RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an engine-related issue that's bitten me away from home and has prolonged my stay out of town.

I'm wondering whether those who've had experiences w/ reimbursement can share their stories, smooth or not. I'm hoping that my prolonged stay in the hotel I'd originally planned to check out of four days ago will be covered.

From the USA roadside assistance page:
• Trip-Interruption Expense Benefits: reasonable reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses if a warranty-related disablement occurs more than 50 miles from home.

I'm not staying at a Ritz Carlton nor am I eating steak and lobster, but speaking to corporate Customer Service yielded guidance only to "Call the Roadside Assistance number and let them know; upon calling them, they said the only information they could provide was the address to which I could send my expense information. I suppose I'm not surprised by the confusing customer service, and so hope to get some assurance from others' experiences.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
770 Posts
I understand it’s annoying when a new car goes wrong, but surely it would have been better to be relayed back to where you live and have the car at the dealers you purchased from.
here in the uk, I had a relay with three different trucks involved because of the laws and driving time allowed, but I was happy to be back home at the end of the day.
im pretty sure if you went home they’d have to deliver the car to you as it’s still under warranty.
good luck dealing with any customer services..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand it’s annoying when a new car goes wrong, but surely it would have been better to be relayed back to where you live and have the car at the dealers you purchased from.
Stateside, the Roadside Assistance gives us the option to tow to (a) the nearest LR dealership, or (b) another LR dealership within 50mi of that dealership.

I suppose I could have had a tow truck haul it back the 4-5hrs to my home area (probably closer to 6 in a tow truck), and try to get reimbursed later, but sitting shotgun in a wrecker for the duration and attempting to make small talk w/ the driver doesn't sound very appealing to me. Neither does driving some boring rental car 4-5hrs, honestly.

In a few days, I should have clarification on what exactly is meant by the phrase "reasonable reimbursement" with regard to lodging & meals etc. while awaiting repair (which will involve a full-on engine replacement, I've just learned), since apparently the only way to obtain such information is by opening a case with corporate. Should the clarification not be protected under some sort of NDA, I'll share.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tomorrow will mark two weeks since I've had a case open with the Land Rover Customer Experience Center (CEC) regarding details on the Trip Interruption reimbursement benefit specifics. I'm still awaiting sufficient clarification on this case -- the case I opened as soon as I learned the fix would extend beyond a day or two after diagnosis.

At the four-day mark, the most important sentence in my case (lodging reimbursement, since I'm out-of-state, several hundred miles away from home with an impending engine replacement), which at that point could be read to me, but not sent to me, began with the phrase "one day" and also contained the phrase "per day".

Then, at the one-week mark, I finally had some decipherable info. The roadside assistance company's account coordinator (roadside assistance is contracted out to a company called Club Auto) who handles the JLR account called me and told me lodging reimbursement was "per day" and not limited to one day. In fact, when she read the sentence to me, the phrase "one day" wasn't even in the sentence. I discussed my relief with her and explained that one day lodging was a fraction of what'd already passed since taking the vehicle in, and was also a fraction of the time since opening a case with Land Rover CEC trying to get details.

My relief was short-lived when the follow-up email I had been told to expect within twenty minutes of our call, recapping the lodging assurance I received verbally (as well as detailing other Trip Interruption specifics), had yet to arrive several hours later. My skepticism climbed until a full 24 hours later, when I got the email, and surprise: the phrase "one day" was back in the lodging reimbursement, and there was no mention whatsoever of the assurance I received over the phone. In fact, in subsequent emails, I was told by the account coordinator for Roadside Assistance herself that she'd pull call recordings in hopes of finding who had misled me, and that she appreciates my frustration. Silly me to think that the third-party employee who specifically handles the JLR account would ensure the information delivered to me was accurate prior to delivering that information to me, let alone to expect some degree of owning the mistake, or some expression of regret and/or accountability.

Not once, not twice, but three times in the emails from this account coordinator at Roadside Assistance, I was informed that reimbursement thresholds beyond the standard criteria/limitations could be requested from the CEC, but the rep handling my case at the Land Rover Customer Experience Center told me that this information is incorrect, that there aren't any exceptions, and that the case wouldn't be re-opened since it was resolved from the CEC's perspective.

I spoke to a supervisor (which I had requested twice prior, to no avail; third time's a charm?) who understood that the conflicting information in various contexts was still unresolved, and re-opened my case. That was this past Friday (14 Sept), and today I received a voicemail from CEC that they're still tring to figure things out.

I bought my L494 for adventures; navigating along deep fissures of corporate ineptitude and straight into crevasses of the deepest kinds of customer service failure is not what I had in mind.

I'm holding out hope that JLR and/or Club Auto will do what I consider right by the customer whose fifteen-week-old luxury performance SUV's engine catastrophically failed, a customer who had taken the vehicle into his local dealership twice in the two months prior to the failure with complaints about knock and powertrain diagnostic trouble codes, and has the service records and email history to prove it. (They say a stitch in time saves nine; that stitch might've saved me nine grand.)

Should only one night be covered, then I'm curious how this situation is at all "reasonable", especially taking the 100-mile radius of my service department-provided courtesy car into account.
From the USA roadside assistance page:
• Trip-Interruption Expense Benefits: reasonable reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses if a warranty-related disablement occurs more than 50 miles from home.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting info found online:
To help safeguard you from the unexpected, that warranty also comes with trip interruption benefits. Anytime you are more than 50 miles away from your home and your Land Rover disables due to a warrantable defect, Land Rover will not only provide you with roadside assistance and expedited repairs, but they will also reimburse you for any extra travel expenses you incur.
source (admittedly about CPO but I wouldn't think it unreasonable to think there'd be parity between CPO and new; also, they use the word "any" before "extra travel expenses" which seems pretty loose)

If you are more than 50 miles from home, you may be eligible to receive trip interruption expense benefits to cover your out of pocket costs.
source

Trip-interruption expense benefits like reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses for a warranty-related disablement happens more than 50 miles away from home.
source (admittedly about what seems framed as a dealer-specific extended warranty, but again, believing there'd be parity w/ the new warranty doesn't seem unreasonable to me)

TRIP INTERRUPTION EXPENSE BENEFITS

Reasonable reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses if a warranty-related disablement occurs more than 50 miles from home.
source (another CPO warranty)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts