RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted an l322 since I was 14. A good friend of ours had one that he'd bought new to replace his p38. I fell in love the first time I rode in it and he always told me I had dibs whenever he sold it. It was an 03 epson green/tan, and had 173k miles at the time. The more I read about them, the more scared off I became but there probably isn't a more meticulous guy on the planet than him. I wasn't worried about his. At 195k he was very seriously considering selling, and at the time the only issues he'd had were the front diff (under warranty), a light wiper, and a water pump. I can still picture how beautiful that truck was. We ended up losing touch and when we caught up a few years ago he told me he'd sold it with 220k on it. Probably sold an immaculate truck dirt cheap too. I've had 18 other cars since but most have been e46 wagons, ZHPs, 335s, etc. with one mk4 supra mixed in. A few weeks ago I was on my way down to Atlanta to pick up a BMW performance exhaust for my 335i when the seller stopped responding completely. Ignored all calls, texts, etc. but I was already 2 hours out of my way. I decided to stop at chipotle and peruse craigslist to see if there was anything worth buying to make my trip worthwhile. I stumbled on an 07 Rangie with 115k that had been diagnosed with a bad steering column by a BMW collision repair shop. I called them up and it was still available. Unfortunately I didn't have any tools with me but after the reading I'd done, it seemed there was a good shot of getting one start by disconnecting the battery/column plug. The shop was kind enough to let me borrow some tools and I even put the battery from my 4runner in there but no luck. The truck was pretty clean though, fully loaded with new Michelins, LUX package, both headsets, service history from the dealer, etc. I decided to make an offer. Said a little prayer and offered what I was comfortable with and the shop relayed the message the next day that the owner accepted my offer! As a cool side note, I googled the PO's name and it turns out he's a mega-multi millionaire. In Forbes magazine, etc. IMG_0974-3.JPG Getting a tow back was a royal pain because the wheels were stuck at near full lock and the parking brake wouldn't release without being able to turn the key. Got it home, however, and ordered a steering column from roversnmore on eBay. The column took all day but per his videos, I plugged it in before removing mine and it fired right up! What a great feeling! The best part was the air suspension raised right up as it should (this has always scared me--way too many rovers out there with nonfunctioning suspension and mine was sitting on the bumpstops due to sitting so long). For anyone with column failure, I'd highly recommend purchasing from roversnmore as he includes instructions which proved to be invaluable. It's really not a hard job but it's very tedious and there's a huge lack of information out there so having the reassurance was very nice. Not sure I'd have attempted it otherwise and I'm typically a DIYer. At the end of the day, I got everything buttoned up and the truck runs great!

Impressions? I love it. These trucks really do make you feel a certain way and they're surprisingly 'fun' for being so bulky. It's slower than I remembered them being, even though the Jag engine should have a little more punch than the m62. The BMW powered Rovers sound WAY better. Absolutely no comparison, but the Jags seem to be lower maintenance so it's likely worth the trade-off. I put about 1,000 miles on it in the week I was in town and enjoyed it all. Seems like it will need front control arms. The last day I was in town, I got a 'suspension fault. 30 mph max' error. Drove it around all day with no problems but it won't let me select modes or raise/lower it. I'm in England for the semester but my dad's driven it a few times and it's still at normal height. I'll address that when I'm back but I'm suspecting the compressor exhaust? Overall I'm very happy to finally be in a Rover and it always makes it more fun to be into it less money/have put the work in myself! Looking forward to being a part of this forum.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
Welcome to the family :) I'm relatively new here as well, having recently acquired a 2004 Range Rover with 158k miles. I got mine for $3000 because of a bad fuel pump, haha. I specifically went for a BMW-era one because I have a massive amount of experience with the M62tu, as well as all the special tools needed to work on it.

That color looks awesome, what is it?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
38 Posts
Congratulations! I have an '07 the same Sturmaway Gray but with the Supercharger. I've had mine since 2013, purchased with 83k, 135k now. I just purchased a GAP tool that should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait as I can fine-tune the suspension and analyze a lot of systems myself through my iPhone. My steering column has a mind of it's own and I've been nursing it along for about a year now. Will look at your recommendation. Thanks and enjoy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the family :) I'm relatively new here as well, having recently acquired a 2004 Range Rover with 158k miles. I got mine for $3000 because of a bad fuel pump, haha. I specifically went for a BMW-era one because I have a massive amount of experience with the M62tu, as well as all the special tools needed to work on it.

That color looks awesome, what is it?
Thank you! I really do love the m62. I didn't have a preference, as I just found a great deal but it's glaringly obvious how much better the BMW engine sounds. It's stornaway gray!

Congratulations! I have an '07 the same Sturmaway Gray but with the Supercharger. I've had mine since 2013, purchased with 83k, 135k now. I just purchased a GAP tool that should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait as I can fine-tune the suspension and analyze a lot of systems myself through my iPhone. My steering column has a mind of it's own and I've been nursing it along for about a year now. Will look at your recommendation. Thanks and enjoy!
Good to see these with higher mileage! I'll look into that tool, I'm sure it'd be tremendously helpful. Being new to these, it's awesome to find out about stuff like this. I wish mine was supercharged, I definitely see why they made them. Thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
Thank you! I really do love the m62. I didn't have a preference, as I just found a great deal but it's glaringly obvious how much better the BMW engine sounds. It's stornaway gray!

Good to see these with higher mileage! I'll look into that tool, I'm sure it'd be tremendously helpful. Being new to these, it's awesome to find out about stuff like this. I wish mine was supercharged, I definitely see why they made them. Thanks for the kind words!
Agreed, the BMW engine sounds downright musical when you step on it. Mine isn't supercharged but it's still rather quick for a 5300lb box haha. Takes a little while to get up to speed, but once it's going fast it goes very easily. It hits 100mph faster than anything this large has the right to. Mine has 158k miles and is still going strong— these trucks can last for a very long time if you take care of them.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have the 06 Jag supercharged, and the stock exhaust is almost dead silent! Sure is nice for sneaking around the bush unnoticed, but doesnt sound very impressive.

I removed my resonators and it gives it a nice low tone and some grumble, backfire noise on deceleration.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed, the BMW engine sounds downright musical when you step on it. Mine isn't supercharged but it's still rather quick for a 5300lb box haha. Takes a little while to get up to speed, but once it's going fast it goes very easily. It hits 100mph faster than anything this large has the right to. Mine has 158k miles and is still going strong— these trucks can last for a very long time if you take care of them.
Love hearing of these things with high mileage. I sure do love it. Oddly enough, my dad's been driving it while I'm in UK with no suspension errors anymore. lol now just to get it sounding like the m62 trucks.

I have the 06 Jag supercharged, and the stock exhaust is almost dead silent! Sure is nice for sneaking around the bush unnoticed, but doesnt sound very impressive.

I removed my resonators and it gives it a nice low tone and some grumble, backfire noise on deceleration.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I might give this a try if I keep the truck, the m62s sound so exotic!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts