokia black box and is also meant to link into the stereos power supply to power the hands free kit, meaning the system does n't need hard wiring. However, I have connected it all up, the stereo works but the hands free kit does n't. Same with the Kenwood too. Anyone done anything similar?

If the Elan Intelli mute box is not compatiable with the range rovers wiring, I will need to hard wire the nokia box in, can any one suggest where best to make a constant power supply and a switched 12v live from within the dash?? Any help appreciated.

Is there some issue fitting aftermarket stereo to RRCs? My kenwood sticks out of the radio dock by about 8mm! Is my Kenwood just a odd ball version thats too deep or can the extra space be created in there??

·
Registered
40 Posts
From what I see on the Classics is the sterio has a slode down to the transmission tunnel and the newer stereos will not fit.
The original stereos were a bit shorter in depth.
Ted

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sony Xplode fits. You can check crutchfield for fitment.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know how deep the sound deadening material is on the transmission tunnel? I need to find 10mm I reckon.

My kenwood stereo has a slightly pronounced section on the back and a heavy metal vented heat sink. Its a great stereo with the revolving front that looks very low key when parked, 10 CD multichanger. It dates from the late 90s.

I am wondering if a few hours cutting and scraping I maybe able to squeeze it in!

·
Registered
318 Posts
what year is the range rover?
the sound eadenin is only about 5mm thich then you at the steel of the transmission tunnel!
there was an adptor kit to extend the stereo depth and have seen this on a few disco1's as they had the same stereo to transmission tunnel clearance issue.
i have a nokia blue tooth kit i fitted to my classic and found when connected into the stereo it caused a lot of echoing through the car speaker and was picked up buy the mike of the kit

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 1993 hard dash

I have managed to sort the handsfree kit , it works with the Kenwood but my old RR system doesn't let the tel mute function work. I have ordered a seperate nokia speak to put in the foot well and not run it through the stereo.

I really like the idea of an old car with discreet high tech gadgets like bluetooth handsfree.

I will see if I can find the adaptors.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been back out fiddling with the car. Having measured the space it should fit, I think the iso connector blocks are getting in the way. Space is very tight for all the wires.

Does anyone know if you can remove the flat panels either side of the stereo slot, ie the panel where the cigaretter lighter, heater seat switches are? If I can remove those I reckon I can fiddle with the wires to create the space. The phone kit acts as an extension lead and I think could mean the iso blocks sit to the side.

I also need to work out how the sub box wires into the new stereo. There are two wires and an earth lead thats plugs into the back of the standard stereo. Not sure how to connect it to the new one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
use my iphone for my ghetto handsfree setup

I got one of those old cassette adapters to play my iphone through the stereo. Funny how my 17 year old rover offers the simplest way to do this with decent sound. Have GL450 with an ipod kit but it doesn't work with the iphone! My cayman needs some $1k unit to play 'seamlessly' so I'm back to burning cd's in that. But my 92 rover, it's plug and play.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am facing the same problem here. After 24 years of RRC production you would have thought there would be a way to fit an aftermarket sterio to one. I think I will have to remove the facia and dash then cut and splice the wires maybe even bash the tunnel with a lump hammer to make more room.

:pray:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts