RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My weekend project.

Couldn't find a good answer on line. Found this in the manual, if anyone needs to know:

Speed Input Terminal 11 of the Cruise Control ECU (Z121) receives the Vehicle Speed output signal from the BeCM (Z238) through the Y or YR wire. The BeCM (Z238) receives the vehicle speed signal from the Anti–lock Brake System ECU (Z108). The signal is a pulsing voltage and its frequency changes with vehicle speed.

That's what the system needs. Should work OK I think.

·
Registered
2000 Range Rover HSK
8 Posts
What unit did you go with and have you found any trim adjustments needed to fit it? Any other issues?

·
Super Moderator
2,986 Posts
Presumably to give speed dependant volume like on most factory fit systems.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's a Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT.

It's a brand new design with Apple CarPlay - wireless. If you want that then this is the only option as it's 87 mm deep and fits in nicely and allows you to retain the factory dash brackets.

Wireless Apple CarPLay is only just making its way into brand new cars so this is hi-tech stuff!

It works superbly and gives you all the usual functions.

No real issues getting it in but you will have to get a double DIN cradle from somewhere, cut it into pieces and glue it on the inside of the fascia. Test the fit of the fascia before you go and wire everything up. It has to glue in from behind and not on the ridges of the fascia or it will not go on again.

Mine plugs into the factory radio via the CD input. Lots of threads on that. I have the Connects 2 box but there is the Grom unit too.

Earth everything securely to eliminate alternator whine.

I ran new earths for the Pioneer, the Alpine radio and the Connects 2 box.
IMG_4465(1).JPG

Apple CarPlay requires the VSS signal to work. Something do do with the maps / nav system. Without the VSS wire it will not load up. Easy to run the wire from the cruise ECU.

All in all a pleasant three days of my life I will never get back.

Lucky I don't have a job.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James had his day in the sun.

He's probably now better off lost in a haze of alcohol and soft middle age, wandering the moors close to a grey northern town, getting the leather patches on his tweed coat stuck in a barbed wire fence.

If you can retain the factory radio, I surely believe that's the way to go. The most used control in the car, or of any audio system is the volume control; having this immediately to hand in its original, rotary incarnation is by far and away the most ergonomic way to operate it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Surely it should also get speed info using the GPS receiver ? Looks nice though !!

How much are these ?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's an Apple thing apparently, that VSS . But that will be the least of your time, installing that wire....

That unit was $AUD800.00. Expensive.

But brilliant!

I am absolutely stoked with it. Waze on the screen, Google Maps, seamless music, super clear camera video quality, clear phone audio, option for two cameras (front camera going in this weekend), fast start up, Apple Siri hot button, etc etc. And it looks roooly coool. My wife said it looks like the car came with it.

Do not hesitate to update.

But if you are considering another tablet, be aware that 87 mm is the maximum allowable depth unless you want to rip out the rear dash bracket and radio support cradle and I didn't want to do that. The previous ham-fisted installer removed them. I put them back.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
2018 L405
118 Posts
I think the VSS is needed in order to allow for dead reckoning calculations...?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes apparently. It's so the system can calculate its speed while in a tunnel.

But that's been around for years so I think it is some legislative requirement because if you plug the phone into the tablet via a USB you don't need the VSS wire.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you can retain the factory radio, I surely believe that's the way to go. The most used control in the car, or of any audio system is the volume control; having this immediately to hand in its original, rotary incarnation is by far and away the most ergonomic way to operate it.
There are adaptors out there thart allow you to maintain steering wheel control with after market head units.
This way you don't need to run a complicated double head unit system.

Are you sure about the model name?
DMH-ZS9350BT from Pioneer's website is this one which appears to be different from your photo.

The one you have fits rather nicely and I would like to know the model name.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Typo: it's a Pioneer DMH-Z6350BT.

It has built in steering wheel button control learning (I think, or you can get an interface) so you could connect it up to the speakers directly or get an extra amp. But as mentioned I like the original radio due to the big volume knob and the very high quality AM tuner section these old Japanese radios came with.

AM radio is everything here; that's how the authorities transmit vital bushfire warnings. I would not go bush without it.

Plus, even with these latest hi-tech tablets they still take a while to wake up. Sometimes when I jump in the car I want the radio on NOW. Might be a cricket score update!

If my DSP unit ever dies I will have to update though.

·
Registered
Range Rover P38 DSE -2000 Morris Mini 1275-1972
2 Posts
Or this one ? ? Drivesmart from Garmin.Nav,reverse camera,bluetoot. Drove all the way from Norway to Spain and home again summer 2020,glad i had help with this one.

·
Registered
632 Posts
How are you driving the speakers ? With or without the door amplifiers ? If you are using HK amps, remember they are balanced inputs, so you really need a proper solution from the Line Out on the head unit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How are you driving the speakers ? With or without the door amplifiers ? If you are using HK amps, remember they are balanced inputs, so you really need a proper solution from the Line Out on the head unit.
He is keeping the Alpine head unit and wiring the new one in the cd changer port.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My GROM uses the CD output on the Alpine. I assume I would lose that functionality if installing the Pioneer?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You mean the CD input into the Alpine. (Input in that the audio goes in; output in that the control signals go out).

Just for clarity.

The small blue plug on the top left of the radio. That's what I use, but instead of the GROM I have the Connects 2 box. Same functionality. If you use either box, tap into the black earth and earth it - see previous post.

If you install the Pioneer - or any other tablet - the audio outputs go into the GROM then the GROM output goes into the socket where the blue plug went.

So yes it will work.

You will lose the CD player function.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts