RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to replacing the headliner material in the P38

Figured I would share a few pics before I start my next project, valley gasket.

More than happy to answer any questions, provide other pics, etc. just let me know!

[attachment=3:4ohiksnd]headliner1.jpg[/attachment:4ohiksnd]

[attachment=2:4ohiksnd]headliner2.jpg[/attachment:4ohiksnd]

[attachment=1:4ohiksnd]headliner3.jpg[/attachment:4ohiksnd]

[attachment=0:4ohiksnd]headliner4.jpg[/attachment:4ohiksnd]

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
yeah that piping looks good.

Is there an OEM part for the sunroof part of the headliner and the also the lining trim that goes around the main part of the headliner around the sunroof hole - I have been told there is not but I replaced my headliner a while ago and these two outstanding pieces now look all the more tatty.

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I did turn out well, I do have to admit it was not my first time doing a headliner, I used to work in a Perfomance/Aftermarket/Car Stereo shop and spent much time covering interior parts, sub boxes, pillars, and headlines.

Andy, I actually was going to replace the material on the moonroof shade but the original material looks OK still and matches the new headliner well. If you do try and replace it you would need to drop the moonoof assembly to pull it out, really not that difficult to do. Then you need headliner material with the thinnest foam backing you can find. I used 1/4" foam backed headliner material for the part I just did, I think it would work OK on the moonroof panel but seems thicker than the current material. I actually bought enough to do the panel so I may try and do it in the near future.

The surrounding trim piece actually holds up the headliner around the opening for the moonroof, again, mine seems to be in good enough condition that it matches the new material so I did not worry about replacing it. I would think that if it can no longer be sourced from Land Rover you may be able to find the equivalent at a automotive trim shop.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks ESP - I'll have a hunt around the trimmers shops - if anyone knows a good one here in Melboure can they let me know please. I've used a couple on other things but none of them blew my dress up.

Looking at your photos it looks as if the pillar trims are different to mine - I'm guessing that you might have stripped all the fuzzy stuff off with spirit - is that right - I've never seen what they look like with that done - any chance of a close up photo.

Cheers

Andy

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
803 Posts
ESP said:
Andy, I actually was going to replace the material on the moonroof shade but the original material looks OK still and matches the new headliner well. If you do try and replace it you would need to drop the moonoof assembly to pull it out, really not that difficult to do.
I have just re-done the headlining and moonroof shade on two Rangies. Getting the shade ( its called the "sun roof - sun shade" in Rave) is simple from the top. The number sequence in Rave is out of sync by one number with the illustration but you can work it out easily. Basically remove the glass and then a few screws from the right hand sunroof rail and push the rail aside. Thats it. The sun shade can now be removed. If any one needs a more detailed explanation I can post it later.

The pic is the sunroof guide rail viewed form the top of the sun roof aperture.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Im just did my roof and sunroof

The sun roof is hard to close becuse I used the same materail with foam backing that I used on the roof. I think it will work it's way in after a few uses.

I used the same trim around the sunroof I just matched the materail with the trim and visors.

At the same time I also removed all the fussy stuff off all the pillars.

Good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
andyaa said:
Thanks ESP - I'll have a hunt around the trimmers shops - if anyone knows a good one here in Melboure can they let me know please. I've used a couple on other things but none of them blew my dress up.

Looking at your photos it looks as if the pillar trims are different to mine - I'm guessing that you might have stripped all the fuzzy stuff off with spirit - is that right - I've never seen what they look like with that done - any chance of a close up photo.

Cheers

Andy

Andy, I will try and take some pics of the pillars today, I did remove the flocking.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ghur said:
ESP said:
Andy, I actually was going to replace the material on the moonroof shade but the original material looks OK still and matches the new headliner well. If you do try and replace it you would need to drop the moonoof assembly to pull it out, really not that difficult to do.
I have just re-done the headlining and moonroof shade on two Rangies. Getting the shade ( its called the "sun roof - sun shade" in Rave) is simple from the top. The number sequence in Rave is out of sync by one number with the illustration but you can work it out easily. Basically remove the glass and then a few screws from the right hand sunroof rail and push the rail aside. Thats it. The sun shade can now be removed. If any one needs a more detailed explanation I can post it later.

The pic is the sunroof guide rail viewed form the top of the sun roof aperture.
Great to know, since now I feel like I should have done the shade to match the rest 100%

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark_CT said:
Im just did my roof and sunroof

The sun roof is hard to close becuse I used the same materail with foam backing that I used on the roof. I think it will work it's way in after a few uses.

I used the same trim around the sunroof I just matched the materail with the trim and visors.

At the same time I also removed all the fussy stuff off all the pillars.

Good luck

How thick was the backing on the material used? That was my one concern with recovering the shade.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted how-to's on headliner and sunroof replacements. You guys just saved me about 600.00 USD here's a picture of a pillar i was recovering I'll get the rest of the rover later.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
I replaced mine last week.

I took the roof board to a motor trimmer and he did the recovering for A$110.

I refitted it. I also replaced the rear drain tubes as one was squashed flat.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
andyaa said:
Is there an OEM part for the sunroof part of the headliner and the also the lining trim that goes around the main part of the headliner around the sunroof hole - I have been told there is not but I replaced my headliner a while ago and these two outstanding pieces now look all the more tatty.
Certainly for the trim around the hole. My local LR dealer told me the price yesterday.

BTR2697LUM Finisher, Mist Grey (Gray in US speak :) ), aperture-sunroof

I had the sunshade recovered at the same time as the roof board.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nuyorican420 - That looks amazing!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts