RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my 2003 has been gaining gremlins, and after having it for 11 years, it seemed like a good idea to look for a newer one.
I did look for supercharged including Autobiography packages and found some nice reasonably-worn ones, some better than others.
They ran from about $24,500ish up to $34k+, reasonable prices for something like that in good shape.

I also came across a couple HSEs that were local. Those prices ran about $7k or $8k less than the supercharged.
I also compared HP between the 2012 HSE and my 2003 HSE. Big difference there. That made the supercharged not as important.

One local HSE I looked at looked as worn as expected for 96k miles without being garage-kept. Front left air shock had a leak between mid & high levels. $19,500. Not too exciting to me.

The other one ("Lux" package) I looked at was in much better shape. Two owners, first one corporate, second one a lady who took good care of it.
VERY good condition all around. The cargo area net is still in the bag! No scratches on any buttons, seats, panels. It has almost 113k miles, but looks more like a well-kept 13k miles. $18k.
There are some scratches on the driver door sill, but that's minor. Runs smooth but does idle higher than my '03.
'03 idles at about 600 RPM, where this seems to idle somewhere around 700-800 RPM.

I had just put a nice set of Michelin's on my '03 late last year too. Only about 6k miles on them. The '12 has a set of Nexens on it, not as smooth or quiet as the Michelins.
Too bad the '03 wheels are 19" and the 2012 rides on 20", or I would swap the tires.
But all of the electronics and gadgets in the 2012 are MUCH nicer. Better screen, better navigation, better everything.

One odd thing I did notice is that my toll road transponder can't be detected in the 2012 when stuck to the windshield unless I stick it up in the black dotted area in front of the mirror mount. If I can get it up there without it interfering with the light/rain sensor on the mirror mount, that'll be okay.
I don't know why this windshield would be that much different from the '03 windshield, but it is.

Now, what to do with my 2003? I'll have to figure that out now.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,952 Posts
new glass has reflective properties to reduce sun intrusion,
this also prevents the EZ pass from being read.
The rain sensor is inside the mirror mount so placement of the pass on the black area should work, road test it though

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys-
We did drive it before deciding. The air seems weak and might have some annoying problesm.
I have it scheduled for a check-up at the dealership, want them to give it a good look and let me know where it needs work.
Would've done that before buying, but I'm comfortable that I know enough about them to know if anything obvious is bad.
And it had a good history of maintenance, no accidents or major flags.
If someone kept it this clean they likely took care of everything else too.

I snapped a couple of quick pics...
2012 RRa.JPG

2012 RRb.JPG

2012 RR c.JPG

It starts quiet, but "spirited", revs a little higher than my '03.

I wish my RSW Solutions tool worked on it, or the SDD tool that I use on my wife's Jag, but all I see at this point that would let me do my own service such as oil changes (interval resets, diagnostics) is something called icarsoft.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... placement of the pass on the black area should work, road test it though
Thanks Merlin.
Sticking it right at the black dot area lets the system read it, road tested and confirmed.
It took me a few passes before I figured out there was a problem with it in the general windshield area though.
I had to make sure I had the license plate added to the transponder - they'll charge the tolls by plate # if no transponder is detected.
But it's TCO'd now.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Such a very clean one! Keep the 03 for those days that you feel like wrenching or splurging on parts or solving mistery oil leaks lol

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep the 03 for those days that you feel like wrenching or splurging on parts or solving mistery oil leaks lol
I'd like to, but I don't have space.
If I keep it, it would sit around and be neglected.
I need to get rid of it, but with a slipping transfer case chain, and some electrical gremlin that sets the alarm off occasionally and randomly, it's probably worth more in parts than as a daily driver.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
405 Posts
Going from MY2003 L322 to MY2010-2012 shows the significant improvements made in the L322 model.

While an SC is indeed very nice, the NA 5.0 is sufficiently powerful and responsive to not make it a necessity ;)

If you've not already done this, go to topix and input your new car's VIN to determine the original build spec.

It's handy to know what you have on board.

The A/C system controls are different enough to make it worth reading through the "new" car's owner manual to ensure you're getting the full benefit of the system, as is.

In particular, the central lower dash panel has several buttons which need to be selected to ensure operation (or not) of several systems.

Some advice....if using synthetic engine oil religiously change the oil and filter no later than 7500 miles or so to ensure the internal oil galleries don't gum up. Extended oil changes seem like a good idea, especially with the terrific choices of synthetic oil available nowadays, but there does seem to be a connection between extended oil changes and engine performance issues on the 5.0.

Rob

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If you get the icarsoft make sure you get the updated larger version that will reset service lights... the smaller version will not do that even though it says it does on some websites.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I would suggest 5K intervals oil is cheap compared to timing chains and guides and tensioners

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you've not already done this, go to topix and input your new car's VIN to determine the original build spec.

It's handy to know what you have on board.

The A/C system controls are different enough to make it worth reading through the "new" car's owner manual to ensure you're getting the full benefit of the system, as is.

In particular, the central lower dash panel has several buttons which need to be selected to ensure operation (or not) of several systems.

Some advice....if using synthetic engine oil religiously change the oil and filter no later than 7500 miles or so to ensure the internal oil galleries don't gum up. Extended oil changes seem like a good idea, especially with the terrific choices of synthetic oil available nowadays, but there does seem to be a connection between extended oil changes and engine performance issues on the 5.0.
Rob
Thanks Rob. I have suspected the AC of not working right or being low on R134a, but I might just need to read the instructions.
My '03 AC works great and all I've ever needed to do was add a can of R134a a few years ago.
I was thinking of adding some Ice 32 to help the compressor last longer & work easier.

I would suggest 5K intervals oil is cheap compared to timing chains and guides and tensioners
I'll certainly keep on the 5k oil changes as I have with my 2003.
It looks like this one was changed closer to or at the recommended intervals, but there's no sign of knocking or noise on start-up or while running.
I'm taking it in to the LR dealership in a couple weeks for an oil change & check-out. I may add some oil additive (Seafoam or some Lucas product) the week before to help clean it out before the new oil change.
Maybe I'll run some synthetic diesel oil through it once in a while to help keep the passages clean.

Thanks for the tips, guys!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you get the icarsoft make sure you get the updated larger version that will reset service lights... the smaller version will not do that even though it says it does on some websites.
Thanks Brad, I'd hate to get one that can't reset the maint intervals. There are at least two of those notifications, aren't there?
Do you know if the icarsoft is the best option for maintaining these at home?
Is there anything like R. Storey Wilson's RSW Solutions All Comms for the 2010 - 2012 MYs?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
181 Posts
I had the same transponder issue when I purchased my 2009 HSE. Read the forums to find out that LR missed this when designing the 2006-2009. It won't work in the blacked out area on a 2009. Forums suggested a license plate mount version, mounted behind the grill. Out of sight and works great.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Thanks Brad, I'd hate to get one that can't reset the maint intervals. There are at least two of those notifications, aren't there?
Do you know if the icarsoft is the best option for maintaining these at home?
Is there anything like R. Storey Wilson's RSW Solutions All Comms for the 2010 - 2012 MYs?
Not sure on how many notifications... As far as bang for the buck the upper tier icarsoft is great. It won't like you make in depth edits to the car but it'll let you read/reset codes and service lights. It'll communicate with just about every system in the car, air suspension included. Mine covers up to 2013 and it isn't just the range rover, all models are covered, it also doesn't mate with a car so you can use it on as many vehicles as you want.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
RSW has the 4Dcan product that works on a 2012, some reason you aren't looking at that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same transponder issue when I purchased my 2009 HSE. Read the forums to find out that LR missed this when designing the 2006-2009. It won't work in the blacked out area on a 2009. Forums suggested a license plate mount version, mounted behind the grill. Out of sight and works great.
Could it be the heated windshield ? They are full of wires. . .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Out of the frying pan into the fire? No one has mentioned the timing chain - has it been done? If not you are in the rattle-zone in terms of mileage.
Around here sellers aren't discounting to accommodate that fact (yet).

I have a 2010/11 brochure, & the updates from 10-12 very pretty nice, even if you have to do the chains.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you decide to sell the '03, post it here so at least there's a chance someone from the forum picks it up. Wish you were closer, I wouldn't mind a project L322 to add to the stable.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RSW has the 4Dcan product that works on a 2012, some reason you aren't looking at that?
I was not aware - Now I am, and I'll look for/at it now.

I didn't see it on the website, and I never heard back from him when I e-mailed a week or so ago.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Out of the frying pan into the fire? No one has mentioned the timing chain - has it been done? If not you are in the rattle-zone in terms of mileage.
Around here sellers aren't discounting to accommodate that fact (yet).

I have a 2010/11 brochure, & the updates from 10-12 very pretty nice, even if you have to do the chains.
No timing chain work recorded, but I listened and continue to listen on start-up, and not a sign of rattle.
Big difference where my 2003 rattles half the time... well not quite I guess.

But I did figure in that I might need to get that done on one I buy, that's why I looked for one that would be worth the extra cost above purchase price.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts