RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally narrowed it down to either the Cooper ltz's in a 285/60/18, or the Cooper STT 275/65R18. They will be on LR3 wheels. Anyone have any input? How do the STT's fit. I like that there taller, but there not wider....

All input or reviews are welcome!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
On my 2005 RR I had the Cooper STT's in that size - loved that tire, and was amazing offroad with everything I threw it at (also pretty reasonable in snow). Also, looked great and got many compliments on it. Had to mold/heat some of the plastic fenders, and there was a bit of rubbing in certain situations, but otherwise was pretty good. The biggest concern would be rubbing of the right-rear fender (fuel line is behind there, I believe). But it was never a problem.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
Oh, forgot to add, still have those wheels and tires, so as soon as the rotors on my SC are shot, gonna swap them out for the HSE rotors and stick the wheels/tires on it!

·
Registered
543 Posts
G'Day.

Personally I would choose the best of both worlds & get the Interco SS-M16 in 285/65R18 which can fit on an 18"x8" wide rim.

The Super Swampers are a heavy tire for this size compared to the Cooper's, but you get what you pay for in 32.6 inches ?

Also tyre pressure is also important loaded or empty, as this will have an effect on the sidewall with around 30psi on board.

Depending on how hot it gets in summer your way as Coopers have serious de-lamination issues in the Outback heat of OZ !

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
32.6" will be hard to do without a lift and some serious trimming, as the ~32.1" Coopers are already pushing it. Add to the mix the fact that the 285's are a bit wider than the 275 and you might even have some issues with the suspension components and struts.

I didn't take as many pictures as I should have, but I dug these up...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dude.

General Tire offer several size options in an At2 pattern which has great response in other threads from other vintage machines from our Land Rover clan & at least this All-Terrain tyre comes in the factory standard fitment of 255/60R18 too !

The have listed on their current web-site www.generaltire.com four other options as 285/60R18 (31.5") - 275/65R18 (32.1") - 265/70R18 (32.6") & 275/70R18 (33.2"), but just check the speed rating of your beast as this could effect your insurance ?

Codynt has the standard 18x8 inch wheels on his beast which look and fit great with the 32.1" Coopers, yet as littlehandegan confirms his Disco3 rims are 18's & if I'm not mistaken these are 18x7.5 inches-this will effect which tyre size is appropriate.

Typically where a wheel is half an inch narrower the same size tyre will sit 0.5" lower in height than that specified O.E.M. measurement and 'bulge' more at the same pressure, compared to the factory 18x8" example which would sit broader and taller respectively. The resultant clearance issues of the shock or suspension components comes into conflict here also.

So as you can see from the theoretical table stated above, by opting for the 265/70R18 equivalent brand of manufacturers rubber, this should give a fitted tyre on a 7.5" wide rim static height of 32.1" with a cross-sectional width of 10.2"[259mm].

Hope this helps.

Cheerio,

Vinniman.
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
25 Posts
codynt, are your rims from a p38?

i tried using a rim from a 2000 p38 but the cetering hub on my 2004 RR is larger than the center of the rim. Did you need to modify the rim or hub?

Also I assume the fact that the spare is on the roof rack is that it wouldnt fit in the boot.

Love the look of the truck.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
defender said:
codynt, are your rims from a p38?

i tried using a rim from a 2000 p38 but the cetering hub on my 2004 RR is larger than the center of the rim. Did you need to modify the rim or hub?

Also I assume the fact that the spare is on the roof rack is that it wouldnt fit in the boot.

Love the look of the truck.

Thanks,
Ron

I do beleive he said somewhere that they were early production L322 wheels....I'm sure he will chime in for sure :thumb:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
The rims are an earlier L322 design (pre-'05 I think) from outside the US market, so no mods needed. The spare won't fit in the boot space. Might consider a swing-away carrier for the back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great thanks, I may machine some hurracanes and see how they work out.

I built a swing away carrier for my defender. I'm thining of building one for the RR.
Cheers,
Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts