RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinging off fitting 08 range rover sport bumper to my p38 i know it will not just fit straight on but has anyboby done it or can tell me any way to do it if anybody has got any pictures of it done that would be a help thanks :roll:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Lots of effort for a car that won't look right. IMHO
Although the Sport has same size as the P38. All the angles are not correct.

Seriously, If you want to rake some years off your P38, swap some Sport wheels in 19 or 20.

There's nothing worst than an classic car that has been butchered to look like a new. :cry:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd say, upto '05 L322 bumper fits nice, but sports would need a lot of tweaking and effort just to make it look right. If you don't have the lights of a sports then please don't do just the bumper. It would look bad i guess and the amount of money you pay for it would be a waste.

I've done the P38-L322 conversion with lights and bumper together. On that, the bumper had to be modified to fit the P38 and not to look awfully out of shape.

·
Registered
96 Posts
996TURBO said:
Lots of effort for a car that won't look right. IMHO
Although the Sport has same size as the P38. All the angles are not correct.

Seriously, If you want to rake some years off your P38, swap some Sport wheels in 19 or 20.

There's nothing worst than an classic car that has been butchered to look like a new. :cry:
i agree

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have seen this done before and i am hoping to get it done this summer sometime. from what i remember the person saying....to successfully add the bumper you need to change the tailights and to succcessfully change the tail lights you have to change the the tailgate to the sport tailgate. i believe he used an 06' even...in case you can find those parts cheaper. it can be done! for 6 months i thought this guy owned a sport until i finally got in his car one day and realized it was a 2000 p38 ! wish i could get a pic for ya but he sold it! he also did this with a red 97'.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i have fitted a sport bumper to the front of a p38 before, took alot of work and was mainly to show that it can be done. it does make it look like it has a very long chin, i have also fitted one to the rear, again, alot of work is involved as the bumper is not shaped as per the p38. for the front it means alot of cutting and reshaping. for the rear it means cutting off the raised corner sections, cutting them narrower and plastic weliding them back in place.

heres some front pics
[attachment=1:1yofnuhs]bumper.JPG[/attachment:1yofnuhs]

[attachment=0:1yofnuhs]bumper1.JPG[/attachment:1yofnuhs]

will upload pics of the rear when i swap computers

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
here we go, pics of the mods required for the rear

[attachment=3:3laa51d1]rear bumper.JPG[/attachment:3laa51d1]

as can be seen the tailgate aperture is smaller and needs widening

[attachment=2:3laa51d1]rear bumper1.JPG[/attachment:3laa51d1]

a clearer view of the problem

[attachment=1:3laa51d1]rear bumper2.JPG[/attachment:3laa51d1]

requires a substantial amount removing and the end plastic welding inplace

[attachment=0:3laa51d1]rear bumper3.JPG[/attachment:3laa51d1]

bumper finally fitted in place and foam used to bond and fill the void between the origional bumper crossmember and bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Sport to P38 convesions just have to stop. They are trully horrendous.

·
Registered
181 Posts
sport conversions in generaly are, which was why i removed the front bumper quite violently (drove it through a hedge). when mine is completed it will have a sport rear and l322 front

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers john ive seen u work it might not be everybodys piece off cake but u do a good job i just want to make me p38 look a bit newer but i dont want to spend loads off cash thanks mate :D

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I'll give credit where it's due, and Jon Auty's work is far and away better than anyone else's hack jobs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
thanks kmagnuss, hopefully in a few months when ive got this austin mini van complete, i'll be getting back on the p38!

·
Registered
46 Posts
While I do appliad the efforts itobviuosly takes to dedicate the time to complete these conversions. My wife summed it up best when she looked over my shoulder at this thread. 'honey, If you want a 2003+ RR or RRS... Go buy one.'

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Naturally with the "upgrade" to L322 or DiscoIII/Sport you have to go with big wheels. Here is one of our members that is mid conversion and breaking in his wheels to ensure they provide a nice smooth ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Carl you crack me up, ever thought of writing comedy for a living? I'd like to see that rig on a wet road. As far as that conversion goes, it looks like it has a fat lip to me. Hey everybody, P38's are awesome lookin to begin with, why change them? :hand:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
JHolmes said:
While I do appliad the efforts itobviuosly takes to dedicate the time to complete these conversions. My wife summed it up best when she looked over my shoulder at this thread. 'honey, If you want a 2003+ RR or RRS... Go buy one.'
What are you still doing here?
You have permission now.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Ever wonder if these folks are overcompensating for their failed first Rover conversion? Seriously, when did the Winnebago become a limited edition?

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Heh. In this thread, or still on the P38 side? I looked at 03+ RR's and at RR Sports. I like the look of the P38 the best. Maybe I'll get one in the future, but I've wanted a P38 for a long time now... And it's finally mine! (insert maniacal laughter here)

As for this thread, I'm popping popcorn as we speak. If other threads are any indication, this will be a great read!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts