RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Addressing UK folks here really. I'm looking to get my first car here in the UK. The car price isn't much a problem, it is much more reasonable than Asia, but keeping the car on the road is much more expensive. Now, I'm 21, male and student is not exactly the best criteria to get any auto insurance, so Range Rovers and the Group 20 insurance goes right out of the window.

With Group 3, I'm looking at 1.2k per year, which is still one hell of a lot of money, but if I don't start to build up my no claim now, I never would.

So the question is: What would be a good starting car?

I'm looking for (if not asking for too much) good value for money, ok performance, cheap-ish insurance (up to Group 4 I suppose) but most importantly, it has to be cheap to be maintenance and hopefully something I can work mostly on it myself (about time I get to know all parts of a car)

Currently looking at:

Pre-2002 VW Polo
2002-2006 VW Polo
Peugeot 206
Fiat Punto
Citreon C1
Mini One (much more expensive to run but a lot of fun?)

Any thoughts, comments, useful or not, would be highly appreciated.

Regards.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction to my above post: rubbish performance and dirt-cheap insurance.

And I'm not a fan of Japanese cars... sorry :oops:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did think of that, since we have a RSP at home and it would make perfect sense. Been on autotrader and a few others and the price is as much as the "new" mini. I will have to check in on insurance.

How's the A3? We have an A4 B5 at home and that's brilliant but a little too big and costly in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Series LR, dead easy to work on, loads of parts available.
Plenty of space for taking mates etc.
Just not as cheap to run, but you could find a tax exempt one.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
How much do you have to spend?
An original Mini had to be cheaper than a BMW MINI.
If you have the funds to buy new, Citroen used to do free insurance offers but I don't think they are at the moment.
Have you looked at the fiat panda?
If you're looking at A3s, I'd say get an 8P as the 8L has rust issues which Audi are trying to keep quiet. I'd also say it needs either the tirbodiesel or the 1.8 turbo petrol engine. 1.6s are very slow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
q-rover said:
It sounds good but unfortunately I live in London and it would just be impractical to have a large car about. Also, I'm looking for a small car, most of the time it's just going to be me in it.

Tim (Scotland) said:
How much do you have to spend?
An original Mini had to be cheaper than a BMW MINI.
If you have the funds to buy new, Citroen used to do free insurance offers but I don't think they are at the moment.
Have you looked at the fiat panda?
If you're looking at A3s, I'd say get an 8P as the 8L has rust issues which Audi are trying to keep quiet. I'd also say it needs either the tirbodiesel or the 1.8 turbo petrol engine. 1.6s are very slow.
Original Mini I found on several second hand car search sites are ranging from £2k to £5k... shocking isn't it? This is an example: http://www.autoweb.co.uk/WSCarDetails.asp?cdID=9446066

And a 2002 BMW MINI: http://www.autoweb.co.uk/WSCarDetails.asp?cdID=10875890 This is shocking to me as well... maybe I'll go stick a note on the 92 mini parked around the back of my flat. Insurance-wise, the costs are also very similar. The original mini will be cheaper to maintain for sure (and it looks a lot better)

I am looking to buy used as the price drop will be more acceptable when it comes to reselling, but I will look further into that Citroen deal. Will look at Panda now.

Thanks for the suggestion with the A3, it's a very good alternative to the VW (and Audi is just MUCH better)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
kanatejr said:
q-rover said:
It sounds good but unfortunately I live in London and it would just be impractical to have a large car about. Also, I'm looking for a small car, most of the time it's just going to be me in it.
An 88" isn't that big. :thumb:

·
Registered
457 Posts
A series LR would be great for London defensive driving technique you'll learn but they're easily nickable though that can be easily remedied.
One other downside of LR ownership in London is that many multi storey carparks are very low. I took the Rangie into London just the once, I couldn't get into 4 car parks I tried, the 5th was ok for height but very tight spaces and ramps.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Relative length

MINI (bmw) -- 3630mm
Mini (original) -- 3050mm
Audi A3 (8p, 2003 - present) -- 4215mm (4285mm - 5 door)
Fiat Panda -- 3538mm

Land Rover 88" -- 3620mm
Land Rover 90 -- 3883mm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts