RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first freezing weather start, transmission failsafe, engine failsafe etc

I have a 2003 RR HSE, I just completed a 6-700 mile trip from southern CA to NV. I had no problems whatsoever, I started the vehicle early this morning I drove it less then a mile when it cut off and the engine failsafe and transmission failsafe indicators turned on. I immediately stopped the engine I can no longer start the vehicle up. This is the first time I've been in freezing weather with the vehicle.

The key no longer cranks it and the battery, oil lights are red when key is turned on, the ! with a triangle around it is orange as well as the brake and abs are orange. Another strange thing is the temp gauge is all the way to the right, I don't think I drove it far enough to have caused it to over heat and I was watching the heat gauge as I was freezing waiting for it to warm up.

I have an OBD reader but it keeps giving me a unable to connect reading when I try to check it?

Could this just be something I need to reset? I disconnected the negative side of the battery for a min or two and reconnected it w/o success? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
56 Posts
Re: first freezing weather start, transmission failsafe, engine failsafe etc

My guess is your battery checked out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

My guess is your battery checked out!
That would have been my first guess as well, as that was the cause of what I thought were problems before I replaced the battery a month or so ago. The lights in the cab appear as if the battery were fully charged, I don't have a voltage meter where I'm stuck atm, I'm on 3g internet. I have also hooked up a solar panel that I always carry in the car to the battery just in case that was it, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
321 Posts

I'd remove both + and - battery cables, wait five minutes, then touch the two cables together. On my 07 that reset things once. Not sure if your 03 is the same, but for mine it cleared all codes and everything returned to normal.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Open the hood. Remove the engine cover, unplug the connector going to the thermostat(force it if you need to, small pry bar, not hammer)

Then remove the lid on the big black box behind the air filter on the passengers side, a bunch of 5mm Allen screws. In there you will see a small fuse block with a few 30A fuses. Remove the sliding cover and check fuse 1. Replace the fuse, and have someone else turn the key on (not running) as you stand right there, and make sure the fuse doesn't blow again, and smell/look/feel the Red/Blue wires for anything abnormal (burning smell, smoke, hot to the touch)

If all seems good, you'll be fine to start it. The MIL will be on, as the thermostat heater is not connected(it will still function as a standard thermostat)

Replace the thermostat as soon as possible, and you may need to replace the connector to it as well, these tend to melt when this happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You were exactly right, thank you so much for saving me a lot of time money and headache.

Open the hood. Remove the engine cover, unplug the connector going to the thermostat(force it if you need to, small pry bar, not hammer)

Then remove the lid on the big black box behind the air filter on the passengers side, a bunch of 5mm Allen screws. In there you will see a small fuse block with a few 30A fuses. Remove the sliding cover and check fuse 1. Replace the fuse, and have someone else turn the key on (not running) as you stand right there, and make sure the fuse doesn't blow again, and smell/look/feel the Red/Blue wires for anything abnormal (burning smell, smoke, hot to the touch)

If all seems good, you'll be fine to start it. The MIL will be on, as the thermostat heater is not connected(it will still function as a standard thermostat)

Replace the thermostat as soon as possible, and you may need to replace the connector to it as well, these tend to melt when this happens.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
150 Posts

props to Dave again! Great work Dave, what an asset to the forum...

D2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts