RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks,

Good morning. A little background on me: I've been a BMW guy for a long time. I currently own an 88' e24 (635csi) an a 00' e38 (740il). I have been looking/researching the L322 for quite a while. I'm close to beginning my search for a vehicle but before I do I wanted to post and get some specific feedback. I'm going to limit my search to the 03-05 models if for two reasons - budget and BMW drivetrain. I am a fairly competent DIY'er and do most if not all the work on my cars. I've completed (sucessfully) valley pan, H2O cooled alternator and full cooling system - not to mention full suspension including struts, window regulators, PS hoses, headliner and typical stuff like that. I've gone as far as full engine rebuild on my 88'. I've assembled a list of known RR faults for the 03-05 model years. Cooling system issues don't scare me at all as the entire BMW system was a regular 40-60k miles maintenance item. Apart from the differential and air suspension issues, most things on my list are more annoyance issues. Given my background am I looking at this thing correctly or am I missing something? I'd appreciate any feedback you guys could offer.

Thanks,
Maury, Baton Rouge, LA

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
since your locked in on a BMW drivetrain,
get the 2005 version ,
it has most of the bugs worked out of it,
Also other small changes have been made since the 03 started ,
plus it has the MOST touchscreen nav system the 03 04 dont have this.
Also consider changing the trans fluid and swapping in the M60 thermostat mod
It should let the engine run cooler and thus the cooling system will last longer,
as will other parts of the drive line cooled by the coolant.
I suggest oil changes every 4500 miles along with a new filter.
This to assist in cleaning out the engine from the 15000 mile changes that were suggested from RR/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yeah, the "lifetime" trans fluid was BS im bimmer circles as well. First thing I did on my e38 is change the fluid (at 62k miles).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts