RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Supercharged, head unit stopped working. Took it to a local audio place. They fitted...

Alpine ILX-W650 (had to fit this as its has a shallow mount, so it doesn't interfere with the the air vent in the center of the dash).
OEM Integration Radio Wiring Harness
Standard Antenna adapter.

I'm blown away, all steering wheel controls works, the unit looks great (i'll post some pics later). Apple car play, spotify, reads text messages etc. A great set up.

Parts were $1000 and labor $600.

Hope this is useful if you are thinking of upgrading your headunit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for posting this.

I have had my 2007 Range Rover in the audio shop FOUR TIMES now with various parts trying to get almost the exact same thing done!

Please tell me what wiring harness you used!!! I brought in a Spiral Audio harness that is listed for our model years and they told me it doesn't fit and that the plugs don't match? They were even going to use the same exact head unit ILX-W650...

Anxiously awaiting your reply.

2008 Supercharged, head unit stopped working. Took it to a local audio place. They fitted...

Alpine ILX-W650 (had to fit this as its has a shallow mount, so it doesn't interfere with the the air vent in the center of the dash).
OEM Integration Radio Wiring Harness
Standard Antenna adapter.

I'm blown away, all steering wheel controls works, the unit looks great (i'll post some pics later). Apple car play, spotify, reads text messages etc. A great set up.

Parts were $1000 and labor $600.

Hope this is useful if you are thinking of upgrading your headunit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the receipt says is 'OME integration Radio wiring harness'. He did say that it had just been released. Krankitup in Medford, MA is the shop that did the work. Always call them and ask

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
181 Posts
Please update us on retained features, ie nav ,clock, original setting menus, button use retention, ect. We have been waiting a long time for a easy compatible unit.
Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no access to the original menus for the clock / trip computer etc. All the steering wheel buttons work apart from the 'phone' button. Pressing this does not active a call on the headunit. Not sure if future firmware updates will fit this. Of course the stock Navigation and CD changer are not available (it displays google maps / waze very well). I'll get some pics this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You cannot change the time. The Alpine head unit has a clock on it. I've seen other threads where the factory clock was removed and replaced with a clock that can be set by just using the clock. I dont have any other camera's, only the back up one.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
65 Posts
You cannot change the time. The Alpine head unit has a clock on it. I've seen other threads where the factory clock was removed and replaced with a clock that can be set by just using the clock. I dont have any other camera's, only the back up one.
Thanks, that's good info. I guess that also means the dash clock would also be wrong- in fact that entire clock and time system for the car would be off (I have a 2012 mind you, so it might not be the same).

There are always trade offs, but having a modern system in the display might be worth it, that's a huge issue with any older RR.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
336 Posts
Just get an iPAD mini and mount it in front of the current display.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
11 Posts
Looks very clean. I’ve been wanting to update my stereo for a long time. I’m going to see debate this to see if the new look and features is worth losing the clock and other OEM features like suspension etc.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Indeed - I make heavy use of my off-road navigation system when I'm in the woods on those obscure maze-like dirt roads trying to find a trailhead. There is no way I'd want to lose that. The 4X4 info comes up on the dash so maybe I could do without it, although it's usually my home menu because it looks cool and worthy of a Rover. The OEM music menu is not very good but I can live with it. I never use the phone menu thanks to Siri. So it makes no sense for me to pay to lose stuff so I can have a better looking music menu, hence my only half-joking iPad comment earlier.

Having said that it looks like a very clean install - great job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree you may want to keep the OEM 4wd Nav system, clock functionality etc. My head unit had stopped working so it was a no brainer for me as the alternative was a OEM replacement head unit (its not worth replacing)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Fair enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am installing this same alpine radio now. Instead of replacing the factory radio I am relocating the original radio to the upper glove box replacing the disc changer. Using the factory aux input. This will keep the clock functioning and also the Logic7 sound mode and center Chanel speaker.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am installing this same alpine radio now. Instead of replacing the factory radio I am relocating the original radio to the upper glove box replacing the disc changer. Using the factory aux input. This will keep the clock functioning and also the Logic7 sound mode and center Chanel speaker.
if you are going with an alpine head unit cant you do much better than the logic7? am i missing something?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts