RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa. My question revolves around a 1999 Range Rover 4.6 HES petrol A/T. We have renewed the plug leads and have googled/Auto Data'd, etc., etc., for the firing order, but the number of variations are overwhelming. Can anyone out there please help us with the correct firing order on this vehicle - please.? Thank you so much and really appreciate any help we can get.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Correct firing order along with diagrams for both GEMS and Bosch ignition systems are included in RAVE. If you are working on older Range Rovers you will definitely need RAVE at your finger tips.

As far as your individual question not much more can be said as you do not state if this 1999 is GEMS or Bosch.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
54 Posts
Couldn't see a reference in the copy of RAVE I have to the firing order changing for GEMS/Thor or for different years etc.

The engine tuning data section lists firing order for 4.0 and 4.6 as:

1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 2

Cylinder numbers:

Left bank: 1 - 3 - 5 - 7
Right bank: 2 - 4 - 6 - 8

Forgot to add this bit - Cyl 1 is the pulley end of the left bank.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
The actual firing order doesn't change. However the difference between the 4 coil GEMS and 2 coil Bosch diagrams makes a huge difference when you have fouled up lead install. Unless you work on P38s on a fairly regular basis you may as well be working blind without a proper diagram.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Traffmoos

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning. Thank you one and all for your advice and recommendations, which have been duly noted and filed. Subsequent to my request, it was found that there was no compression on this vehicle and it had blown the cylinder head gasket. Gosh, can it get any worse? Thank you all again and greatly appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good morning. Thank you one and all for your advice and recommendations, which have been duly noted and filed. Subsequent to my request, it was found that there was no compression on this vehicle and it had blown the cylinder head gasket. Gosh, can it get any worse? Thank you all again and greatly appreciate all your help.
Well, yes it can - but let's not get ahead of ourselves :)
It might be worth posting a close up of the top of the bores once you get the head off....
Best of luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't forget the trap. The trap is the mounting of the coils, remember you are looking at them, and their numbers, from inside the car, not in front of it, or on your knees on top of the motor, it helps to draw it out if you have a fresh lead install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts