RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im 20 years old and this will be my first time buying a car. Im looking to get an 05 or 06 range rover. Nothing over 50k miles. Never had a car so i dont know what warranty covers, i plan on getting extended warranty if the car doesnt already have it. I have heard that these trucks have a lot of random problems and thats what im afraid of.

the thing is i dont drive much, meaning i dont go on long trips all day and what not. So i wont be putting 10k+ miles a year. I love this truck and theres no other truck on the market i would want but i want to know a few things with like what problems usually happen and if warranty will cover them? and what does warranty cover. sorry for the stupid question. :oops:

·
Registered
16 Posts
First question is how much do you want to spend.. I came from good beginings but I don't think I'd be willing to spruce the cash for an 05 or 06 landrover... I can sell you my 02 bmw m3 if your interested.. not trying to dissuade you I am new to the forums but it's quite a heavy purchase..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure what im willing to spend, my parents will be getting me the truck. Just trying to see what im in for when i decide to get it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just a rough guess, but one that your describing is going to run around 30k, and that is not including a warranty- tack another 3,000 a year for that... Just an FYI.. for that you could get yourself into a brand new explorer or something like that and If i was looking for my first car I would want one that is brand new instead of something out of warranty.

·
Registered
952 Posts
lulbert said:
not sure what im willing to spend, my parents will be getting me the truck. Just trying to see what im in for when i decide to get it.
If you're looking for honest opinions, a used off-warranty Range Rover is never cheap even if the purchase price seems cheap. If you're still in a position where you rely on your parents to buy you a car you should probably be looking at more affordable vehicles. Save the luxury cars for when you have some of your own money to spend.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
remington said:
lulbert said:
If you're looking for honest opinions, a used off-warranty Range Rover is never cheap even if the purchase price seems cheap. If you're still in a position where you rely on your parents to buy you a car you should probably be looking at more affordable vehicles. Save the luxury cars for when you have some of your own money to spend.
I really REALLY hate to give a neg feadback to someone interested in these tempermental beasts, but I have to agree with the above. I have been obcessed with leaky British heaps even when they really aren't all that British any more. Unless you are really ready to learn to turn a wrench, get greasy and fork out a bit of allowance, I'd be looking at another marque. If you can land a killer warranty package on a pristine example, then go for it!

The forums and search function will be here for you. I would highly suggest reading the home page common issues sections inside and out if you are serious. If you are really serious, spend a few nights readding ALL of the posts in this section. That's what I did for the Classics and P38s before I bought either. Thanks to boning up and help here I made killer deals on both.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, I wish I could have bought a few years old Rangie when I was twenty! But, I couldn't have. If you can and really have the desire then I am sure you will love it.
I think you should consider though that IT WILL NEED MONEY SPENT ON IT at some stage. It's just part of owning one of these. If your parents are buying it then who will have to pay for any repairs and for the regular maintenance required to keep it in good order? Who will have to pay for the hundred litre tanks full of fuel that seem to vapourize as soon as you turn the key? If it is you then I hope you are prepared for it and if it is your parents, you need to decide if it's fair to give them that burden?
Personally I am happy to pay more for servicing and have the possibility of expensive repairs as I enjoy the vehicle so much. Everyone is different however.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Agree w/ the above - their not very British anymore. But, the look is classic and can't beat the off road capabilities... However their VERY expensive unless you can fix it yourself. If you still want one, I'll sell you my '08 :) . Getting rid of it for a BMW X5 diesel. With all the deals out there, I'd get a new Ford or Toyota maybe. Good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright im asking what does warranty cover, doesnt warranty cover lil these random problems?

Gas is not a problem, i know they waste a lot because one of my cousins has one, thats when i fell in love with it. Like i said before i wont be driving it all day, i probably wont even add 10k miles a year. I will be paying for the gas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Warranty pretty much covers everything, but the model your looking at will be out of warranty within 6 months whether it be a 2005 with low miles or a 2006 with decent miles... I just bought mine and it's a 2006 with 8,000 miles left on the warranty after that i'm out of pocket for everything.. just a heads up.. i'm mechanically inclined and the ones I can't do I have small shops around me that will do the work for small fees.. you sure you don't want my M3 LOL...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what about extended warranty? wouldnt that cover the same thing?

ill just put it this way, really with the car, insurance, and gas, money is not a problem. what im really asking for is reliability.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It depends on what you are trying to achieve... Why do you really want a RR?

Were I you, I would have my parents invest in LR D90 instead. A very rare car that maintains it's value, fairly easy to maintain yourself and none of your friends will have one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts