RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1996 4.6L the other day (in addition to my 93 LWB). I can't seem to figure out which wheels I have. I am pretty sure they aren't original to 1996, they are 18s. Which turn signals and tail lights do I have? How hard it is too find the later model headlights (2001-2002?), and are they are direct replacement of the early ones?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Your wheels are "Comets" I think which were fitted to the last of the P38s, your rear lights appear to be year 2000 on clear one's. Headlights look like early ones so proably original.

Cheers

·
Registered
407 Posts
Scary, except for the headlights it almost looks like a twin. Yup, Good ol comet wheels. That is one great looking 96.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super, thank you for the insight! Got the truck cheap, on the account that the owner says it needs a motor. I still runs, but not very well. I am going to pull it in soon and check it out. From what I read it may be a crank sensor. Other then that it is in really nice shape, no rips in the leather, it already has the coil conversion as well.

Now I just need to get those updated headlights `) The turns I have now are they from the later model p38 as well?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Looks like you have the later door mouldings with the chrome inserts as well, unless it's a trick of the light.

Cheers

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yup, i like the late model turn lights more than the all clear ones. Exterior wise it seems to be the only thing you are missing. And painting the side mirrors and bottom sections of the front bumper. I would just paint the while front a rear bumper and go for the westheimer look

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Col said:
Looks like you have the later door mouldings with the chrome inserts as well, unless it's a trick of the light.

Cheers

Yea they have the chrome on the side moldings. So that is later model only as well? This is great, all the goodies.

·
Registered
640 Posts
What you need now are some of the chrome interior parts from the later model, door handles, speaker surrounds etc. adds a nice touch in my opinion. Unless of course it has already had them fitted.

Cheers

·
Registered
517 Posts
reflex tuning said:
Col said:

Cheers

Yea they have the chrome on the side moldings. So that is later model only as well? This is great, all the goodies.
Depends - you can get aftermarket chrome strips to insert to make it look like the later models. The genuine chrome strips are wider than the after market ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone pin striped the chrome on the moldings. Doesn't look that bad...

On the motor bit...just as expected. Torque converter bolt backed out and bent the crank sensor and some tang on the reluctor wheel. Just in the middle of bending everything back to the right shape `8)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Nice Congrates.. :clap: :clap:

Scotty

·
Registered
407 Posts
reflex tuning said:
All fixed. Classic case of a mechanic with poor diagnostic skills. :)
:clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :thumb: and a little of this :pray:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Nice rig! Great diagnostics!! Your insights will be welcome and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as a bit of an update...

We took it away for the weekend, and it's about 250 miles one way. It started stumbling on the trip, and got progressively worse to the point we had to keep the revs up over 3200rpm to drive it. It definitely felt like an ignition stumble, so we figured the CPS was sending a 'fuzzy' signal as it got hot because of the damage, so we swapped it with a new one and the truck seems to be 100%. BIG difference all around with the new sensor, so we're psyched. We'll find out for sure on the way home... fingers crossed. Truck is absolutely awesome, and can't wait to fix the climate this week when we get home! It's SO different than our LWB County it's incredible... but I still love my Classic :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts