RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought my 2012 HSE into my local RR dealership because the vehicle was shaking while in idle and the check engine light came on. After a week of having the vehicle, they came back with a repair estimate of $5300 for the timing chains and guides, spark plugs, 2 coil bolts and 3 coil connectors. I went ahead and approved the repairs, the day before I'm supposed to pick the vehicle up they call me back and tell me that now they're finding a compression gasket needs to be changed because it's causing coolant to leak out and this is going to cost an additional $7800. At this point, I'm wondering what my best options are. The car has 66,000 miles on it, I can't imagine it having these types of issues already.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
I can't imagine it having these types of issues already.
Timing chain guides are well documented, extensively discussed and there is even a LRNA TSB with redesigned guides. Between the 320 and 322 forums you find the text of the TSB, photos etc.

I assume by compression gasket you are actually referring to a head gasket leaking. I can only think of one reported head gasket failure on these engines. I would suggest finding a LR independent and getting a second opinion.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport
51 Posts
I would get a second opinion on the head gasket. Hard to believe it would be an additional 7,800 bucks considering they have most of the engine opened up to do the timing chains already.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
802 Posts
I smell a rip-off in progress.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would get a second opinion on the head gasket. Hard to believe it would be an additional 7,800 bucks considering they have most of the engine opened up to do the timing chains already.
Agreed, $7K is way too much if the engine is still open for the guides. The cost should be the delta in hours between the two procedures plus the cost of parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts