RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went actual 4WDing, with rocks and steep inclines and declines and stuff..

I was only there as backup support for six guys on dirt bikes but I had a blast. The White Peril never skipped a beat, didn't even bottom out on any of the rocks or through the ruts. The track followed a set of powerlines for 30km and it took us just over three hours to complete it. We've got some video footage and some photos from the day so as soon as I get a copy I'll put them up....

I'm still smiling and so suprised at how well the Rangie handled everything I threw at it. :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
You should try the same course in a Landcruster, you'll end up with back pain forever.
So here's to you for finding out that a Range Rover can truly deliver....just keep away from deep water... it aint a submarine like a disco or defender

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny you should mention that, after one particularly nasty bit a guy came along in his stickered up lifted Landcruiser and had to take three attempts at one part, in the end he hit it so hard, the front wheels bounced up so high just as he gave it a bootful and I was sure he was going to flip it over backwards. He got up and stopped and I saw that he had three little kids on the back seat.. I thought that was rather reckless of him.

I didn't go up the same way as him, there was no way I had enough of an angle approach on the front of mine. If I'd been with a few other guys and was there to do some playing I may have had a go, but I had bikers to look after so I went the easier routes. Maybe next time and with better tyres. `)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hmm...sounds like that chap may have been in violation of the Land Rover off-road mantra of "as slow as possible, as fast as necessary".....

Maybe he should get a Jeep (hammer down!)... :lol:

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Hah! Rangies succeed where lesser 4WD's fail (much to the bemusement of Rangie drivers). In a recent trip outside Canberra (Oz) my P38A was the only vehicle to climb a particularly nasty hill where other 4WD's stalled, stopped or need winching

and

then I had the (scary) pleasure of reversing back down the hill to snatch a Mitsu that could not make it.

Only used the rear locker at the last bit...

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
541 Posts
^ bitchin' pics Paul! That looks like a good time, nice trail too. Thanks for sharing.

Tell us a little more about your Rangie's offroad mods.....

My mostly stock 96SE with 31's is every bit as capable as my ZJ on 33's, perhaps more so. Except I'd don't care about roughing up the ZJ on the trail with some PA pinstripes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Pics Paul. It's an eerie feeling lifting a tyre off the ground.. Well I thought so until I had opposite corners off the ground at the same time.. :shock:

Nice tyres too, mine are shot on the rear, I still have the OEM Michelins on and they are down to the wear markers, the fronts are Hancook but they are more orientated towards road work. With a more meaty tyre I would have maybe attempted a few of the harder paths, but as a re-introduction to serious four wheel driving I thought my choice of directions were wise.

I definately want to get out and do more though now... :dance:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts