Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my backup rover '00 P38 has been throwing fits... mainly after one high water event, (Another story):naughty:

I have taken the BECM out, cleaned and inspected the boards and had truck running well for some time now. One day no start, gearbox fault, Fuse 6,7,17 failed fuse 20 failed.

I figured as most would low voltage so i put the charger on it got the volts up 13.5. still no start, no power to the gearbox.

removed BECM inspected everything looks ok, slight corrosion and moisture which i cleaned up nothing appearing to be shorted.

re power up, sync key fob go to ignition position 2 and still fuse 6,7,17 failed gearbox fault.

check voltage at the post feeding 6,7,17 12.8v

check voltage at the fuse .7v

I figure relay 10 isn't making good contact or has failed.

jump 12v from post to fuse 6 .............gearbox powers up shows P in the display so were clear for lift off and....................cranking .................cranking almost........... no start.

I stare at the becm there uncovered and venerable and wonder why??? what else is can this thing do to keep this truck from running???

Lets have some good science here so far I have overcome everything with the vehicle alone my laboratory but now I need a little help please.
IMG_4306.jpg IMG_4307.jpg IMG_4308.jpg IMG_4309.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I messaged scotty offline about changing relay 10 for me, I wonder what else is wrong now.

Well at least I have a more reliable rover to drive for the time being

IMG_4312.jpg

·
Registered
690 Posts
Basics! If it's cranking over, has it also got sparks and fuel?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No spark, no fuel, just cranking.

I could of course make it spark by rigging up something janky and fuel it manually but that would be bypassing the system that is malfunctioning and not addressing the real problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
So is the BECM turning on the ECU and fuel pump? Grab the RAVE CD, your multimeter and a cup of tea, and get back out there... ;-)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Not a case of the BECM and engine ECU having lost sync?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah good thinking, I'm going to try to manually power the ecu, I'm just so stuck on the gearbox side of the board powering up, I might be in a slight panic. I'll see if I can get her running then make dash switches to pore the components... Haha what a workaround.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
You can bypass power systems all you want... however if you have indeed lost sync the code handshake will still not happen and the ECU will not fire.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Did you check your Maxi fuses in the engine compartment fuse box?
Ususally when multiple show that they're failed, it's a big maxi fuse in there that has failed. If it's a '00 then fuse 7 has your transfer box and transmission ecu on them.

Worth a shot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
image.jpg

It is the strangest thing, I confirmed ecu power up and sync with my jumper hooked up to fuse 6 it ran the abs pump which wasn't running without the jump . I was questioning my little alligator clip it was providing bad voltages on the power board 11.5v some places, so I clamped the wire on the 12v post there and really pulled some juice to the transfer case by going to low range then for some reason she started right up. So I'm putting it back together and will jump some keyswitch pos 2 power to fuse 6 and backfeed the power board and drive around for a while. I wonder what I can melt down with this janky rig up. I'll put the full coverage back on this thing just in case.

At this point in this RRovers life it's hard to peel out a grand on a BeCM swap.

image.jpg

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Are fuses 6,7 and 17, still failed?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I backfeed fuse 6 with 12v it powers the fused 6,7,17 circuits. Everything has power no messages on the message center. It seems like the easy way to get power there since relay 10 refuses to power up the circuit. I just don't have the time or confidence to de solder that relay off the board.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Can you hear the relay pulling in? Maybe a wee shot of contact cleaner will sort it out. I'm trying to get hold of a BEMS (ideally mostly working with possibly some knackered functions) to play with. Having seen photos of the insides of them, they look pretty simple and easy to work on.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
If RL10 is one of the NEC relays, then you could try swapping it with one of the others on the board.. The one at the top/right of the board in your 3rd picture above (by the green connector) is for the heated seats, but the same actual relay type. De-soldering them and re-soldering should be easy enough.

Have you tried desoldering the faulty relay and looking underneath it? I had a problem on my power board where one of the windows wouldn't wind up, and it was because the track from the driver IC to the coil of the relay had corroded through - running a direct jumper wire fixed it up.

I think also the NEC relays might be used in the door outstations (from memory) might be a cheap way of getting a replacement one... (just make sure the part number is the same as there are a couple of different versions of the relay in the same packaging)

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
476 Posts
Exact same problems I've been having for quite some time. Have a new becm on the way from Scotty- battery, fuse box, and cables have been replaced with new. Some grounds have been checked. I'm at a loss. Was there any update here?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was just reading 100's of threads working on the 4.4 jag engine and I was so frustrated when they were inconclusive.. And here I am on my own becm thread not finishing the story......

so I sent the becm to scotty and said "replace it" he suggested to test it first.... I said no way its a total loss i need something else.. so he replaced it...

installed it on the p.38 and she came back to life for a minute or two but then wouldn't run well, and I was jumping fuel pump solenoids and what not... so scotty says get a new fuse box.

ordered a new fuse box... everything is perfect, still my daily driver 2 years later..

only thing that I cat get is the rear wiper and fuel lid, those two are offline for some reason, doesn't bother me too much

·
Registered
139 Posts
..im wondering, is it available, anywhere, electronic schematic diagram (components level) of BECM ??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts