RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Diesel belongs in my one vehicle....
herd driveway1.jpg
Petrol belongs here. And if a 4.6 isn't enough, there are other options out there, although I wouldn't part with it unless for stupid money. Could be replicated over here for under the purchase price of that diesel P38 though, which makes more sense to me.
LSx engine.jpg

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1 Posts
Originally Posted by guyd Hi all,
I would like to fit a 300tdi diesel to my p38 manual. Has anyone heard of this being done? Bell housing and engine
mountings are easy but what about the electronics? I will be interested to know what will work and what won't.
Regards.
Greetings from Jakarta, Indonesia. Hi guyd, it can be done. Engine and Auto trans electronics had to be dumped. ideally you would use a 300Tdi Auto from a donor D1, otherwise another Autotrans has to be sourced.
Rpm counter/Tachometer still does not work, so it would either be adding an aftermarket Rev counter or modifying the existing (friend is trying to figure the latter out). Oil pan had to be reshaped in order to make room for suspension travel articulation, coz Diff location on lefthand side. Since the Xcase ratio is 1.2 (I think) the Diff ratios need to be lowered to 4.10(ish) to make the ratios close to original setup on D1 or Defender.
The RRC may have been reinvented, but hey it was lots of fun doing it (just kidding, all blood sweat and beers).
Though some say that the result would be worse than the original P38, the way I see it it would be a great improvement offroad from the current 1964 Series S2A 109" 4cyl petrol I have.
Still struggling with intermittent electrickery (haha which P38 owner isn't...)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Like I have said lots of times before, getting ANY motor in there is easy. Getting factory functioning HVAC, EAS, and yes a tach, is a lot harder.......
All factory stuff works on the LSx Rover, which was the hard part IMHO.

With a 6.0liter LSx engine and 4L60E transmission....
clocks.jpg

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
Oh heck, May as well toss in my 2 cents worth.....
I realize this is NOT a Classic forum, but......
I have an 85 Classic I use for bush driving in Australia. It had an old V8 Rover motor and an Chrysler Torqueflite slush box trans.
We put about 25,000 miles on it in the first few trips around Oz (BIG place!) and it would maybe make 100kph with a tail wind going down hill.
Still, in low range it did well enough off road. (Crossed the Simpson desert from east to West)
THEN I drove an Classic with a 300tdi, and Man! It went well in comparison.
I got a pull out from a wrecked Disco, and put it in along with the 5 speed manual. Not tough, and NO electronics. (Full shop to make things in)
With the Classic fully loaded for off road, including 2 80 liter sub floor tanks, it will comfortably do 110kph all day long at about 1800rpm. AC on.
Get's 35-45Mpg on long highway runs, and Kills my Mates Petrol Classic off road!
Bottom line? The Tdi 300 is not a bad motor. It is reliable, and has plenty of torque. (about another 40k on the Tdi)
If I had one here, I would drop it into my 00 parts car in a heartbeat!
Martin, I gotta agree, A hummer POS motor would be a bad move, but if the 300 could be had cheap, Why not?
Of course, if the BMW diesel is already there, why change it? For the money, re build it!
There, Circular logic, just like the rest of the thread!
Cheers,
Tom

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Total agreement. I;ve driven a few 300TDi conversions and really don;t mind them. In first gen Classics and early second gen they are fine. Plenty of power, great pull and decent economy. Once you get to the later Classics with added weight they loose a bit of their pep. I can only imagine they would be a bit of a pig in a P38. Then again the main issue for the OP would be availability. If BMW parts are difficult or cost prohibitive in SA and he has a 300 handy and ready to go it may be viable. If BMW parts are easily sourced there is no way I would do a conversion as the BMW set up is already there and a terrific engine.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts