RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good idea to change the oil after the first 2,000 miles or so? I'm thinking there may be extra bits of shaved metal, etc, from the break-in.

Or is that extra early first oil change unnecessary?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think it's cheap peace of mind to change the oil and filter--did mine at 1600 miles. I certainly don't see how it could hurt...

(05 RR with BMW engine and synthetic--overly cautious, I know, but was same way with my bullet proof 98 528i and she still purrs. Never a problem out of that car.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Synthetic Oil and old change interval

When running synthetic oil, it retains it's viscosity and lubricating properties well into 6,000 - 10,000 miles.

You do not have to change synthetic oil as often as natural oil because the blow-by gasses do not break-down synthetic. Blow-by gases produce an acidic condition and natural oil can't handle it.

Diesel engines and turbo engines are much harder on crank case oil and the oil change interval is higher.

Supercharged engines work much harder than normal engines - though both HSE and S/C engines are performance engines - so keeping "good" oil in the crank case is essential. Be sure to buy good oil filters and not cheap bargin brands. Though much debate can be made about oil filters, try to find full quart filters... sometimes the filters are tiny, normal duty size.

Changing synthetic oil at 2,000 miles is a waste of money. If you have a S/C engine and running natural oil, 2,000 - even 1,600 isn't too crazy - just maybe overly conservative.

My recommendation is Buy Synthetic oil and save yourself the hastle of frequent oil changes and your engine will hold together longer. Just REMEMBER - once you go with Synthetic - Never go back to natural oil!

--Rainor.

·
Registered
93 Posts
First 2000 versus normal intervals

Sorry - I missed the "FIRST" OIL CHANGE Question.

Some new engines have a specially blended break-in oil - which helps the rings, cam, and rockers seat (break-in) properly.

Depending on what the manual states (break-in proceedure) - you may want to follow any special instructions especially on S/C engine.

What's harder on new engines during the breakin period is HOW you drive it, versus the OIL breaking down. Keep the RPMs down & consistent.

I usually make sure the oil and filter get changed less than 3,000 miles and immediatly switch over to Synthetic if it did not ship with Synthetic.

--Rainor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts