407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally.... I Like it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dutchfrompredator said:
looks good to me. any more pics? paint used? methodology employed? time it took?

Here are pics of the entire process. Took about 2 hours if you count drying times. 15 minutes if you don't. Paint is called Dupli-Color for trim and acc.

Trick is when you spray, never stop with sweeping motions and at the end of each stroke stop spraying and start when going the other way. I then let it dry and sprayed a clearcoat on made by the same brand. This only works on trim and plastic panel parts and not metal body panels. Also, make sure to clean the surface with alcohol before you start this process.

I dont want to make my truck look like somethings it not (COUGH)
I do however and have always upgraded my cars along the lines of "if it were made today, it would look like this" Ideology.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I see you didn't tape off the lower trim ... interesting.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rhino_ed said:
:oops:

Um, Yeah....About that..... anyone that does this please remember to Tape off the emblem AND the bottom paint section.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You pretty much have to dupli-color your whole truck now ...

·
Registered
494 Posts
vmystikilv said:
rhino_ed said:

Um, Yeah....About that..... anyone that does this please remember to Tape off the emblem AND the bottom paint section.
were you drinking? b/c drinking always gets me turning the old wrenches...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rhino_ed said:
You pretty much have to dupli-color your whole truck now ...
Gonna need to pick up a few more cans tomorrow. :oops:

There is a P38 Mesh grille on ebay. I gave this a try before I spent the cash on that. If I didnt like it I was just going to order that grille. But, I really like it so I am going to leave it for a little while. I know the plastic part will last forever, I sanded the paint section after I realized what I did and painted it also. I am hoping it sticks like the plastic section will. Time will tell. Either way, I am very well pleased, especially considering the crappy way it looked before.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dutchfrompredator said:
were you drinking? b/c drinking always gets me turning the old wrenches...

Amazing what boredom will cause you to do. I need to stay at work more.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kmagnuss said:
Now do under your lights and you'll be stylin.

Good work. It looks clean.

You know, I am looking for a post on how to take that apart right now. I dont want to have to paint them with them on if I do not have to. But if i do, I wont forget to tape the lights. :oops:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to take the lights out completely.

I'd just tape up the area and spray away if it takes too long to remove them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i did the same thing, with what looks like exactly the same paint...duplicolor black trim paint. you can kinda see it in my sig. looks awesome man!

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you took the grill off to paint it you were half way through the headlight removal, if you look in RAVE it will tell you how to take the headlights out and how to disassemble the wiper and trim piece, it only takes about 15 minutes to take the whole headlight assembly out and disassemble it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just take the headlight wipers off and tape off, way easier than taking the lights out, IMO.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Also looks good done in siler too, one of my customers got all DIYee and did his, i was impressed how good it looked on his navy blue

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just did this on my P38 !

Used a matte black from a local company called Hagmans. Very easy to apply and the result looks just like the original plastic but alot darker !

And this is what it looked like before :)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
i did that to mine as well. it looked like crap before. it looked like faded black paint.

good job

G

·
0 Posts
I found out that the paint doesn't bond to the plastic very well. after a couple hundred miles you see all the bug splatter and the paint that
has been removed by the impact. I tried a truck bed coating then. that seems to work a little bit better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts