RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my HSE 6 cyl yesterday morning. Spent almost 2 hours going through the delivery, trying to understand as much as possible about the dual screens. Drove back to the hotel and was then contacted by the dealer that the lighted sill plates had just arrived. I drove back to the dealer for the install and noticed a couple of glitches in the system. First was that my AT&T no longer connected and that it took a look time for the A/C to come on. Didn't find anything wrong with the A/C. Spent 3 more hours at the dealer dealing with AT&T issue. Long story short, It was a PITA to get resolved but it seems to be working.

Drove back to the dealer this morning to finalize the AT&T issue and hit the road for a 250 mile trip home to Durango. Spent about 5.5 hours in the car driving back over a couple of mountain passes. Overall gas mileage was around 23. Not bad for a beast.

Probably the nicest riding vehicle I've ever been in. Wow, what a pleasure to drive. Great acceleration, much quieter than my '15 HSE, much more refined. I really like the phone apps, especially the mapping app and the way it seamlessly integrates with the vehicle.

Some things I don't like about the '18:
- why did they get rid of the storage in the door compartment? The compartment under the drink holders sucks. You have to take your drinks out to open it.
- the dual screen system definitely takes longer to start up
- I have a glitch with my system. My home screens do not retain the custom buttons after being powered down. I submitted a trouble ticket on this
- the steering wheel buttons just aren't very responsive compared to the '15. There was no doubt when you pressed those buttons. These are very finicky and I don't like them.
- I wish they would fix the Apple integration. Very limited compared to Android.
- I wish there were more options for putting different content on the single dial display.,

Overall very happy with the vehicle. We'll see how they get the home screen issue resolved. I"m certainly not driving back for a 'software update.' Should have been done before I left.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
94 Posts
Quick question, when you say the "mapping app", exactly which app are you referring to? I know there are couple choices in the InControl app suite (for Android) and a Land Rover Route Planner app, I tried them all, but none seems to allow me get the route on my phone and then automatically transfer to vehicle navigation system once I pair the phone or connect the phone to the vehicle using the USB cable. Is there something I am not doing right?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
977 Posts
I tried them all, but none seems to allow me get the route on my phone and then automatically transfer to vehicle navigation system once I pair the phone or connect the phone to the vehicle using the USB cable. Is there something I am not doing right?
The transfer happens over the air, so to speak, and not via any type of physical connection. You use the app to look up and set the destination then the vehicle syncs to the InControl services and pulls down the destination you entered.

Sometimes this happens really fast and you get a pop-up on your car screen telling you about a new destination. Sometimes you have to manually refresh your destinations on the car screen. And sometimes none of this works and you just enter in the destination manually.

One thing that is consistent for me is that the vehicle needs that cellular connection or even wifi to be active so it can sync that data - this means it might be a minute or two before the car is online and able to sync.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First off, CONGRATULATIONS on the new vehicle. I'm sure you'll love it even more as time goes by.

You mention you had a "250" mile drive back home. Did you purchase in the same state you reside in? I have been told online and at the dealerships that they are very territorial and won't sell outside of their area. Just wondering if that came up in your purchase.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
245 Posts
I read that also, but can tell you my dealership in Pittsburgh sells numerous vehicles out of state.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, CONGRATULATIONS on the new vehicle. I'm sure you'll love it even more as time goes by.

You mention you had a "250" mile drive back home. Did you purchase in the same state you reside in? I have been told online and at the dealerships that they are very territorial and won't sell outside of their area. Just wondering if that came up in your purchase.

Enjoy
I live in Durango, CO and purchased the car in Colorado Springs, about 250 miles away. The only closer dealer is in Glenwood Springs, CO and I didn't have good luck with them in the past, as in saying it was going to take 3 weeks to get a car in for service. The Co Spgs dealer is the best car dealer I've ever worked with, for any brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read that also, but can tell you my dealership in Pittsburgh sells numerous vehicles out of state.
That's great to know. A couple of the dealerships here in Michigan and also in Las Vegas ran the "territorial..." line. You'd think they'd make it as easy as possible to secure the vehicle you actually want.

Thanks, I'll be in touch when that time comes

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
A couple of the dealerships here in Michigan and also in Las Vegas ran the "territorial..." line. You'd think they'd make it as easy as possible to secure the vehicle you actually want.
Their policies reflect the 2013/2014 status and they haven't revised them. Grey export was a huge deal for the L405 early on, and JLR imposed pretty rough penalties on dealers whose vehicles ended up leaving the country. The price difference between the US and some countries is over 2x for the same vehicle...
But then the Chinese economy slowed, and they started to tax privately imported vehicles like crazy, so this came to be a non-issue.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140721/LEGALFILE/307219975/selling-vehicles-for-export-angers-automakers-but-is-it-illegal

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same glitch with the screen not retaining the same last used selection as it should be whats more, I have the dual dial screen for my instrument cluster and selected navigation in the middle, sometimes, for no reason and non recurring it shows a RR picture in the middle instead of the map, I then go to setting and it correctly display my selection of navigation, so I have to select other option, then back to navigation to get it to display the map again. Annoying.
As per the Android apps it is totally useless, I have to phones a LG V30 2017 and a 2018 Samsung S9+ apparently both phones are not Androig Range Rover compatible *(%%$#%*, anyway I don't really care as the only application that is VERY useful to me which is Google Maps, and is not in the list of Applications you can "connect" overall the infotainment system is an improvement over previous years but still slow, much slower than a $400 tablet with a lot more functionality....again annoying.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the same glitch with the screen not retaining the same last used selection as it should be whats more, I have the dual dial screen for my instrument cluster and selected navigation in the middle, sometimes, for no reason and non recurring it shows a RR picture in the middle instead of the map, I then go to setting and it correctly display my selection of navigation, so I have to select other option, then back to navigation to get it to display the map again. Annoying.
As per the Android apps it is totally useless, I have to phones a LG V30 2017 and a 2018 Samsung S9+ apparently both phones are not Androig Range Rover compatible *(%%$#%*, anyway I don't really care as the only application that is VERY useful to me which is Google Maps, and is not in the list of Applications you can "connect" overall the infotainment system is an improvement over previous years but still slow, much slower than a $400 tablet with a lot more functionality....again annoying.
I know this will sound stupid but I 'fixed' the problem of the home screen not retaining buttons by adding the buttons right to left instead of left to right. In other words, my first button was the upper right corner, then down one, etc and then the next column to the left. Seems to be ok now.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That's great to know. A couple of the dealerships here in Michigan and also in Las Vegas ran the "territorial..." line. You'd think they'd make it as easy as possible to secure the vehicle you actually want.

Thanks, I'll be in touch when that time comes
This came up yesterday while I was waiting for the final detail on my Car, they are allowed to sell out of State but only in limited numbers per month, not as bad as the old days when we couldn’t even buy a car 20 miles away, around here anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts