RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Ladies,

I've been running a GT3 and a Macan turbo in New Zealand, and it's clear it's Landrover time: paved roads about 30%, gravel roads about 40% and station tracks or dirt track with deep stream crossings and rocky footing about 30%. I'm debating whether to order a FF RR with spare and mount 275/55/20 a/t's, or an SVR w same. I hear conflicting stories whether SVR can have a full size spare and skidplates.

I like the sportiness of the SVR, but logically the GT3 and incoming GT4 can supply this, and I like the styling of the FF much more, and it's deeper wading etc...

I would appreciate your views on which would be better all around with so little pavement driving and so much track driving. No real off road planned but the tracks can be quite bad and stopped the Macan.... I hope to hear from RR and RRS guys - let me know if you think I need to ask this on the sport forum also.

cheers
watt

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pick comfort (RR) or sporty handing (Sport). You can't have both unless you have a RR and a 911 so go full size. That is what I did and sounds like what you are doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I am researching a 2016 RRS SDV8 Dynamic, for off road touring, towing a caravan.

I have noticed threads on the Aus Aulro & UK forums with a 2014 RRS crossing the Simpson Desert. The vehicle was running 275/55/R20 Pirelli Scorpion ATR tyres with no rubbing or scraping issues. I want these tyres fitted by the dealer, who is checking for compliance with the yet unseen MY2016 tyre placard.

Re your possible SVR, I have viewed a page from an AU MY16 document with wheel & tyre changes:

a unique SVR 22” wheel will be available in all markets.
These wheels have limited off-road capability, vs the existing 21” wheels have no compromise.
22” wheels are fitted with Continental Conti Sport Contact 5 Silent tyres (295/40 R22 112Y) .
This wider tyre gives improved road holding / handling / wet grip on tarmac vs the dual purpose M + S tyre.

This is an unusual tyre:
http://www.continental-tires.com/www/tires_de_en/themes/car-tires/contisilent.html

If this 295/40 R22 tyre does get fitted to the 2016 SVR, it will be a guide for all current RRS vehicles for the maximum outside diameter and width tyre that will safely fit inside the body.

Unfortunately that's all the info I have. The SVR seems to be ideal for planned usage. I don't think it has a low range transfer box.

Cheers

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
11 Posts
Take the RR not sport. More room and comfortable on track and on road. If you want a bit of sport go for the SC but I run the SDV8. Running on 20 inch rims but when change in 2016 will still stick to same format except 21 inch rims. Can't have everything in one car. You have GT3 for play. Best of luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

Hi Cromwell,

We spent a few months earlier this year in Wanaka and went way into Hunter Valley Station and The Dingle, as well as Glen Lyon by Ohau, where we uncovered the 4wd flaws in the Macan turbo!!! On a track the station Defenders and the possum trapper's hilux handled with ease....

I am thinking the supercharged for sure as we drive fast on sealed. On wheel size, if Im ordering a 2016 are you saying there are plenty of a/t tyres to choose from in 21 as well as 20? Compared to stateside, i had trouble finding a/t for the Macan turbo and when I was researching Cayenne turbo. Are you saying I should order 21 inch? All my research indicated more a/t choices in 20. Thanks

Do you find roadside service for Landrover to work? I see the dealer network is extensive compared to Porsche with only 3 dealers.

I must say Porsche roadside service and Continental car Services provided amazing service in Wanaka when we busted a PASM sensor in the MT. They also flew the service manager down to Linkwater to complete repairs and service the Gt3.

We will be down at Highland park on the track next March, some Porsche guys and maybe we can say hello. Cheers watt

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
11 Posts
Hi Watt

If your using the RR for on and off road you will have to make compromise with rim size. You mention you will use on road at speed so a higher rim size is better and vv for off road. I'm looking at upgrading to a 2016 model but I'm thinking about going to a 21 rim this time as I spend more time on road than off. If you are although having a/t tyres then you will be better off with 20's. I do enjoy the SDV8 diesel but if your going for supercharged you may get good price as they tend to stick around.
I looked at a GT3 but rather require a GT based car so may go for Aston or the Porsche 4S. You have plenty of time to check out people's options. Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts