RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time listener first time caller. I fear my beloved 98 rover is dying a slow death. I should have those taken those mechanic classes offered in school. As I am about to attempt to fix my EAS problems, I still can't figure out why it overheats only in the summer. And now I've been starting it up every few days to keep the battery alive, I see as it idols for a while, the oil light comes on. I check the oil and it is fine. Not sure what's going on. But I see that look in my wife's eye. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Hi.

Oil light is for pressure, not quantity or quality.

It could be overheating because your radiator is partially blocked...or the water pump is on the way out. My money is on the radiator.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I never bothered to take any mechanics classes, nor attempted to fix anything on any of my cars until I bought a RR.

Long story short, it's not too bad nor too hard to fix things on your Rover if you take your time, and study up on RAVE and this forum.

Good luck with your car. If you're stumped, why don't you take it to a local indie just for a diagnosis?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm. I'll check on the oil pressure.
On the overheating. I had the water pump and thermostat replaced and radiator flushed last summer. Everything checked out but it still overheats in warm weather.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my brother-in-law has a shop in town and his mechanic has been doing the work so far. But I don't think he is trying very hard lol. What would you be looking for as far as a reading around the edges of the radiator? Also it stops overheating if you turn the heat on high.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
It stops overheating because your heater core (the thing that gives cars heat) is essentially a little radiator with a fan on it. So if your system is barely overheating, sometimes turning the heat on high will help. (John Candy did it in Cannonball Run)

As for what I'd be looking for with the laser thermometer, I'd be looking for cool spots around the edges of the radiator. If any were found it would point to a blockage in the core...and which point you can try to clean it out and free it up...or get a new radiator.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Welcome
All my money on the cooling system. Doesn't sound like you have checked the coolant level lately. You don't need to be a rover technician or a mechanic to check that. One thing that probably hasn't been replaced since you didn't mention it, is the expansion tank http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-3538-expansion-tank-p38a-discovery-ii.aspx (they are pricey but have a good website and great service) This can be a spot where the system can lose pressure because its cheap ... I mean... light weight plastic

The "EASy system to fix" is giving you problems eh? don't sweat it. There is everything you need to know on this forum.

Did you try replacing the battery with a different one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. I'll check it out. The coolant level is good. It's strange how it runs great till it gets over 70 outside. The Mechanic I mentioned thought is was because the Aux. fans were not turning on. so he put in a switch to manually turn them on. Bad move. Did nothing. I'll check on the expansion tank.
Any Ideas why the oil pressure would be low? i've suspected there has been something going on for a bit. It started ticking once in awhile but no oil light till now.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
brentsrover said:
Nice. I'll check it out. The coolant level is good. It's strange how it runs great till it gets over 70 outside. The Mechanic I mentioned thought is was because the Aux. fans were not turning on. so he put in a switch to manually turn them on. Bad move. Did nothing. I'll check on the expansion tank.
Any Ideas why the oil pressure would be low? i've suspected there has been something going on for a bit. It started ticking once in awhile but no oil light till now.
Yes, get an infra-red thermometer and point it at all point of the rad. Absolute values are not important, but you do want consistancy. If there are areas that are significantly lower temperature probably more that 8c/15f, I'd be looking at replacing the rad or 'getting it rodded' (-if you can find somewhere that will do it). I've never known my fans to switch on by themselves in temps of 30c/86f. I too have added an additional switch to enable the fans in 'high power' mode, for additional AC cooling performance - it makes a massive difference in AC performance - especially at slower vehicle speeds and after a 'hot restart'.

If you were really keen on investigating your oil pressure issues, I'd be removing the sump and checking for debris in the sump and also in the oil-intake filter (- make sure both are spotlessly free of debris). Once you've done that, checking the oil pump too, is also just a few more bolts away... What grade oil are you running? How frequently (months/miles) do you change it? How long have you owned the car (/ carried out that oil change frequency for)?

EAS is the easy bit. Lots of help here - ask away....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts