RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a 23F who graduated from college last May. I recently bought my first car- a CPO 2017 RR Evoque HSE. I work with a bunch of guys who drive trucks or Subarus, most of my bosses don't even drive luxury cars. We all make good money and to be honest, my car probably cost as much as my coworker's brand new cars, but I have gotten so much grief at work that I am starting to become self conscious of my new car and regret the decision to buy it. Any tips on how to reply when people tell me I wasted my money or that I am going to regret maintenance costs?tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
415 Posts
I would say don"t worry about it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think you may find more support for your hairdresser's car on the Evoque board : o)

·
Registered
67 Posts
More than BMWs or a Benz people talk about Rovers. I don't really know why. Regardless you're driving a very classy vehicle, some would say ostentatious, and it will get you, the owner, a lot of attention. You're not rich or snobbish, or trying to be, so why are people acting this way but you're also 23 and driving a 'rich person's vehicle'. You're young, have a good job, and drive a nice car. People are going to notice. I bought my first Rover in my 30's and I talked about it because I was excited and it was fun but people were still weird about it. :)

There is a lesson here about keeping your work and personal life separate. Owning nice things can be political. If people want to give you advice, about how they think Rover's are unreliable and expensive, just shrug and say "I haven't had any problems with mine at all." If they keep going don't get defensive, just say "Wow. I've not experienced that. I don't know what you've heard but I've not had any problems with mine." Your vehicle is none of their business. At some point though you may have to shut them down. I went with direct eye contact, and 'I really don't need to talk about this anymore.' A guy will understand that.

When in a group of guys you will often be the only Range Rover owner present. They know that your car costs more than theirs. That's okay. Bring up the AC in the seats, the crazy nav system, the adjustable air suspension, the full leather interior, the 14 speaker audio system, the camera in the rear view mirror, the turbo. Mention the kangaroo leather interior. (It's cow but still say it b/c it's funny, and they will believe you.). Talk up the cool fun stuff. Listen a lot and be appreciative of their cool car. I think you're just not aware how much people talk about cars and you bought a really cool one. If you stop talking about it people will stop talking about it too.

Kind of a rambly post but hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
2019 Velar L560
33 Posts
People judging others by what they drive is all kinds of stupid (see, e.g., post above referring to "your hairdresser's car"). Unless you are rocking a used Corolla, you made an irrational decision regarding your vehicle, and guess what, that's OK as long as you can afford it. I didn't suggest the Velar to my wife (I was pushing for the Macan), but she loved it and it makes her happy. End of analysis.

I drive a Chevy Volt because I wanted to dip my toe in the electric vehicle pond. I'll need to dive it 120,000 miles to justify the extra expense compared to a similarly sized sedan that gets decent mileage.

Your coworkers in Subarus don't have much room to talk about reliability (ask them how often they need to add oil to their motors).

The truck owners can't touch the Evoque's safety rating.

Bottom line, is that if the Evoque makes you happy and you can afford it, that's the end of the analysis. Give the car a cute name* if you haven't already and just smile and say "[Name of car] makes me happy."

* Wife named her Velar "Posh" ... only semi-ironically.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Pollo - your username implies that you should be able to understand irony, no?

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
People that aren't into cars don't get it no matter what you drive. They drive around in something that gets them from A to B and they have no interest in it other than as something that they have to use to get there. So when someone has something a bit different, they can't comprehend why.

·
Registered
67 Posts
People that aren't into cars don't get it no matter what you drive. They drive around in something that gets them from A to B and they have no interest in it other than as something that they have to use to get there. So when someone has something a bit different, they can't comprehend why.
How does that make sense? If a car is nothing but a means to an end to someone why would that same person still notice or care what anybody else drives? The people I know that feel this way drive boring late model vehicles and never talk about cars.

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
No idea how it makes sense at all but I've found people that aren't interested in cars seem to assume that the boring box that they drive is perfectly adequate so can't see the point in anyone buying anything other than a similar boring box. It's no different to those that don't understand why anyone would want to spend money on a used car when they can lease a brand new one.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Classic
97 Posts
I am a 23F who graduated from college last May. I recently bought my first car- a CPO 2017 RR Evoque HSE. I work with a bunch of guys who drive trucks or Subarus, most of my bosses don't even drive luxury cars. We all make good money and to be honest, my car probably cost as much as my coworker's brand new cars, but I have gotten so much grief at work that I am starting to become self conscious of my new car and regret the decision to buy it. Any tips on how to reply when people tell me I wasted my money or that I am going to regret maintenance costs?tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/
Look, you will never quiet those people. First off, tell them you didn’t buy it to be an off road vehicle like their trucks, it drives way better, and if they think yours sucks because it isn’t as tough as their allegedly off-road minded trucks, tell them their trucks suck too (although the Subaru is a great vehicle for what it is designed to do). What I would say to truck owners criticizing you is you just got a large car not an off-roader. Who goes off roading in an Evoque on purpose after all? Or in a RR Sport? I take my FFRR ATB in situations you would probably call “off-road” but I don’t count that because it’s only on actual roads, whether they are gravel roads, dirt/mud roads with sometimes deep ruts or turn rows in a field. But I’m not dumb enough to intentionally do much more than that because (1) range rovers aren't any good in true off road situations without a lot of modifications on top of just rims & tires that you would never do to a new one (dont worry though because neither are your co-workers’ land cruisers, Tahoe’s, or anything other than Jeeps and pickup trucks...and even Jeeps and trucks suck if all you do is install off-road tires & skid plates), and (2) none of the components on your stock vehicle or theirs aside from maybe the axles are adequate for off-road use (if plastic panels are getting ripped off and you don’t even have a real bumper attached to the frame, then it’s just pretending to be an off road vehicle). That’s all assuming their real complaint is that your Evoque isn’t as tough as their super duper Faux 4x4s. If they really are only focused on the maintenance issue though, I would remind you that they are all hypocrites anyway. Everybody knows the type. While they might claim that your Evoque, or my Range Rover is an unreliable POS, I’d be willing to bet you just about every dime I have that they wouldn’t say a **** thing negative about my 1972 International Harvester Scout II. It can hang with the most extreme off road vehicles in existence and would embarrass every stock vehicle made today in off road use whether it’s mud, rocks or snow, but while the Scout won’t quit no matter what I do to it, the last way I would describe it is reliable or easy to maintain. It’s a complete money pit, and I have to carry around various tools like flat head screwdrivers to adjust the carburetor everywhere I go. Despite that, I’ve never heard a single person tell me I wasted my money on it, or spend too much on parts, or that is a POS that is always in the shop, or that is puts off a near dangerous level of exhaust into the cabin, or that it gets less than 5 MPG fuel economy. In short, my 72 Scout is a huge waste of money if your looking for reliability, and over time it probably costs me way more than your Evoque, but none of your coworkers would say a **** thing negative about it (unless maybe if they are Bronco fanboys). Hell, they may even own a money pit classic themselves but will continue bashing your car anyway without even thinking about the hypocrisy of doing so. Granted, my Scout goes up in value while yours goes the other way, but the point is none of those people really have a much better vehicle than yours (especially for off road use) and they don’t hold all vehicles to the same ridiculous standard they are holding your Evoque to without hesitation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My spouse gives me grief about our RRS HSE td6. Yeah, they cost some bucks, but there is so much more to a Range Rover than all the luxury features. I don't know if you have a Land Rover Experience Center in the UAE, but you should find out where the nearest one is located. Ideally, you can drive there for an "Owner's Appreciation Event," and discover what your Evoque is capable of doing. This is when you will be able to fully appreciate it - and once you are at that point, nothing anyone says will matter.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
392 Posts
Enjoy your classy ride - tell them because of the “reputation” a cpo used doesn’t cost much more than a new Toyota and maintenance is covered !!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
341 Posts
the Evoque and other similar crossovers aren’t despised by A-B types, more by “enthusiasts” that thrive on hating somebody else’s car choice.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
"guys who drive Subarus", seriously? Just ask them if they are driving their wife's car today. Even at my age, people want to tell me the Range Rovers have poor reliability and their friend's broke down all the time. I tell them I've owned 3 and love them. Or that I don't like generic cars. I get that at 23 you probably still care what people think of you but it will pass. Kind of like the clothes you wear or the music you listen to, people will judge. Let it go and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
14 Posts
I'd keep it simple. My response would be: "I bought a CPO at about half the cost of a new vehicle so I didn't get hit with the huge depreciation expense associated with purchasing a new car. The CPO warranty coverage is close to being as good as buying a new vehicle - so I'm covered if there are problems. At the end of the day, when I trade it in, my cost per mile should be about 25% to 40% less than the average truck or Subaru sitting in the parking lot."

That changes the nature of the conversation. You didn't buy a Range Rover. You effectively bought what is close to a new vehicle at about half price. That sounds pretty smart to me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't think the PO is there, we're all wasting our breath

1 - 17 of 17 Posts